Batches Shipping Log

Whooo! Half way to batch 16! Yes!

3 Likes

Just received email that Batch 8 is preparing by April 4th!! YES!!
Looking forward to getting it soon to the Midwest of the USA!

1 Like

Anybody think any manufacturers will have 64Gb ram chips hit production before our batch ships? Iā€™m planning on running 96Gb of RAM, but didnā€™t place an order with RAM just in case I could get 2x64 chips when my laptop was readyā€¦

1 Like

I was hoping for same thing. I am purchasing 2 48gb sticks for 96gb which honestly is fine for me thought I do a lot of virtualization its more than I have ever had in a pc so Iā€™m going for it.

Batch 8
Framework 16 email was sent to me this morning.
Expected to ship in 4-21 days.

2 Likes

I havenā€™t found any announcement yet, let alone actual product offers. So no, I donā€™t think there will be anything coming this year. Looks like the market is getting too small with the big notebook manufacturers using soldered memory or switching to CAMM.

2 Likes

I concur with that statement. I just hope CAMM comes down and price immensely. Dell currently wants 1999 for a 128 gig Camm. Now crucial and other manufacturers just need to start making camms so they can bring price down.

My batch 7 has arrived!

9 Likes

My batch 7 arrived today. The laptop is amazing. The BIOS is terrible if you choose to dual boot. The 2230 and 2280 show up without issues though. The touchpad has a noticable gap on the left side between the touchpad and the housing. Itā€™s so easy to remove the GPU and use the expansion bay cover. Iā€™m so excited to play with this laptop. Just donā€™t reset the BIOS as a troubleshooting step. Youā€™ll lose all boot entries, RIP Windows :sweat_smile:. If you install Windows then Linux, Linux will permanently disappear from the BIOS the next time you boot into Windows. Windows is on the 2230 and Linux is on the 2280. Hopefully this information helps someone.

2 Likes

What? How are you supposed to dual-boot then?

Is this a problem more people have? How did you fix this? It sound worrying!

1 Like

I feel like this might be an issue with the setup. I canā€™t try it myself rn as I only have one SSD, but past experience tells me that this might just be windows doing BS that may be able to be prevented.

For example, grub could be used to switch between the OSes.

2 Likes

Iā€™m batch 11, and will install 2 ssdā€™s. So hope this is a configuration issue and is easily solved.

1 Like

Yeah Iā€™m sure it is. Dual boot most of the time just works, but thereā€™s times when Windows and/or Linux just donā€™t wanna be nice to each other (90+% of the time itā€™s Windows). I was struggling a bit to get a working boot entry on the FL 13, but that was just me being stupid and entering the wrong directory for grub-install. The boot entries would be created and show up in efibootmgr, but disappear the moment I rebooted. After figuring out that I was using the wrong directory, it immediately worked perfectly.

I just need to figure out how to install grub that it shows up without doing anything - I think that might not be possible, youā€™ll always need to use the grub-install script to create its entries. Likely itā€™s something like a standard path where the UEFI always checks to create boot entries itself but grub maybe has a different layout by default?

2 Likes

There just was a big earthquake in Taiwan. I hope everyone is ok?

8 Likes

This probably is solved by selecting the right boot device (ssd) in Uefi.

No, thatā€™s not the issue - if thereā€™s no boot entry, the SSD canā€™t be selected for boot. Well, unless you create some sort of structure that is expected by the UEFI so it creates an entry by itself (which is what windows must be doing).

Anyways, letā€™s not deviate further from the original point of this thread.

I hope that everyone is fine after this earthquake!

I donā€™t have an easy answer for that. Iā€™m going to submit a ticket with Framework. Until then you might have to install Windows, then reset the BIOS and install Linux. The GRUB bootloader can start Windows, so itā€™s less of an issue now. Itā€™s just annoying because I didnā€™t expect it.

Itā€™s really annoying, but the only answer I have at this time is use GRUB to boot Windows. Iā€™m my case I reset the BIOS then installed Linux. I will submit a ticket and hopefully theyā€™ll issue a BIOS update. I doubt it will be fixed quickly.

Edit: Try installing Linux first. That might give preference to Linux, then you can use GRUB to boot into Windows.

You only have two options in BIOS boot first and last. Both got me into Windows before resetting the BIOS. It just forgot I installed Linux. Itā€™s really weird.

I hope everyone in Taiwan is okay after the earthquake.

1 Like