Can you boot off of a MicroSD card?

Kali Linux live or solid. Did anyone try to boot it from micro sd? I did, no success yet, tried Etcher, dd, Rufus. The only system visible for booting by pressing F12 if Fedora. Please advise for Kali.

Upd. Solved by formatting the micro sd into FAT32 and also set FAT32 in Rufus.

I see that no-one here has so far mentioned Ventoy, which for me has become THE way to boot from a USB stick. With Ventoy you should be able to add a whole bunch of isos to the same USB stick and, on elective boot (F12 on the Framework) be offered a choice of any one of them.

The big Ventoy bonus is that you can use the same single USB stick to explore any number of different (eg) Linux distros and when you find some that you like you can—without having to install any on your main drive—render any or all of these persistent by adding an appropriate persistence file and a spot of simple JSON.

I’ve been using this in my Landing on Linux series for Tested Technology.

Chris

2 Likes

I learnt about this just yesterday when trying to get Windows installed on a flash so I could test device drivers. The thing that blew me away was the ability to install Windows inside of a VM, then copy the disk image as a file to the Ventoy USB flash and have it just magically boot!

EDIT: To clarify, Ventoy isn’t a virtualization layer. Windows is booting off the bare metal hardware. I believe Ventoy makes use of the Native Boot feature of Windows 10+ to accomplish this.

3 Likes

@oxplot I didn’t realise that Ventoy could boot VMs like that. Useful, thanks.

I’m currently doing that same thing but upside down: Ubuntu 22.04 in a VirtualBox VM under Windows 10 Pro. I’m wondering if anyone knows a confirmed procedure for sizing Ubuntu correctly for the Framework’s 3:2 screen. I seem to have achieved this by messing about but am not sure I can reproduce the method.

Apologies if this is OT—should I be asking this elsewhere?

Chris

To clarify, it’s not booting Windows as a virtual machine. It’s essentially making the VM disk image look like a normal disk. Windows then boots on the metal without any virtualization involved (I believe, it uses the Native Boot feature of Windows).

2 Likes

Sorry, @oxplot, my sloppy choice of words. Yes, everything Ventoy boots hits the bare metal. It just doesn’t touch the main drive. I should have said that I didn’t realise Ventoy could boot a VM disk image like this.

Exciting possibilities because by default most of the isos you’re likely to use with Ventoy will do a sort of two stage boot, taking you through a Install/Live stage first. And Windows isos only offer you Install.

Chris

1 Like