Cannot install Windows on Batch 5 Laptop

My computer store has run into troubles installing MS Windows Pro on my new laptop (specs shown later on).

Any idea why we’re hitting this issue ?

Here is the conversation to date :

Store 0128 - Kanata Service kanataservice@canadacomputers.com

Fri 12/11/2021 11:12 AM

Definitely did.

I know they say you should be able to install Win10 using the standard MediaCreationTool and a 8gb+ USB stick, but it doesn’t work.

I suppose there is a possibility that there’s a defect in this unit, but I won’t be sure of that until I’m in Win10, and have run their driver package…

I’ll let you know how it goes.

-Jake

OTKS

Sent: November 12, 2021 10:55 AM
To: Store 0128 - Kanata Service
Subject: Re: Your opinion ?

Did you use the recommended procedure ?

https://guides.frame.work/Guide/Windows+10+Installation+on+the+Framework+Laptop+DIY+Edition/92

Image removed by sender.\ 240x180 Windows 10 Installation on the Framework Laptop DIY Edition - Framework Guides

Before installing Windows 10 Home or Pro on your Framework Laptop DIY Edition, make sure you’ve installed memory, storage, and WiFi. Here is a link to the Framework Laptop DIY Edition Quick Start Guide where we go over all the steps to get started.

guides.frame.work

Sent from Outlook

From: Store 0128 - Kanata Service kanataservice@canadacomputers.com
Sent: November 12, 2021 10:20 AM
To: Myles Dear smdear@hotmail.com
Subject: RE: Your opinion ?

Oh boy….

In order to get Windows installed, I have discovered – painfully I might add – that it can’t be done from within the Framework unit itself.

Last night, just before I left, Braiden had a great idea, we’re about to install Win10 on a tester system that has compatible chipset drivers, then pull the drive before the machine boots from the SSD for the first time.

The other thing to note is that I will need to install Home to begin with, then upgrade it to Pro using the agreed upon licence, as Bitlocker is forced enabled if Pro is installed, but will stop the drive from loading Win10 if it detects a different machine.

I’m a fan of the laptop as a whole, conceptually even, but Myles…

This one is a pain.

Hope to have it done today, I’ll give you a call once it’s ready.

-Jake

Kanata Services

P.S. – This goes as far as to break installation USB keys, from a software perspective, if we try to install the OS naturally. Just a heads up for the future.

Order number: R586694056

Framework Laptop DIY Edition Quantity: 1
Price: $1,899.00

Intel® Wi-Fi 6E AX210 vPro® Quantity: 1
Price: $33.00

MicroSD Expansion Card Quantity: 1
Price: $25.00

USB-A Expansion Card Quantity: 2
Price: $24.00

USB-C Expansion Card Quantity: 2
Price: $24.00

DisplayPort Expansion Card Quantity: 1

HDMI Expansion Card Quantity: 1

1 Like

Hi Myles, could you confirm where in the steps here you are seeing an issue occur? Windows 10 Installation on the Framework Laptop DIY Edition - Framework Guides

2 Likes

I am having the same issue. There is no option to boot from the USB expansion slot.

I just figured out if I use a USB-C to USB-A adaptor I can get the install to proceed. It now shows up as a boot option. I wonder if I had installed the USB-A expansion slot into the left hand side rear expansion slot if the BIOS would have seen it.

This just in from my computer shop :

The installation media will boot, ask me to confirm the licence code, but when it gets to the option to select which drive – it says it can’t find any, but only sometimes… I would love to give it the necessary driver, but like I said earlier, that’s only obtainable once we’re within Windows.

If I try to re-use the same installer, it will sometimes tell me that it’s missing files necessary for Windows10 installation, hence the “breaking installation USB keys”.

I have checked the SSD, it’s completely healthy, and if I can get the install to start, it does take the partitions, but errors out partway through, citing it has lost connectivity.

Should I continue?

-Jake

Kanata Services

I took the laptop back from the computer store and tried another tactic.
I withdrew the left/back extension module and plugged a USB-C to USB-A converter directly to the internal USB-C female connector. I plugged an external Pioneer DVD/BluRay drive to that port and I was able to successfully boot and install my Windows 10 Pro.

My only troubling issue is that as I’ve been loading my software on the new laptop, I have seen at least four blue-screen crashes in the last four hours. Will Frame.Work will have visibility to these crash reports ? I think there’s still some work to be done by the company to stabilize this laptop.

I just received my Batch 5 laptop. I’m having the same issue. Once I get to the option to select a drive, none pop up! I get “We couldn’t find any drives. To get a storage driver, click Load Driver.”

I’ve moved the memory from channel 0 to channel 1 with the same results. Moved it back to channel 0 and no luck. At the select drive page, I went into the command prompt (Shift + FN + F10) and went into “diskpart” and “list disk”. It doesn’t list my 500gb NVME and only shows my USB stick for booting windows.

The only idea I have now is to install the NVME in my desktop to see if its bad or not… any other thoughts?

Edit: Found this article from Intel - Unable to Detect the Drive When Installing a New Windows* OS

Didn’t recognize any compatible drivers so still stuck. We may need to be given the specific drivers from Framework? Right now they are stuck behind the .exe… Intel, HP, Dell all have specific articles for this problem and provide the drivers directly to load during Windows install.

Turns out my issue was simple. My SSD wasn’t fully seated. Make sure you’ve installed the hardware correctly… Duh.

2 Likes

I have been advised by Framework Support to return my laptop. They are organizing an RMA for the same.

For the record, the laptop is a DIY Mobo : Intel i7-1185G7
Storage : WS Black SN850 1TB PCIe SSD
Memory : G. SKILL Ripjaws Series 64GB DDR4 3200MGz CL22

Very odd, the laptop is solid and golden when connected to my Dell U2421HE USB-C hub monitor (which is DisplayPort connected to a Dell U2419H secondary monitor), but the moment I pull out the USB-C connector all h*** breaks loose and the laptop begins blue screening cyclically.

BlueScreen reasons include : KERNEL_SECURITY_CHECK_FAILURE , IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL, KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED , DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL , PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA ,
UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP , SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION

1 Like

Also, the support team reminded me that the QVL (Qualified Vendor List) for memory may be found at the following link:

1 Like

I’ve had no issues installing Windows 10 Pro on a Framework from batch 2 and another from batch 5 via a USB key. It was automatically picked up both times without issue.

1 Like