11th Gen BIOS 3.09 Beta release

Seems common with BIOS updates, my other laptops and even my desktop does the same. I’m guessing the CPU frequency controls are rudimentary while in the BIOS.

I already fixed it, see my earlier reply. I guess both are valid methods to reset the USB PD or Thunderbolt controllers.

It’s not that it’s CPU demanding…it’s because the EC is being flashed. At that point. you’re left with no power management…safest bet is “Fan on”. This behaviour is common in many laptops.

4 Likes

fwupdmgr worked for me. Humming along and all things are good. Thanks Framework for the continued excellent work!

3 Likes

Noticed a typo in the 8254 clock gate option:

albeable

6 Likes

It is both upgraded and restarted. Unless your custom fan curve was implemented by way of reflashing the EC, any reboot had the potential to reset them.

FWIW, with this EC design it is still running the old version while it is being upgraded. The code is copied to and executed from RAM, and is only reloaded from flash on reset. Even so, lower power states are disabled in preboot.

4 Likes

Updated from the Windows end. Had to re-select my Artix GRUB as 1st boot inside the BIOS, which worked fine. Then had to re-enter my Bitlocker key when I swapped back over to the Windows install. Other than that, the update is :chefkiss: - I noticed my battery draining slower inside the first hour or two.

2 Likes

Updated from windows, secure boot stayed intact, my linux drive booted without issue as well.

4 Likes

I can report a successful upgrade from 3.07 to 3.09. I am on Slackware, the only hitch was that I had to re-install grub fully (from a live CD). I haven’t checked the battery drain or the BIOS menu options yet.

1 Like

Updating now from LVFS, but now it’s been stuck with the green bar full and fan on for over 30 minutes. How long is the update supposed to take?

I’m sure my Win 11 path of update took about 10 min max ??

Around 1h30m at this point. I’m considering forcibly restarting…

Edit: It did complete in the end. Boot entries are gone as others mentioned

1 Like

So all these BIOS update issues and workarounds for folks on Linux? :thinking:

Just checking before I update my Windows setup.

Not much of a work around, just had to reinstall GRUB to as the boot partition is written over. :slight_smile:

1 Like

to be clear, even on linux, “workarounds” and issues are only a thing on legacy setups.

using a typical installation with an efi partition and systemd-boot, fwupdmgr does its job and the BIOS upgrade, once done, takes you to a working machine without the need to do anything. no “reinstalling the bootloader” and no “reconfiguring kernel entries”. none of that.

1 Like

What I’m asking is…does the BIOS install just fine like on any other laptop running Windows?

Just double click the .exe and follow the prompts, job done.

3 Likes

I notice the bullet point about fixing battery drain in off state: does this also address the battery drain during suspend on Linux?

Can confirm zero issues following LVFS instructions on Fedora 36 with LUKS, going from 3.07 → 3.09. No fiddling needed; everything seems to be working perfectly. Secure Boot was off for me, in case that matters.

Update took maybe 15 minutes from changing the /etc config file to flashing the BIOS (this did feel slow, but definitely not 90 minutes slow like a user noted above!) to being logged back in. Never used LVFS before but I’m impressed!

4 Likes

Yes that was it. The fan got a bit busy but all is fine :slight_smile:

2 Likes

After the upgrade to BIOS 3.09 the fingerprint sensor is more stable and is working reliable. Ubuntu 22.04 lts

1 Like