Buying the input cover frame separately

For a quick fix @name_of_user, I think it turned out good for using CA glue.

Like what @MJ1 said, epoxy would be the better long term fix. If the CA cracks, it will be fairly easy to pick the rest of it away thanks to its brittle nature. If you are worried about the brass insert getting adhesive in it:

Take a screw that fits those threads and put vaseline (petroleum jelly) on the screw and the threads, then screw it in a little ways into the insert. You can then apply epoxy liberally without fear of it getting into the hole.

If you got a little too much on top of the insert you can just sand the excess down flush. My old Model Plane mentor showed me this when we would nearly flush mount hinges to control surfaces on wings and tail. The epoxy would bond everywhere but the movable part of the hinge we put petroleum jelly.

Great job on the fix and the detailed pictures. :trophy:

Thanks @pkunk.

I agree. CA is not the best for this and was very tempted to use epoxy putty. And your vaseline suggestion is great.

My guess is that the insert on the left of the hinge has an expiry date and when that goes, this newly fixed one will likely give too. At that point, hope I get get a new standalone cover from FW minus keyboard and everything else.

Just noticed that I might have bulked up the hole a bit too much as there is now a just discernible gap between the input cover and the bottom compared with the undamaged side.

1 Like