11th Gen BIOS 3.09 Beta release

This version is superseded by 3.10

We do not recommend you install 3.09 due to a battery charging bug.

3.10 is available here:

BIOS 3.09

We are happy to release an updated BIOS with a number of hardware and security fixes.

Bug! There is a charging bug in 3.09 we are fixing. The system will not charge the battery in the off state if the system is powered off and plugged into a charger within 1 minute. In this state the charging LED will indicate charging. If this happens, either charge the system with the system in on, or sleep mode, or unplug the charger, wait 2 minutes and then reattach the charger and charging will commence again

Downloads

Windows

Download link removed due to charging bug.

Linux

EFI Shell

Download link removed due to charging bug.

Instructions for EFI shell update:

1. Extract contents of zip folder to a fat32 formatted usb drive.
  2. Disable secure boot in BIOS.
  3. Boot your system while pressing F12 and boot from the thumb drive.
  4. Let startup.nsh run automatically.
  5. System will reboot, you can unplug the thumb drive.

LVFS update

Updating via LVFS is available in the testing channel
You can enable updates from testing by running

fwupdmgr enable-remote lvfs-testing

Currently LVFS support has regressed due to fwupdmgr defaulting to file based capsule update on newer versions which is not supported in our BIOS.

Please set DisableCapsuleUpdateOnDisk=true in /etc/fwupd/uefi_capsule.conf before applying this update, otherwise the update will fail.

LVFS may not update if the battery is 100% charged. LVFS uses the battery status to determine if it is safe to apply updates. However if our battery is at 100% and the charger is off, we set the battery charging status to false. In this case you can discharge your battery a few percent, then plug in AC again and run fwupdmgr update.

Warning! Update may cause your system to lose boot entries.

Updating the BIOS firmware will erase NVRAM boot variables, This can cause some alternate bootloaders or operating systems to fail to boot. This may impact users of rEFInd and some Linux distributions. If your system reboots after updating and cannot find a bootable device, you can manually select a boot device by using the one time boot menu by pressing F3 during boot, and manually selecting your EFI boot file. After this you may need to reinstall grub. See Lost GRUB dual boot after updating to BIOS 3.07 - #6 by XADE
This should not be an issue for Fedora/Ubuntu unless they are installed along side a windows partition.

Downgrading firmware

You can downgrade your firmware by running fwupdmgr downgrade and selecting the version you want to downgrade to. Please note that versions before 3.09 do not have the F3 one time boot file menu if you need to select an alternate bootloader after downgrading.

Security Fixes

This update fixes a number of important security issues. It is recommended to update to patch these vulnerabilities.

A big thanks to the team at https://www.binarly.io/ who found these issues and worked with us to verify they were fixed.

CVE Binarly
CVE-2021-41842
CVE-2021-42059 BRLY-2021-021
CVE-2021-42060 BRLY-2021-022
CVE-2021-42554 BRLY-2021-027
CVE-2021-33625 BRLY-2021-029
CVE-2021-43615 BRLY-2021-028
CVE-2021-43323 BRLY-2021-031
CVE-2021-45969 BRLY-2021-016
CVE-2021-45970 BRLY-2021-015
CVE-2021-45971 BRLY-2021-012
CVE-2021-33626 BRLY-2021-013
CVE-2021-33627 BRLY-2021-011
CVE-2021-41837 BRLY-2021-026
CVE-2021-41838 BRLY-2021-030
CVE-2021-41839 BRLY-2021-017
CVE-2021-41840 BRLY-2021-019
CVE-2021-41841 BRLY-2021-025
CVE-2020-27339 BRLY-2021-020
CVE-2021-33625
INTEL-TA-00527
INTEL-TA-00562

Fixes

1. Fix bios menu options for battery charge limit and CPU flex ratio setting cannot change value using F5/F6.
  2. Fix battery cycle count is not valid in battery info reported to OS.
  3. Fix audio output polarity is inverted from the headphone jack on Tempo audio codec mainboards.
  4. Fix issue where the system will sometimes abnormally shutdown unexpectedly.
  5. Fix side LED behavior so that the charging led behavior will stay white when the battery has finished charging.
  6. Reduce main battery drain in off state by turning off analog reference in charger IC.
  7. Fix keyboard function keycodes being incorrect or missing on keyup for some multi key combinations. Such as ctrl+Fn+home. See Function (Fn) Keys Sticking + Fix for Linux
  8. Disable support for 14V-16V charging. This will cause 15V fixed supply sources to charge at the next lowest voltage, typically 12V. We always recommend using at least 60W adapters with your Laptop. See USB-PD 15V mode issue - #48 by Peetz0r
  9. Improve recognition of HDMI/DP dongles or adapters when going S0->G3 (wait 20sec)->S0.
  10. Increase overcurrent protection debounce time to prevent some USB-A devices from triggering overcurrent faults when used with the type-A expansion card. Previous failure symptoms would include the USB-A expansion card losing power when a specific device was attached through the card, and would not regain power until the USB-A expansion card was removed and reinserted.
  11. Fix issue where PS2 emulation does not work if the user is touching or moving their finger on the touchpad during boot.

