BIOS guide

@Ben_R Your best bet is to give ThrottleStop a shot. I used it when I forgot my power adapter and was working at our out-of-state office with only a 30w charger. It helped me get through the day. You can get it here. I have honestly no idea how to use it, but this link should help. I just ham handly messed with it to result in it helping the CPU from going nuts. Good luck and enjoy the EXTRA HOURS!

1 Like

The release notes for 3.03 include the Known Issue ā€œSystem cannot recognize Thunderbolt 3 devices after resuming from S4.ā€

Is this still a known outstanding BIOS problem? Iā€™m seeing this problem on the current 3.07 BIOS. Whenever I wake my Framework from S4 I need to unplug and replug my TB3 dock.

True enough. I know itā€™s still a problem, but Iā€™m wondering if Framework knows it is still a problem (and if they are working on fixing it).

Is there a reason the BIOS Password is restricted to 10 characters?

10 byte seems a rather arbitrary value. Perhaps so because it can (the number of characters you typed) fit on the window that pops up to prompt you.
Perhaps a bit like this
enter password: [*********_]
Wow. this look oldschool. I like it.

3 Likes

Is there a way to determine the BIOS version (like 3.07) within the BIOS?

1 Like

Youā€™ll find it on the front page.

I stole this screenshot from @jeshikatā€™s first post:

If you strip off the GFW30 part, youā€™ll get the version number Framework uses.

2 Likes

I could also check the BIOS version on a terminal on my Fedora 35 with dmidecode.

$ sudo dnf install dmidecode
$ sudo dmidecode -s bios-version
3 Likes

Just to add another answer in this series, you can find the version in windows by getting the ā€œrunā€ dialog with windows + R, then type in ā€œmsinfo32ā€ and hit enter. This will bring up system information, which has BIOS version a little ways down. (see attached screenshot)

(edit: forgot to paste said screenshot, oops)

6 Likes

Thank you very much for the 3 version! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

To add a fourth (and redundant) solution, you can run sudo cpu-x -N and look at the Motherboard tab :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I have two M2 SSD drives that I use with my Framework laptop, one with Manjaro and one with Windows. My Framework laptop is currently on BIOS 3.02 is it safe to upgrade the BIOS from within the Windows install and then plug my Manjaro SSD back in and boot as normal?

iā€™ve even done it from the efi partition of my (only) linux ssd. youā€™ll be fine.

1 Like

Can somebody help me out here? I ran fwupdmgr upgrade and I am now on BIOS 03.10 (output confirmed from dmidecode -s bios-version). Running Fedora 36. It went smoothly however now my USB C ports do not work, (even to charge battery). I donā€™t see any documentation anywhere regarding 03.10, does anybody have any information on this version?

@warehows123 That is very strange indeed. Consider reporting this on the BIOS 3.10 announcement thread, and definitely reach out to support.

I just double checked, and I can charge and pass data through all 4 ports, using BIOS 3.10 on arch linux. Can you verify your USB-C cable(s) are good?

Ah okay, good to know, maybe itā€™s a Fedora 36 thing. I am also running 11th Gen. Yes I have verified the USB-C cables are good. Scared to turn it on in the case I need to preserve the battery charge hah :frowning: - Trying to dig into troubleshooting the USB-C from the command line when I do turn it on.

Well, in case anybody runs into what I did, I powered it on a few hours later and the main USB-C port I use to charge flashed green then orange immediately and everything seems to be working fine now. This was post 3 restarts after the 03.10 BIO was installed, so not entirely sure but happy I donā€™t have to troubleshoot or downgrade.

14 posts were split to a new topic: G-sensor removal

Same issue here. Can anybody assist. This is the second time I am stuck in this loop exactly as before October 12, 2021 - YouTube - It happened when I was on the plane putting my laptop away quick and forgot to shut it down. 100 percent related to a sleep / hibernation issue. However now Iā€™m without a useable laptop :frowning:

I want to see that the following knowledge base page of 12th gen intelā€™s BIOS is added to the first comment. To clarify, what is the initial BIOS version on the 12th gen?

Edit: I was told that the initial version for the 12th gen is 3.04 on the thread above. I added it to the first comment on this thread.