Buying the input cover frame separately

The plastic on the input cover around the threaded insert by the power button on my FW 13 disintegrated today. The threaded insert totally came out. This is the insert that the screw coming through the bottom cover screws into. So this means one of the five screws on the bottom cover is just hanging loose with nothing to thread into.

Is it possible to just get the input cover frame without a keyboard or trackpad? My keyboard and trackpad are just fine and don’t need to be replaced. I searched through the marketplace but I couldn’t find it there.

Thanks!

Scott =)

1 Like

You can buy almost any other bit of the laptop except that.
I would ask support for one. Hopefully it is just an oversight on their web site.

I would supper glue then resin the insert to the input cover

I thought about this, the problem is getting that insert in the exact right position so that the screw from the bottom threads into it. I will probably try this eventually, but I need to figure out how to do it.

Thanks!

Screw the screw to the insert.

Either

• paint the end so when it touches the input panel you can see the location
  • add a whack of resin glue to the insert, be sure to fill the bottom so it doesn’t touch the screw, assemble and hold together with a weak clamp etc.

Check it out in the morning.

Good luck and have fun

• Or put a large low area of Plasticine on the input panel and screw into that. I’m thinking the screw won’t hold but the Plasticine will keep the location.

• I’m now thinking it may all be symmetrical and you can just calculate the position.

1 Like

Mine has been broken for years and… I’ve just never bothered to fix it. I’d love to hear of a solution, but you can probably get away with doing nothing (I can “tighten” the screw without actually screwing it into anything, so it doesn’t rattle).

1 Like

@Scott_Price
What did FW support say when you asked them?

I have not asked them yet. I wanted to try here before I asked them.

Thanks!

It might not be worthwhile to stock it as a separate part. Similar to automotive parts; some things only come in an assembly because it doesn’t make sense to stock each item individually cost wise for the manufacturer.

Alternatively you could get a whole input cover kit and just have an extra keyboard, fingerprint reader, and trackpad as a hot spare! It would not surprise me if the input cover alone is $100+ from other laptop manufacturers.

Yeah, that is what I am probably going to do. I thought I would at least ask the question, though.

Thanks!

1 Like

I have the same problem with the screw under the power button. And the brass insert has gone missing too somehow leaving am empty and very broken hole where the insert once was.

What are the specs for a replacement M2 insert please, such as OD and thickness (presumably all the bottom cover captive screws are M2?)

Thanks.

Hi and welcome to the forum.

You could try and measure an alternative insert, but the screw sizes are rather common to the laptop so that shouldn’t be difficult.

A problem noted in another thread is lining up the insert well enough, but there If you ave the screw go to an electronic shop or otherwise and get an insert fit the screw.

Se if you can assemble with the screw and the new insert so that it appears that the insert is at least compatible with the hole you can consider glue.

I.e. remove the input panel add supper glue to the bottom of the insert and fit again, then just hold the area under pressure for 30 secs etc.

As in my ideas in my previous post.

I’ve no idea on what size the insert is.

Thanks.

I did just try to measure and got a thickness that rounds up to 2mm. I am getting M2x2x3.5 inserts.

Also noticed that the insert housing on the left of the hinge is aleady having fractures.

Think there is a need for me to add reinforcement to these insert holes as part of the repairs

Consider that this maybe a 1 in 1000 or less often so not something Framework would likely consider.

Even if under warrantee proving it is not down to your doing would be difficult and although the laptop is user repair friendly that doesn’t equate to regularly swapping parts etc.

Well I hope you manage to fix it and update us here.

And of course if under warrantee you surely can contact official support or otherwise let them know of your opinion.

This public forum isn’t the ideal place to inform them of your disappointment.

All the best

Sorry i should have been clearer by adding that there is likely a need “for me” to add reinforcement to the holes before affixing the insert and to prevent the other one from deteriorating.

2 Likes