New Features

1. Added boot from file menu by pressing F3 on boot to access the boot from file menu.
  2. Added option to control the 8254 clock gate in bios advanced setting page to support memtest86++.

Known Issues

1. Thunderbolt devices may not be recognized on S4 resume in some cases. But will be detected by replugging the device.
  2. Touchpad PS2 fallback mode may not work if the user is in an OS that supports the SerialIO driver, and then restarts to an OS that does not support the SerialIO driver, such as trying to reboot into the Windows 11 Installation media. Workaround is to power off the laptop and perform a cold boot into the installer/os to enable PS2 mouse fallback mode if necessary.

Edits:

1. update LVFS to testing channel
32 Likes

Yay!!! Downloading now.

Thank you to Framework, Insyde and Binarly!! Especially surprised that Framework engaged Binarly to validate the CVE fixes. Love seeing this SoD arrangement separated from Insyde.

Love the list of fixes. Installation via Windows went well (Batch 2 i7-1185g7, from 3.07 to 3.09).

Seeing the battery cycle count already in battery report.

Regarding Fix number 4, can we get more detail on what the cause was?

Regarding the two known issues, can we expect them to be addressed in the next BIOS update?

5 Likes

Excited! Definitely going to wait for it to drop automatically on elementaryOS tho.

(Originally posted at Excited! Definitely going to wait for i… — Jacky Alciné)

Another question:
Back in Dec 2021 / BIOS 3.07…the Windows Driver Bundle was released together with the BIOS update.

For this 3.09 Beta release, will there be a ‘matching’ Driver Bundle coming? Or can we continue with the Dec 2021 Driver Bundle as-is?

Tried the F3 File Explorer boot option just now. Love it!

Man, this BIOS update is better than Prime Day!

1 Like

Anyone test this with Fedora / LUKS? I don’t want to get thrown into a particularly tricky situation when I need this for work, but otherwise I’m looking forward to the update. The blinky charge LED always felt like something was broken, so appreciate the solid white option. Most importantly, I’m interested to see what this does for battery life. Thanks framework team!

1 Like

Has anyone tested with custom Secure Boot keys? I’ll update either way when it hits lvfs-testing, but it’d be helpful to know if the update will kill custom db/pk etc.

The update did not clear my custom db, KEK or PK.

5 Likes

Downloaded and installed with no issues. Can confirm that the cycle count is now appearing in the Windows battery report.

2 Likes

We are decoupling the driver bundle from the bios updates. With that said we will release a new bundle soon with some maintenance release updates, and checks to prevent installing the wrong bundle on the wrong generation of CPU.

11 Likes

Same here, secureboot config / keys survived the update.

Yay! Off drain fix and many more goodies!

Curious what (if any) audible symptoms this issue caused.

1 Like

Nothing audible, but there was someone on twitter who reported it was causing their oscilloscope music to be mirrored.

6 Likes

Just upgraded to Bios 3.09; I am running as a single boot Ubuntu 22.04 LTS, no issues with the upgrade from a usb drive, first impression is battery drain on standby is showing a improvement, and no negative impacts across the system so far.

2 Likes

Upgrade went smoothly and EFI boot entries weren’t erased. I have separate and unencrypted boot and EFI partitions though, I don’t remember if that’s the default but I think so.

1 Like

Using Win 11

• Had to reset Battery Charge Limit
  • had to reset boot order to get GRUB2

I query the Battery count via Win 11 [powercfg /batteryreport]

It reads 47 in 4 months and I usually use it plugged in, will keep a track of this ?

Was waiting for LVFS update to update BIOS from 3.06 (yeah risky…) and happy to report I didn’t have any issues. On Ubuntu 22.04.

5 Likes

Just updated by dumping the EFI shell update files onto my EFI partition & adding a custom boot entry with efibootmgr. Typing this from the 3.09 bios now :smiley:

1 Like

Anybody else having trouble with the EFI shell update? The USB device is not a boot option, tired 2 drives 2GB and 4GB. I had not trouble with previous upgrade 3.06-3.07.

Fedora 36. Ran the fwupdmgr command. No errors displayed, but still on BiOS 3.07. Tried from bootable USB drive - got an error and it dropped to a shell. SecureBoot is disabled in BIOS. DisableCapsuleUpdateOnDisk=true is configured in uefi_capsule.conf.

What else can I try?

Once in the boot selection menu (F12 right after restart), I had to re-insert my flash drive and it showed up.

1 Like