Battery Charge Options

So is there an update now for the bios or is it actively being worked on?

I would like to purchase, but no threshold charging will prevent me from doing so.

Thanks.

It’s apparently on the todo list but the currently available firmware does not have it.

I would like this option as well. Where do we find the latest firmware?

1 Like

Add a vote for this feature. At least in the BIOS setup. Opening the EC firmware will also enable us in the community to build a userspace control app.

1 Like

Honestly, anything to prolong battery life is something that will make this laptop more appealing compared to competitors. Hope it gets added in the future.

I wish it would have similar battery to the new Macbook M1 but that laptop is in it’s own class.

1 Like

If its exposed in EC, TLP might easily configure that :slight_smile:

Follow up BIOS guide - #28 by Animesh_Sahu for that if you use linux

3 Likes

Would you mind sharing the EC address, so that we could set it ourselves with RWEverything?
Also, thank you for not locking down access to the EC! My previous laptop (a Dell) had this completely blocked off…

2 Likes

It appears that TLP requires an update with the correct EC address for the Framework laptop. As far as I know, TLP doesn’t use an ACPI Method - case in point most ASUS devices.

1 Like

+1 to this feature: carefully maintained LiPo batteries can last years longer than those kept at 99% charge. This seems like a feature well aligned with Framework’s “devices shouldn’t be disposable” ethos. Glad to hear it’s a TODO - I’m looking forward to this BIOS feature!

2 Likes

+1 for this available in Windows. My 6 yr old Surface Pro lets you cap charging, but it’s fixed at 50% and only available in the BIOS…not very user-friendly.

Chargie’s are a bit better. I can default the max charge for my Note 9 and override it with a few taps in the app. Limiting charging is great at keeping devices running in longer than intended.

2 Likes

Right now, I imagine standby battery use is the top priority, but I just wanted to chime in on this for Windows. It would be great to limit battery charging to 80% there as well. Although I wonder if I configure it in Linux on the dual boot if those changes will stick in Windows?

2 Likes

I would also love to see this configurable in the BIOS and in Windows/Linux. If I’m plugged in a lot, keep it capped at 50%, if I’m on the go bump it to 80/85%.

1 Like

I agree that being able to configure a charge cap from windows/linux would be great, I would be perfectly happy even if it was only configurable in the bios. I don’t want to change the charge cap all that regularly, maybe 2-4 times a year, so it wouldn’t be terribly inconvenient to enter the bios.

4 Likes

I recently received my Framework notebook and love the build quality. No threshold charging would normally be a deal breaker for me, but not for the Framework because it seems like it will eventually happen. That would be much appreciated!
In the meantime, I am running a Python script along with a TP Link smart plug to maintain a charge threshold.

1 Like

Is there an ETA when this feature will be implemented?

2 Likes

I am a little out of the loop on the jargon, what is EC in this context?

2 Likes

Embedded Controller, it controls battery, display, a bunch of things really

5 Likes

Any word on threshold charging? I’d be perfectly happy with any form of it. Just having access in the BIOS is better than nothing!
Please implement this feature. Even the “throw away” notebooks have it.

4 Likes

I second this. I’m very happy with my laptop, but this is my number one request.

4 Likes

Here’s another vote for this feature. The vast majority of laptops on sale today support limiting the battery charge – Framework should too. I’ve limited the battery charge to 80% on every laptop I’ve owned for the past several years – it does wonders to prolong the battery life.

2 Likes