AX210 Wifi issues in Ubuntu 21.04

I’m curious if anyone has experienced issues with the AX210 in Ubuntu 21.04 with the Linux 5.11 and/or 5.12 kernels, as I’m trying to diagnose my own issues.

Here is what is happening: The wireless adapter is present, but it takes forever to acquire the list of networks, and then fails when attempting to connect. This happens with both the 5.11 and 5.12 kernel. However, I am in a location where the only wireless connection is an Eero network, and so I wonder if it’s possible that the Eero and the Intel AX210 don’t play well together (unfortunately, I don’t have admin access to the Eero network and can’t diagnose from that end).

For the meantime, I’m using a TP-Link AC600 Archer T2U Nano USB wireless adapter, which works just fine with the Eero network here, so I’m hoping that when I’m next in a location with a non-Eero wifi network, the Intel adapter will work without issue. But I’m curious if anyone else has had a similar experience. I’m just hoping that it’s not a defective AX210.

Did you see this thread? Using the AX210 with Linux on the Framework Laptop

I did, and like I said, the behavior is the same for both Linux kernels 5.11 and 5.12. The adapter is recognized, but the performance is unusable - I can’t connect to the Eero network where I’m staying, even when I’m right next to it; the connection fails during authentication, and only after it’s tried to connect for a solid minute or so.

I can connect to my phone’s hotspot, but my signal is pretty weak here. It was enough for me to install the proper driver for the TP-Link wireless USB, which is what I’m using right now until I can test the AX210 on a different network. (I’m on vacation at the moment)

I’m going to speculate that it’s possibly your Eero network that’s the problem. I installed 21.04 last weekend and my networks list lit up immediately with the 20+ access points run by myself and my neighbors. I don’t know if anybody in my neighborhood runs an Eero mesh and I can’t see it, but I can see all the others (including my Asus RT-AX88U).

Thanks RL. Which kernel are you running out of curiosity?

Just another 21.04 AX210 data point: it “just works.” I was able to connect to my AP during installation and it’s been working just fine since, including right now.

kernel version: 5.11.0-25-generic

2 Likes

I was using the default kernel that comes with the latest 21.04 install image, 5.11.0-25 I think. I also messed around a bit with 5.12.19 and that automatically connected to my wifi AP just fine, although I didn’t go back and look for other networks.

1 Like

@nate_smith Could you double check if the antenna cables are connected fully: WiFi Replacement Guide - Framework Guides

4 Likes

Excellent suggestion @nrp! I checked, and indeed, the antenna were not properly seated on the card. I fixed that, and the AX210 wifi is now working superbly. Many thanks!

3 Likes

Excellent! Glad to hear that. I added this to our Knowledge Base.

1 Like