BIOS guide

@ImaxinarDM @CraigO @David_Mischel You can see BIOS 3.07 + Windows 10 and (11 Alpha) driver bundle - #91 by Duane_Johnson .

1 Like

Oh yea, understood @junaruga. And thanks. I was piping up in case the company was gauging whether there was a problem in email comm.

2 Likes

sorry if I’ve missed this information somewhere else, but has anyone from FW commented on adding memory XMP support so we can use some tighter latency memory?

It is not forthcoming, it is an Intel restriction with Framework unable to support it

2 Likes

is there another post with some more details about the specifics of this? is it a restriction in this model of CPU specifically? or does supporting it require some compromises in some way that FW isn’t willing to do? other laptops certainly have this ability so it can’t be intel across the board or impossible.

Text is for filler, please reference the above quote

thanks for the link. i’ll continue discussion there.

1 Like

Does anybody else receive this error?

“failed to read EFI variable: Error opening file /sys/firmware/efi/efivars/OsIndications-8be4df61-93ca-11d2-aa0d-00e098032b8c: No such file or directory”

If you’re using base distributions, chances are they do not automatically mount the efivars.

Try running this

mount -t efivarfs efivarfs /sys/firmware/efi/efivars

and then running whatever you want to do with the efivars.

If the mount works and you want to make the mount permanant (auto-mount at every boot) add this to the /etc/fstab:

efivarfs /sys/firmware/efi/efivars efivarfs defaults,nosuid,nodev,noexec 0 0

If mount didn’t happened with former command probably the system is booted in MBR/Legacy mode, (create backup first and) try formatting the SSD to GPT/UEFI and install OS again. UEFI is pretty much standard now a days, most probably you might just not have efivars mounted.

Hi Animesh,

Thank you for the reply! It appears that it is already mounted. When I run the mount command…

mount: /sys/firmware/efi/efivars: efivarfs already mounted on /sys/firmware/efi/efivars

Any other suggestions?

Thanks again,

J

I’m not so sure then, but if kernel and bios are at latest, all the supported efivars should be right there.

Where else would you suggest I go to troubleshoot? I figured this thread would be the best place.

My exact error “failed to read EFI variable: Error opening file /sys/firmware/efi/efivars/OsIndications-8be4df61-93ca-11d2-aa0d-00e098032b8c: No such file or directory”

@warehows123 hey, I just got my framework yesterday, and I see the OsIndications file is not present in the efivars, but if I write to it creating a new one, the changes are actually reflected. That is, if i run https://github.com/Animeshz/scripts/blob/main/reboot-firmware, it does reboot into BIOS.

Hey Animesh, I tried running your script and it did successfully reboot into BIOS. I afterwards tried to update again using both fwupdmgr and using the software app, and no longer get the failed to read EFI variable error, however after what seems like a successful install and reboot, my firmware version still is sitting at 03.02, so it doesn’t seem to be applying it.

Well, after using it yesterday afternoon, I closed the lid for a few hours, and now it appears to be bricked. Exact same issue as this guy posted in another thread…October 12, 2021 - YouTube

I may be using it incorrectly since I’m not confident it’s completely irreversible damage yet, but at this point I’m unable to do anything with it and temporarily it’s unusable. I can’t access bios and no keys work, it’s in a restart loop with fan coming on loud.

I get the exact same results after physically removing the NVMe drive from the laptop. Restart loops with the fan noise loud.

update: I’ve been opening and closing the laptop for a few minutes with some pressure and it now booted back up normal!!! Now that I’m in, I want to securely update bios. Any other things to check

3 posts were split to a new topic: Battery degradation

Any insight into CPU Flex Override setting?

I’ve got no real clue what the valid range is, nor specifically any idea what will increase battery savings.

Grateful for any insight; best I can tell is it should be between 35 and 48?

3.5 Ghz standard, 4.8Ghz max turbo?

Is that correct?

Mine is currently set to 30, and it still turbos to the same upper threshold.

I would like to make the processor run as low as the minimum speed for as long as possible before clocking up. Can this setting do that?

Windows 10 maximum battery mode does not do enough about keeping the CPU running slow on my batch 5.