BIOS 3.09 to replace Incomplete BIOS 3.08

Apologies for the slowness on this. The 3.09 BIOS itself is prepped, and we’re staging the download and release notes.

24 Likes

Awesome! Can’t wait to give it a spin!

1 Like

(Hitting refresh frantically on the BIOS upgrade page)

4 Likes

Available here now: BIOS 3.09 Beta release

13 Likes

@nrp do you have any estimation of how long 3.09 will remain classed as Beta?

1 Like

Likely quite awhile…because technically, even 3.07 from last December was a beta…all this time.

1 Like

You can watch the Knowledge Base - BIOS releases page below. Technically the 3.07 Windows version is not labeled as beta anymore. The Linux version is still beta. There is no 3.09 on the page yet.

1 Like

That’s good to know…

But, on track? What track? Is there a 3.10 coming in a couple of weeks? Why is there this foreseeable couple of weeks? Something to do with the release of the 12th gen mainboard? Some kind of a unified BIOS (is that even possible)?

The 3.09 Beta BIOS is on track to lose its “Beta” status in a couple of weeks.

Yes, I understood the meaning…but I don’t understand what it implies.

What makes it not a beta in a couple of weeks. Why a couple of weeks, specifically. What is that track / plan?

To say something is on track for a future event to occur means there’s a set of sequence / expectations between now and then to occur / not occur in order to get from here to there. And that sequence is planned for, anticipated with some degree of projection.

Alternatively, I could also ask: What could set it off-track…and stay on beta?

i.e. If it’s still not obvious: I’m saying, there’s a roadmap…and we don’t know about it.

@Second_Coming Beta and final release software versions can be identical, the difference is just the degree of confidence that it doesn’t contain significant issues or bugs. I would assume that they are waiting for enough people to have installed it without issue that the confidence increases to the point where the Beta label can be dropped.

I understand that. Question is why a couple of weeks. Some kind of download counter…estimating the install base of the new BIOS? Why not four weeks? Why not Aug 1st?

The other thing about road map: Let’s say Framework is still around 15 years from now… How long will 1st gen mainboard be having BIOS updates for?

Now that is a question worth asking.

LoL…Yeah, I guess I do generally tend to ask a lot of questions…off on a tangent.

Regarding BIOS updates support (you already know…but I’m just saying the following for clarity to others): It has some degree to do with EOL, planned refresh cycle…especially for those who use it for work and / or purchased via the business / corporate program (if any). For the general population, some may not care so much as their consumer laptop background / experience / expectation with BIOS update support is usually just around 2-3 years, if that. In the corporate world, we tend to see anything from 7-10 years.

There are at least two ways to look at this:

1. We’re not sure if Framework will be around for how long…so, we’ll cross the bridge when we get there.
  2. It’s already planned for x years, built into the pricing model, and best guesstimate on operating cost…etc.

Either way, there’s no transparency as to which it is…or neither.

I genuinely think it is a good question worth asking. *I was also poking fun :smiley:

We don’t know and FW possibly do not have a plan that far ahead.

I would expect them to support BIOS updates as long as there is a reasonable install base and a need. In other words significant security issue.

I know. It’s all good.

Sometimes, I just wish they give us that hard-to-swallow pill. If they don’t know, say so. If it’s hard to plan for, say so. That’s transparency.

I get where you are coming from. I feel they have been comparatively (to other manufactures) transparent overall. The RTC issue was something they probably needed time to investigate further before making a statement. A statement that would be view by many analysed and cross-examined for details.

Being transparent immediately may have been the better choice-“We don’t know why this is happening but will get back to you” I can see both sides but they are probably cautious as a start-up how to proceed. Not saying they were right or wrong in how they are/have handled it.

the other consideration is that until coreboot support becomes a reality, framework are subject to decisions made by insyde. If they decide to stop releasing updates for this platform then there’s not a lot that framework can do about it.

Yeah, there’s that, too. But again, we don’t know jack…

When you buy a Chromebook, they publish when EOL is expected. The same goes for some smartphones. Insyde knows how long they plan to support a platform for. I’m sure Framework asked that question about Insyde before selecting it. One would hope, at least…

1 Like