Bringing the Framework Laptop to more of the world

I also suspect that. With all the IT companies that are based or have dev branches in Sofia lately. :slight_smile:

Also the missing country prevents me from advertising Framework to my friends. :frowning:

2 Likes

My impression as well. The amount of Bulgarian colleagues I have here in NL tells me there’s one hell of an IT education system churning out quality graduates over there, so… That market definitely seems bigger than bankers and farmers in Liechtenstein. :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

I was super excited when I saw that they were shipping to the UK in December with the British Layout Keyboard too, just need to convince my Dad that its a sensible purchase!

2 Likes

Tell them I said it was

8 Likes

Oh no, even Ireland is a higher priority than Poland! :laughing: :sob:
It is hopeful to see new countries join the party every few months though.

2 Likes

Looks like Framework support can’t quite grasp what I’m talking about. :frowning:

Common, people - I’m a frontend dev - adding a country to that dropdown is not rocket science. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

As the locale page has some challenges used as a survey, I sent a complete list of the countries: https://gist.github.com/junaruga/51ba152569d9ad3f0749ceddd7fc9e63 to Framework in the past.

Framework as a US based company can not deal with some countries legally. So, I understand some countries (Bulgalia is ok) are removed in the list as a locale page of the website. But the locale page designed as locale of the web site, has some issues as a survey.

1 Like

Bulgaria is in EU. On the other hand - even if Framework can’t deal with it legally - no one is talking about dealing, just for a complete list on the site. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yes, in my memory, US based company can not deal with North Korea, Iran or Iraq and some few countries legally. Bulgaria is ok to deal with. The issue is that Framework tried to utilize the locale page as a survey. I can understand it was the way to achieve the survey functionality quickly. Seeing also how they operate this Discourse forum, Framework clearly needs Senior Frontend or Full Stack Engineers, and they know it.

1 Like

They’re on the lookout for some, yes. :slight_smile:

Nice progress there!

+1 for adding Bulgaria as a country in the “locales” page.

4 Likes

Is there a reason why it’s not possible to order the laptop with the French Canadian keyboard? It’s available in the marketplace and I see other countries can choose the keyboard langage while ordering. The only way to get it at the moment is to buy a second keyboard.

1 Like

New day, and a new Framework update with a plea to show our interest in the region selection page and my country can’t do that, because it is STILL NOT LISTED. Also Framework support couldn’t understand what I had in mind, when I contacted them to say that my country is NOT LISTED. :smiley:

Anyway, said what I wanted, probably no one will notice, now back to browsing the new EU marketplace. :slight_smile:

Why the support couldn’t understand? I think it might be helpful for hte support if you send a screen shot of the drop down list to tell them visually or send this thread’s URL.

Interestingly, even small countries Bermuda and Montenegro (Црна Гора) are listed. Romania is listed. So, I don’t understand why your country Bulgaria is not listed there.

framework-locale-edit-barmuda

framework-locale-edit-montenegro

As you may know, as a reference, in the case of other laptop company, Star Labs (Linux and coreboot friendly, UK based company), the website - location page has Bulgaria.

2 Likes

You can check my post up there for details. But you’re right about the screenshot - I didn’t think of that, maybe because the support request is first triggered from a page and text only. But I can probably add some to the replies.

I hope this is enough. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Umm… :man_shrugging: No idea what that means. How do they get interest votes if the country is not present?

Ah, Framework confirmed that they know about the problem in the other thread. :heart:

2 Likes

I assume someone in the support team replied, just using a template text to be used for a request to ask a “shipment” for a country such as “Spain, please” or “Spain when to ship?”, That is not your case.

1 Like

Adding to the “Framework doesn’t know how countries work” issue: I’m in Singapore, not even far from Taiwan. Go and check what happens if you want to express interest for that country on the locales page:

Now there’s two issues with this:

1. I question the design decision to localize the list of countries, on an English website. If I read English, if the site is a survey in English, I probably want to select a country … in English (and FWIW: English isn’t my native language)

2. The real issue is that, no, Singapore most CERTAINLY isn’t Chinese or in China or whatever. The name of the country is Singapore (or Singapura if you must), the official language is Malay (not Chinese) and … everyone uses English anyway. Listing Singapore in Chinese is about as silly as listing the USA in Thai (and FWIW: I’m not a Singaporean either, so this isn’t a patriotic thing or whatever).

I’m confused why it’s so hard to have a dropdown list of (English) country names? That’s not a difficult dataset, nor hard to obtain.

3 Likes

I lived in Singapore for 3 years in the past. Yeah, Singapore’s public language is not Chinese, but English (+ some languages).

Singapore - Wikipedia

English is the lingua franca and numerous public services are available only in English.

The information source Framework used to create the dropdown list has problems with some missing countries.

My guess is that people at Framework lived and live only in the US. They don’t know about the countries around the world, and their decisions are biased. I hope Framework will hire people who lived outside of the US or traveled many countries around the world.

3 Likes