11th Gen BIOS 3.07 + Windows 10 and (11 Alpha) driver bundle

Very good question…once I get my laptop I’ll see if my wife’s Dell docking station’s power button works with it. My dock doesn’t have a power button (and sits hung under the cable tray of my desk anyway so it’d be pointless!)

Kieran,

Have done BIOS upgrades before, but nothing as manual as yours. So, the USB stick, should it be FAT32 and bootable?

TKs

@anotheruser @teknoguy1212

Looks like this has been fixed: https://github.com/FrameworkComputer/EmbeddedController/commit/d8fa4cc0f83d49d3c912cc8a5bfed2823bf662a9

Downloaded and installed BIOS 3.07 as soon as I saw it. Been using it for about 4 weeks now (on Windows 10). Battery charge limit works as expected. No issues. Thanks!

Oh snap – I wasn’t aware that there’s a public repository! Thanks for sharing!

It was just published :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Hello,
I wanted to know if version 3.07 will be stable for the arrival of computers in batch8 of February?
To know if I install Win10 or Win11 at the reception.
Thanks

I believe framework have declared BIOS 3.07 stable on Windows. I am expecting Batch 8 machines to come with 3.07 preinstalled, I think the only reason they wouldn’t is if their declaring it out of beta wasn’t in time for the production run :thinking:

Shouldn’t be crazy difficult to update before using the machine meaningfully either way, I hope!

Good question. Having enjoyed BIOS upgrades as part of a windows update on more manstream computers, such as Dell and HP, this manual system is less than ideal. My Batch 2 laptop has 3.0 bios, so upgrading is something important to me, but am not willing to do so until such time as Framework makes it easy peasey.

Used the EFI shell update mechanism and it “Just Worked”. Downloaded it, unzipped it, copied all files to a VFAT-formatted flash drive, and booted to it after plugging in the power. The process is fairly automatic and was smooth.

I should note that I had 3.06 earlier (mine’s a batch 5), so I’d ask around to see if skipping BIOS versions could be an issue. The other thing is that the BIOS update wipes the variables that control the boot process (for example, if GRUB (which is used to boot Linux) has been installed and registered with the UEFI system, that will be cleared on upgrade). There is a workaround for that posted somewhere on here (basically, run sudo grub-install --removable and that registers a ‘failsafe’ option that will boot properly, after which you can run sudo grub-install to re-register the normal boot option). I don’t know what the deal is with Windows, though (I suspect they automatically install the ‘failsafe’ boot option so it shouldn’t be an issue).

1 Like

Is there a way to sign up automatic notification for new BIOS releases, rather than that I have to constantly check this forum? Also I have a question regarding the Windows drivers bundle. After installing the bundle, I no longer see the Power Management option to specifiy a time for the laptop to hibernate. And the only way I can trigger hibernation is either I close the laptop screen or via command prompt. This happened both the Windows 10 and 11 drivers. Can someone update me as to why that is the case and what’s the workaround for that?

2 Likes

I know how to turn on Hibernate. As I mentioned in my post, I can hibernate the machine when I close my screen, or run it directly from command prompt. However, my issue is the fact that I cannot specify a time for the laptop to hibernate through power settings under control panel.

Here is what I mean:

1 Like

It’s supposed to be like this on any platform that supports S0ix connected standby. Windows has a “power budget” – typically 5% – that it uses to determine when to hibernate.

By default, the device will sleep until it drains 5% battery, at which point it will hibernate.

I believe there are issues disabling CsEnabled can cause on platforms that support S0ix. I guess that’s your tradeoff to make: sleep issues because tgl is not officially specced for S3 sleep, or not being able to set a hibernate timeout and instead having to rely on drain.

Ooh how did you do that? Those options look far more useful!

Given the seemingly 5 million different reasons windows has for not going to sleep or for randomly waking from sleep, I always have a preference for a hard set time after which it’s forced to hibernate…sleep is such a hopelessly unreliable method of turning a computer off!

Just be mindful, as mentioned the hardware is designed with hybrid sleep in mind (S0). S3 is not officially supported on the hardware. Instead of disabling S0 on Windows, I would just enable hibernation. In this way closing the lid will sleep (S0) the device. But you are able to hibernate via the power GUI, or by changing the lid / power button action.

Like this you are still able to suspend the laptop for about 2 hours (if you have no audio software up and running), or you can reliably hibernate. Super stable and rock solid. With the NVME drive in there, you resume from hibernation incredibly fast.

3 Likes

@nrp Curious if there will be the possibility for those of us that have received a Framework to be on a mailing list for new BIOS/driver releases?

1 Like

But I don’t want closing the lid to do anything per se. I simply do not trust any computer to go into or stay in standby, full stop. I want it to automatically hibernate after a given amount of time idle in any state! It doesn’t seem much to ask….Dell manage to give that option on 11th Gen Intel…

Ok, then just remove that from the power profile. The lid does not have to trigger anything.

My response was more in general then to your particular case. My point was, trying to use S3 with a device specifically designed for S0 is more trouble then just living with S0, and being able to control hibernation.

1 Like

Interesting. Seems for reasons unknown, Microsoft automatically hides the Hibernate After x minutes option in Windows 11 if the computer supports modern standby. What a stupid thing to do!

Apparently it can be returned to the power profile options :thinking:

2 Likes

So i tried today to switch to windows 11 (wiped the drive, started over) and during setup the everything works fine, but once I’m in the OS it wants me to update the drivers. Each set of drivers I’ve tried (3.06, 3.07) has failed to make the wifi work. Windows knows there’s a problem, but it can’t seem to figure out whats wrong. The wifi worked perfectly with no driver bundle, during setup, but after installing the proper drivers it fails to function. I’ve now started over with different systems and bundles 3 or 4 times, and nothing is making the wifi functional. Any tips?

I even just now reflashed 3.07 itself, and that didn’t help either.

Edit: I installed the drivers from intel themselves and now after a restart its working just fine. I don’t really understand why it would have failed before, but alas.