BIOS guide

Hi,

They may be self explanatory for some people, but I’m probably in good company of others not wanting to rely on Google about the real meanings and implications of the settings. I believe I gave the laptop version, the bios that came on it is 3.03.

The manual attached is from 21 years ago, and it maybe be all you need but doesn’t really apply to especially the more complex processor and security settings today. Something like that for today’s Bios is what is expected and it must be available somewhere, right?

Thanks!

1 Like

Ah yes Intel 13Gen. Apologies.

What parts of the menu are you unsure about, I’m sure you will get people to explain if you can be more specific but clearly no one will explain all and I imagine the assumption is that someone who doesn’t understnd the basics probably shouldn’t be changing them.

My efforts were simple

• Change power light brightness
  • Change BCL (Battery Charge Limit)
  • Change boot order so I could boot from a USB ( a 256 Expansion card)

Thanks. That’s about it for what I’ve changed so far too. Plus turning off Quick Startup.

Hopefully a user manual will appear somewhere, I’ve never seen a laptop without a BIOS manual, often built into the BIOS, but sometimes on a website. They can be quite detailed, but having nothing makes the laptop worth much less, especially to an enterprise (I’m not an enterprise, just commenting on the target for many BIOS manuals, for security options for example). Hopefully someone from Framework Laptop 13 is reading this!

2 Likes

Pretty sure it has been read but I’m pretty sure there won’t be considered necessary to make a manual for each BIOS as like I said it’s all pretty standard.

Is there anything specific that bothers you? Something you are looking for etc. or something you don’t understand.

I vote for a manual if it can be produced without ridiculous effort. I don’t know in advance what to expect from BIOS settings. I would like to browse them in case there is something I’m missing. The BIOS interface is not always obvious, and it’s a lot of trouble to switch between installed OS and BIOS to check things.

A way of making BIOS visible while the OS is running would be very helpful, but I expect that is too difficult.

1 Like

I getting curious as to what you could be missing. When you hover on an option to change a setting it brings up an explanation.

Sure it would be easier maybe for you to read a manual rather than go through the menu, but maybe that isn’t true really, except you can read it without the laptop on if you print it out.

Effort: The basic BIOS is much the same, the same as BIOSes have been for years if not decades.Then there are updates quite a few for the 11th Gen but not really anything that would warrant a worry about missing anything as the differences are explained.

Pretty sure I put a link to the basics but here it is, again maybe

There’s no big mystery on what the menu is so a manual made specifically for the Framework does seem unnecessary.

I can only suggest the curious read the General manual provided that Framework use from Insyde.

@Wave @Michael_O_Donnell

Searching finds this and there are others . . . .

Thanks. I did find this already too. It is just pictures of the screens, we can get that by going into BIOS settings. Looking for a user manual. Been looking around, seems like this BIOS got left behind 20 years ago - the last manual as you found is from 2003, and when looking around this week, it is true that many laptops have a very much more sophisticated BIOs now in 2024 which do so much more in terms of helping optimize performance in real time to get high performance + battery life. The Laptop 13 battery just lasts 5 hours, that is less than half of the better laptops at the same price. Maybe its all about the old tech BIOS?

I doubt the BIOS is related to the five hours. The 11th Gen I have has a small ML 1220 battery to keep the CMOS and RTC alive whilst switched off.

The ML1220 holds some 17mAh of power and can last up to 4 weeks, so that a lot less than 1mW a day. So the main battery could do and can do in the 13th Gen with 61Wh 61,000 days or 167+ years

1 Like

sorry if it’s a dumb question. but what exactly does the ‘boot performance mode’ do?
it only affects the performance during boot?

Welcome to the forum and yes pretty much as you expected

A friend nick-named it the “jet-engine emulator switch”…