BT Audio Lag (AMD)

I’m getting an audio lag/ out of sync audio when using bluetooth earbuds, any one else have this issue?

Earbuds being used are Status Audio between 3ANC
Laptop is the FW13 7040 series
Windows 11
Downloaded and installed the latest driver package
Bios version 03.03
Bluetooth is on version 1.1034.0.328

I have the same specs on my FW Laptop and the same Problem. Let me know if you found a solution:)

It’s seems like the issue has fixed itself? A few things I did though;

Unpaired the earbuds and disabled Bluetooth

Shut down the computer for a few minutes, then booted it back up

Checked for any available updates (don’t appear to be any)

Re-enabled and paired everything.

After that it seems to be fine, I tested it with some audio sync videos on YouTube. I’d guess just unpairing and re-pairing the devices did the trick. The Internet was also saying to make sure no audio enhancements are enabled.

okay thank you. I tried the this already but unfortunately it did not work for me.

That’s odd… Maybe try uninstalling and reinstalling the driver?

I have this problem, too. Did anyone ever figure this out? I’ve rebooted the computer and I’m running the latest firmware, etc. It happens with multiple pairs of earbuds.

I ended up replacing my wifi module which also handles the Bluetooth. They are pretty cheap to replace if you want to go that route

Which module is good? There is something confusing to me about compatibility with AMD.

I went with the AX210. It’s been working fine and was a super easy swap. I haven’t noticed any lag issues with bluetooth (I’ve used the soundcore frames, Razer Opus, and Status 3ANC) Also doubled as a fix for the weird internet stutter issues I was having. I love AMD but they are still behind in wireless tech me-thinks. The AX210 also maintains BT 5.2, so you don’t really downgrade anything.

I find the biggest factor in bt audio lag to be the ear buds. I have some Jabra Elites that have noticable lag. My gen 2 Airpods have no discernable lag on the AMD Framework (although I know it is measurable).

I think the issue might be related to codec compatibility. The Framework laptop’s internal audio chip has limited support for certain codecs, and the AMD RZ616 module may not support as many advanced codecs as the Intel options. Essentially, the Bluetooth module is limited by the supported codecs of both the earbuds and the computer. If neither the computer nor the earbuds support newer, high-quality codecs, the audio transmission may fall back to older, less efficient codecs, which can result in noticeable audio lag.

In conclusion, the most effective way to fix the issue would be to upgrade to a more supported Wi-Fi/Bluetooth module, such as the Intel AX210. This module supports a wider range of modern codecs, which should help reduce or eliminate the audio lag you’re experiencing.

1 Like

I just swapped out the MediaTek card for the AX210 I had in there with the old Intel motherboard, as you suggest, and the problem is gone. I wonder why Framework seemed to require replacing the AX210 by the MediaTek card when I installed the AMD motherboard.

The mediatek is what amd bundles with the cpu.

Framework also shipped ax201/211 in some of their laptops which would very much not work in the amd board so replacing the wifi card with the one amd specifies as working does seem like the safest blanket guidance.

Personally I stick ax210x in everything, mostly cause I can’t stick be200s in everything XD.

Update: I don’t think the card swap really worked. Something is still off. This seems to be a long-standing issue in Windows. It feels like the only way to resolve this is to get a low-latency dongle (e.g., something that supports aptX adaptive).

Are you using windows 11? From what I’ve been able to dig up windows 11 has some serious issues with codec comparability. It’s only compatible with AAC and SBC - and even then it doesn’t give you any option to change the settings. It sounds like windows 10 isn’t much better, but at least gives you the option to select the codec you want to use.

Also, it seems win 11 is notorious for BT audio lag. And Microsoft being the hit or miss they are, seems to not care about it at all. I think win 10 had similar issues but I thought it got fixed? I have been using 11 because of certain things with my CPU and games and some other personal reasons. But audio has been an absolute nightmare. Take my GO XLR for example, works fine on win 10 still. But I Win 11? It cuts out every few seconds. Like a YouTube video that has has to buffer every couple seconds. The 3rd party software mostly solved this issue, but it still come up every now and then.

As far as I can tell (based on my own digging around on the Internet, so take it for what it’s worth) the ax210 is the most compatible card right now. But no matter what you choose, you’ll still be limited by the two codecs windows supports. (I think win 10 supports 4 if I remember right, don’t know which ones though)

Yes, I am using Windows 11. It is astounding that MS hasn’t just fixed this. I ended up trying a Sennheiser dongle that supports aptX adaptive, which has worked well. But that should not be necessary (even if audio quality is also theoretically better).