Best charging cables

Can be done over USB A

Or USB-B 3.0. Or USB-B 2.0. Or USB Micro SuperSpeed. Or USB Micro A. Micro B. Mini A, Mini B. USB E-SATA Hybid. Headphone jack (iPod Nano). Lightning. Samsung 30 pin. Apple 30 pin.
It’s just a example to show that the connector and the protocol are two different things, even though usually the connector is the indicator. But no, not with USB-C.

Well that’s not my experience, and you are making a generalised claim. This may not be suitable for some, but for example with a 3 year warranty

so far my experience with all the (albeit, cheap-ish) braided cables end this way. More so than cheaper (standard) rubber cables.
I think the reality is that if you buy any quality cable it will carry quite far. Regardless of whether it’s braided or not.

2 Likes

Either the USB-C to USB-C from Apple…or maybe this:
https://www.amazon.ca/Anker-Powerline-Charging-Charge-MacBook/dp/B093GHXQB9

Yes, but note that this cable only supports USB 2.0 speeds. So it’s mostly for charging and won’t support video output or high-speed data transfer.

I personally only would get USB 3.x cables, so i can mix and match cables as much as I want and don’t have to keep track which cable supports power delivery and which supports super speed and so on.

2 Likes

I personally have 2m cables for charging, and 60cm cables for data transfer (shorter length, less likelihood of picking up noise).

2 Likes

I recently bought the above mentioned Apple C-to-C 2 meter cable, for a different application (still usb-pd tho), and it does have one advantage I have not found in any other, otherwise comparable cable. That is, its the only one I’ve been able to find that has a low-profile flange (the plastic bit around the actual connector.)

That might not really matter to you. It wouldn’t factor in for use w/ the Framework really. My situation was a usb-pd port was too close to other I/O ports on a device, and cable flanges were physically interfering with each other. Obviously, thats just a bad design flaw, but I needed to deal with it, and it turns out low-flange is apparently fairly uncommon on cables of appropriate qualifications for usb-pd. Again, you might not ever run into this, but it seemed worth mentioning, esp. if you think you’ll be charging lots of different things with said cable (e.g, I’ve also had similar issues with, say, the cutout on a phone case interfering w/ flange in the past.) I will say, if you do run into that, it is very frustrating.

4 Likes

Yes, I’ve had a similar issue but would never buy an Apple product :slight_smile:

@amoun if you have a comparable product, I’m all ears. Not particularly fond of Apple myself, but I legit could not find another option meeting those criteria

1 Like

No I’ve adapted cables and cases etc.

Could you clarify the cable and even provide the dimensions > I’m happy to look for an alternative.

There is this one but clearly I have no idea if it’s the one you mentioned and there is no specs :slight_smile:

I recently made an investment in the new Anker Series 7 stuff. 120W Charger and Large Power bank (24k one I think, with the liccle display). Paired it with the 6ft USB-C - USB-C cable of the same series.

So far has performed absolutely solid and even better than stock charger & gear available. Mainly used for my phone and work laptop (Dell).

Looking forward to see how it will hold up once my placement ends and I return to uni.

Best Regards,
Varg

To be clear, my problem is resolved, I’m not actively still looking for something. I was mostly mentioning it for posterity, as that had happened to me recently, and could be a consideration for some people.

The Apple cable I was referring to is linked toward the top of this thread. As far as “specs”, one thing that made my original search difficult is this really isn’t something that manufacturers list at all; and, you know, that makes sense really - I think most times it becomes an issue are fringe cases. For my particular situation, smaller was just better, and that was the one I landed on that worked.

2 Likes

There are a few links above, how would I know if it’s the same one as you have ?

@amoun there is only one Apple cable actually linked above. Oxplot posted it

Yes I saw that, it appears to be the same as the one in the link I added, but I wasn’t sure if it is the one you bought.

Thanks I’ll try and get the specs for it.

This is something I’ve never had a problem with, but it is interesting how low-profile apple’s USB-C connectors are compared to the Anker and Google cables that I have laying around my house.

I also don’t want to give money to apple, so I may try looking for some good alternatives next time I buy a cable, just in case I ever encounter a situation that needs such a cable!

2 Likes

low flange means the shell have to made to be strong (and inflexible), which is not good for a stress-relief, so the connector have to be at least 2-piece. Which increases cost.
Also, define “low flange”. Both Belkin and Anker make some similar cords (compared to Apple). Baseus have a bit more flavor in their cord (and I don’t like that), but also have some really narrow connectors.