Bringing the Framework Laptop to more of the world

Today, we’re expanding availability of the Framework Laptop to a little more of the world. Pre-ordering is now open in Ireland, Austria, and the Netherlands. Last week we also started shipping laptops to pre-orderers in the UK, Germany, and France. Reviewers in each of the three have posted excellent deep dives and reviews recently: Golem.de, Frandroid, Les Numerique, Computer Bild, and AlexiBexi are a few worth checking out. We made a couple of additional improvements as we continue to scale our global footprint. You can now separately select your region and language on the Framework website, and we’ll be adding more language options over time.

Just like our previous launches, pre-orders in Ireland, Austria, and the Netherlands require only a fully refundable €100 deposit. The balance will be collected just before we start shipping in these countries in March. The product configurations and pricing remain the same, with i5-1135G7, i7-1165G7, and i7-1185G7 CPUs, up to 4TB of storage and 64GB of memory, Windows or the option of no OS, and the full set of Expansion Cards. Local language keyboards (including English International in ANSI for the Netherlands) and compatible power adapters are also available for every new country we enter. To make ordering easier in the Netherlands, we also enabled support for iDeal and SEPA payment methods in addition to credit and debit cards, and we’ll be bringing this to the rest of Europe soon. If you’re outside of the regions we currently support, you can help us prioritize our international rollout by registering your interest on our locales page.

We’re bringing the Framework Marketplace to the UK and Europe soon. Laptop orders ship directly from Taiwan, a short truck ride away from our factory, and we’re setting up a service and fulfillment center in Germany to enable quicker shipping on future Marketplace orders. Meanwhile in the US and Canada, you can now combine a Framework Laptop and Marketplace items like Orange and Grey Bezels and new keyboards within a single order to get free shipping, with all of it shipping fully carbon-offset within a few days from inventory in New Jersey.

One final announcement: a couple of weeks ago we launched our community Discord server. We plan to start hosting events with all of you using this platform and release some fun new community initiatives over time. We hope you’re excited about these Marketplace and social announcements, but we haven’t forgotten we’re also a company building upgradeable, customizable, repairable hardware products. We have a ton of interesting product work currently in development that we’re looking forward to sharing.

27 Likes

yaay, few more countries among many in European Union, I guess I just unsubscribe to news, and come back next year to see if there is some update :laughing:

4 Likes

That’s great! It’s amazing to see the company expand!

7 Likes

Baby steps and awesome! Really happy to see the expansion continue! I know that navigating the logistics of such an undertaking is no joke, and is very difficult. Also grateful to the many future customers being so patient. I really do believe it is worth the wait. :+1:

6 Likes

Great! As we’ve seen before, this is a lot of work!

2 Likes

Even supporting iDeal. Nice! I was expecting to have to temp-bump my CC for this purchase.

2 Likes

Wrote to support, but to reiterate here - my country Bulgaria is not on the locales list, even though it is in EU. You can add it with English language, just how Romania is currently.

5 Likes

They really need to fix this. They’re effectively not even checking for interest in Bulgaria because I guess someone derped at setting up the locale list for a selection box on the front-end? :confused:

5 Likes

That’s why I reported. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Though in a point of hilarity: they have LIECHTENSTEIN (population: 38000) and San Marino (34000), but not Bulgaria (7 million). err… Wut? :smiley:

5 Likes

Well, even Norway is “just” 5 million. :man_shrugging: :smiley:

2 Likes

Well, Norway is at least 5 million oil millionaires, so kinda okey. Like, us Swedes (though I live in NL now) are poor sods compared to them, so they’ll buy electronics at a whim. But… Somehow I suspect Sofia alone will have more people potentially interested in buying a repairable laptop than Liechtenstein and San Marino has inhabitants… :stuck_out_tongue:

6 Likes

I also suspect that. With all the IT companies that are based or have dev branches in Sofia lately. :slight_smile:

Also the missing country prevents me from advertising Framework to my friends. :frowning:

2 Likes

My impression as well. The amount of Bulgarian colleagues I have here in NL tells me there’s one hell of an IT education system churning out quality graduates over there, so… That market definitely seems bigger than bankers and farmers in Liechtenstein. :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

I was super excited when I saw that they were shipping to the UK in December with the British Layout Keyboard too, just need to convince my Dad that its a sensible purchase!

2 Likes

Tell them I said it was

8 Likes

Oh no, even Ireland is a higher priority than Poland! :laughing: :sob:
It is hopeful to see new countries join the party every few months though.

2 Likes

Looks like Framework support can’t quite grasp what I’m talking about. :frowning:

Common, people - I’m a frontend dev - adding a country to that dropdown is not rocket science. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

As the locale page has some challenges used as a survey, I sent a complete list of the countries: https://gist.github.com/junaruga/51ba152569d9ad3f0749ceddd7fc9e63 to Framework in the past.

Framework as a US based company can not deal with some countries legally. So, I understand some countries (Bulgalia is ok) are removed in the list as a locale page of the website. But the locale page designed as locale of the web site, has some issues as a survey.

1 Like

Bulgaria is in EU. On the other hand - even if Framework can’t deal with it legally - no one is talking about dealing, just for a complete list on the site. :slight_smile:

1 Like