Board Upgrade and results (i5-1135G7 -> i5-1240P)

That’s surprisingly relatable. I got mine delivered 2 days ago and sounds like a Category 2 hurricane (causing damage to my ears and my soul) when I’m doing anything moderately CPU-intensive. I don’t know how else to explain it except that it sounds like a storm. Has that been your experience?

2 Likes

Technically Raptor Lake is 13th Gen, but it’s more of an Intel response to Ryzen 7000 and an Alder Lake tweaked for desktop usage. AFAIK Raptor Lake has the DDR4/DDR5 controller, while Meteor Lake (I am not sure if it’s 13th gen Mobile, or 13.5 Gen Intel, or if Intel’s going to skip a gen and call it 14th Gen, skipping one like they did between Coffee Lake and Ice Lake on mobile machines) have leaked slides back in July that only mentions DDR5 support on the mobile SKUs. If going by Intel’s past behavior, they only support hybrid memory controllers up to 2 generations (Skylake + Kaby Lake for DDR3->DDR4, and Penryn Core 2+Cantiga chipset for DDR2->DDR3. Coffee Lake might support LPDDR3+DDR4 but LPDDR3 is soldered to the machine and not consumer upgradeable). I would bet that they push vendors to go DDR5 to demonstrate performance parity/gains over Ryzen 6/7000s.

1 Like

Yup. I got confused since you said Meteor Lake/13th gen haha mb.

Yeah, that’s one of the reasons to go 12th gen - it is actually quieter more often than the 11th - it’s almost like those 4 Gracemont Atom cores taught the machine to sip power versus using the “Cove” heavy cores and it became much nicer to work with. That being said, I just spun the machine up in CEMU for Zelda BOTW - the fan is on full tilt and it is a hurricane, so to speak.

Oh yeah, if you plan to go 12th gen for gaming and rely on the Xe graphics? Eeeeeh, probably not a good idea. I can’t quite nail down why but there’s a performance regression. Scenes in BOTW that ran between 25-30 fps on the 1135G7 is now 18-23 on the 1240P. Doesn’t seem like a heat issue, doesn’t seem like outdated drivers…but something is holding it back.

That GPU issue is strange. I suspect it might be due to some small optimization made to it to support ddr5.

Do you find battery life is noticeably different?

Or conversely, it could be higher latency due to DDR4 usage. It’s hard to nail down and I am hoping that a firmware update fixes this down the line.

1 Like

Eh, I’ll need to run this for a bit longer and it’ll have to depend on how it’s being used. The 11th Gen had a fairly mediocre battery life even on low duty office work, and I’ll have to see if the Gracemount cores on the 12th Gen will help it sip power. I kinda doubt it’ll be big gains.

1 Like

Okay - the new Xe graphics drivers (came out today) seemed to have improved the performance of the GPU to the point where it’s at rough parity with the 11th Gen - the latency is still sitting at 50ns versus the 40ns in the 11th Gen, but at least the GPU regression seemed to have been mitigated somewhat…BOTW on CEMU ran at least 5-7 fps better on average.

Here’s the updated results:
https://www.passmark.com/baselines/V10/display.php?id=164876720870

2 Likes

The driver marked (Latest) on the Intel website is this one: Intel® Graphics – Windows* DCH Drivers

It is date 27th September.

Could you please point me towards the driver which you are mentioning?

Likely this one here:
https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/download/726609/intel-arc-graphics-windows-dch-driver.html

HIGHLIGHTS:

• Launch driver for Intel® Arc™ A770 and A750 Graphics

Would be slightly unusual if so, but I am prepared to stand corrected!

Read the release note.

See what I already posted here:

1 Like

I see now. Thank you.

After spending more time with the new MOBO, have you found any difference in battery life on average?

I think the expectation is lower battery life not more, I was curious how much one loses with the upgrade.

1 Like

Are you selling your 11th gen board? I need to buy one.

Eh, in terms of the battery runtime? Mixed results. If it’s light office work, slight improvement. If it’s heavy usage? Takes a bit of a dive. Either ways, I am not sure if it’s the battery (it might be damaged by one incident early in the machine’s life where it went into standby, spun up the CPU and ran for 90 minutes heating up the machine while it’s in my bag…it’s either the chassis flex or some old firmware funkiness) or something else.

1 Like

@Christopher_Brown mine is available. I just put in an order for 12th gen.

Christopher_Poterala
@Christopher_Brown mine is available. I just put in an order for 12th gen.

argh, I just bought a new 11th gen off Framework when they released the 11th gen Germany keyboard here in the US. I originally purchased a 12th gen and figured I had to buy an 11th gen board to put in it then sell the 12th gen board. But never sorted a plan to do all that so returned the 12th gen just the other day. The prior couple weeks the refurb 1135 wasn’t availble. Thanks for offering.