BIOS guide

You could use a monitoring service that notifies you of changes on a page to get an alert when the BIOS page changes.
I use https://visualping.io/, but there are others out there, often free for small number of watches.

1 Like

I got a 13th gen intel chip a month or two ago, and didn’t touch the bios.

sudo dmidecode -s bios-version is 03.03

@GhostLegion

There is! Now I need to go find the script that enables that feature…

Edit: Found it

I had the keylightd script installed when I got my 12th Gen Intel, just upgraded to Ryzen 7040 series, and it’s now broken. Tried uninstalling and reinstalling, no dice.

Any advice?

Check out the recent 7 or 8 posts in the topic about the EC, which talks about differences on talking to the EC on the new AMD systems. I suspect it is related and a solution has been provided.

1 Like

Funny enough, you don’t actually need to do this! The firmware disables the media functions when there is no OS running. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hello!

I’ve been trying to update my bios as there are a few dmesg things which don’t make sense and there was an intermittent freeze thing, and the internet suggested it might be bios.

That is, [RESOLVED] Suspend behavior on AMD running Fedora 39 is the only thing which has the same dmesg output on these fora and that problem was fixed with a bios update.

(my dmesg looks like this:

[12336.252647] [drm:amdgpu_dm_process_dmub_aux_transfer_sync [amdgpu]] *ERROR* wait_for_completion_timeout timeout!
[12346.493098] [drm:amdgpu_dm_process_dmub_aux_transfer_sync [amdgpu]] *ERROR* wait_for_completion_timeout timeout!
[12356.732667] [drm:amdgpu_dm_process_dmub_aux_transfer_sync [amdgpu]] *ERROR* wait_for_completion_timeout timeout!
[12366.972860] [drm:amdgpu_dm_process_dmub_aux_transfer_sync [amdgpu]] *ERROR* wait_for_completion_timeout timeout!

going back a very long way )

So I tried to update the bios and then hit another problem:

hannnah@butternut:~$ sudo fwupdmgr refresh
[sudo] password for hannnah: 
Failed to connect to daemon: Error calling StartServiceByName for org.freedesktop.fwupd: Failed to activate service 'org.freedesktop.fwupd': timed out (service_start_timeout=25000ms)

so now i have two problems. anyone know how to solve either?

ta
h

My BIOS appears differently for the most recent Framework Ryzen 5. My Insyde version of the BIOS has a GUI. And most critically, below I/O Interface there is no menu for Secure Boot. I cannot install Linux or update my BIOs without this.
Is there a method to populate this setting from a combination of other options? (I’ve tried setting up a Supervisor pwd)

If you press F2 during boot (the key typically used to enter Setup), it will drop you on a page with a number of options. You can get to Secure Boot configuration from there.

2 Likes

Thanks for the quick reply. I assumed that entering the settings from Boot select (F12) would get me to BIOS. They are separate guis. That’s it!

1 Like

Yeah that bit is quite unexpected, I was digging for hidden menus in the bios for a while before I figured that out.

In this thread’s first comment, I updated Framework Intel 12th gen, the current beta version as 3.08.

I found that the power consumption is high while in BIOS. My Framework Laptop 13 has a power consumption about 3~5W when idling on desktop running Linux or Windows, however in BIOS, a whopping 18W

2 Likes

That’s normal, the system is in a very basic mode in BIOS/UEFI and there are for example no specific power saving features active.

5 Likes

At least 11th Gen and 12th Gen Intel have a “Boot performance mode” (or similar) under Advanced in BIOS/UEFI. Choosing a more “battery-friendly” option at least quiets the “starting jet-engine” noise level of the fans. Maybe the graphic BIOS/UEFI of the 13th Gen Intel and AMD 7040 have a similar option hidden somewhere?

Not sure that is useful
a) It sets the Performance mode for the computer, once the BIOS has passed
b) Using it made no difference to the fan coming on when I use BIOS
c) Usually I have no fan noise but if I go to the BIOS then I get the fan and it persists after Windows 11 starts for some 20 seconds, even with the Battery Mode in the option you mentioned.

I don’t think so. With the 12th Gen and “Max Battery” for “Boot performance mode”, I still get the jet engine as soon as I boot into Windows :wink: - and Linux still turbo-boosts if PPD is set to balanced or performance (or not installed at all).

It does on my 12th Gen (still, just checked with the 3.08 Beta BIOS):
“Turbo Performance” (factory default) → jet engine after 30 s, switching to “Max Battery”, saving and rebooting into BIOS/UEFI → silence (even after 10+ min), switching back to “Turbo Performance”, saving and rebooting into BIOS/UEFI → jet engine after ~ 20 s

Well, I only mentioned, that it’s quiet while in BIOS/UEFI? Maybe it’s different for the 11th Gens because they’re not as jet-engine noisy in the first place?

You may have misunderstood me. As that is what I said - I still get the fan when I boot into Windows

Maybe a bit longer, but that will depend upon ambient temp and what apps are running.

Yes I have the 1165 so not so demanding but ???

Dropping this discussion

I just thought (in regard to @Charlie_6’s problem) it might be worth to check if “Max Battery” for “Boot performance mode” (or something similar for 13th Gen Intel / AMD 7040 if available) might not only reduce the noise level but also the power consumption while in BIOS/UEFI :person_shrugging:

I’ll do the same.

1 Like