Charging is possible without type-c expansion card

Today i show the review on youtube if some one not buy expansion card.

Yep! You can do it, but we recommend using a USB-C Expansion Card to avoid putting strain on the internal USB-C receptacles, since it takes some awkward maneuvering to plug in directly with a card.

5 Likes

I know it may be a little too early to talk about a second version, but in the future, would it be possible to integrate a USB-C charge port in the laptop similarly to how the headphone jack currently is? All laptops need a charge port, so it would be nice if that port was built in, and the other 4 expansion ports could be used without having to worry about charging. Also, would a Framework subreddit or Discord server be considered? That way, people who are already on those platforms can join in on discussions!

12 Likes

There is a subreddit at r/framework, not sure whether thereā€™s a Discord server

Iā€™m not technically inclined, but to me it would make sense that the reason itā€™s not permanent is so you have total flexibility in where you have the charge port. Some people might prefer having it on one side or the other, or changing sides. That being said, the 3.5mm TRRS is permanent on one side, soooā€¦
~ Jamie

4 Likes

This is probably why they want to make an audio expansion card, having a permanent 3.5mm jack is not problematic since it doesnā€™t take much space but the components behind canā€™t be too good.

2 Likes

[quote=ā€œLawrence_Mitchell, post:3, topic:2853, full:trueā€]
I know it may be a little too early to talk about a second version, but in the future, would it be possible to integrate a USB-C charge port in the laptop similarly to how the headphone jack currently is? All laptops need a charge port, so it would be nice if that port was built in, and the other 4 expansion ports could be used without having to worry about charging. [/quote]

Realistically, how much stuff do you plan to plug into your laptop?

The nice thing about using modules is they act as strain relief, you can break the port on the module and itā€™s $12 to replace the USB-C module and you just slide it out and your good to go (if you order more than 4 modules, you wonā€™t even have to wait for parts)ā€¦

Also how would placement of a fixed power port be decided? Right now any of the 4 port positions can be usedā€¦ so itā€™s on whichever side one needs it to be.

6 Likes

@The_Cyber_System I believe youā€™re right, and in the comments of the Ars Technica review that came out today, there was a highly upvoted post that said that the ability to swap the charging port around would be very useful for them. Perhaps a compromise would be a future laptop model with a fixed USB-C charging port, and 4 (or more) USB C bays like we have now.

3 Likes

@The_Cyber_System I believe youā€™re right, and in the comments of the Ars Technica review that came out today, there was a highly upvoted post that said that the ability to swap the charging port around would be very useful for them. Perhaps a compromise would be a future laptop model with a fixed USB-C charging port, and 4 (or more) USB C bays like we have now.

Edited to remove link to a positive review of the Framework laptop not written by me.

Yeah although itā€™s slightly unfortunate to have to sacrifice one expansion slot for charging, I love the fact that I can have the charging port on either side now. That always annoyed me when I had to stretch the cord to make it go around to where the charging port was. And sometimes the plug point was just too far away to stretch the cord to the other side. It was a minor annoyance but I rember wishing I could change the charging port to the other side. Wish granted I suppose? So for me, it is a good compromise.

2 Likes

Ideally the laptop would have a USB C port on each side integrated in addition to the expansion card slots.
It seems pretty silly that an essential device function, power input, would be exclusively through expansion while a unnecessary part, the 3.5mm audio port, which some users would prefer not to have, is integrated into the frame.

2 Likes

@Daniel_Herr I understood it as being able to choose which way you want your power plug. That would be similar to what Linus said about preferring his USB-A on the left.

If I would suggest a change, it would be to let them increase the price of the laptop by 9 bucks (or whatever the price is of a USB-C card), and include one for free, plus 3 free blanks.

1 Like

A couple of years ago I let go of my desktop and I just use my laptop (9 years old, but still going v. strong). I specifically chose model to incorporate as many usb ports as possible for that, at that time, small notebook (x220), but I soon ran began to run out of ports. So I bought a (poor, but working) 3-port usb3 expasion card. Not great, so I located a dock which gave me another usb 3 port. I never use them all in one go, but I do find that having lots of free ports located ā€˜all over the placeā€™ is useful for those usb sticks and portable hdds. What Iā€™m driving at is that, while I do understand that the battle for where to place a fixed charging port is never gonna end, so having the port ā€˜swappableā€™, depending on where you plug the module, is the best compromise, BUT this means that it does leave the port option VERY restricted. Out of the three left, one goes to external monitor, two ports left, one goes to micro-sd card (in fact, those cards are so tiny that I would very much prefer a full-size SD port. After plugging all those module slots, Iā€™m left with just usb port, which is, basically, at least two usb ports short (whereā€™s my keyboard andā€¦ oh, whereā€™s my rj45?! :wink:
I mean, sure, the concept is not a desktop replacement, but I compare it with my 10 year old x220 and that, with just one expansion card, never mind the dock, gave me SIX usb ports in total, PLUS a built-in charging port, PLUS a DP port, PLUS an SD card reader. PLUS an RJ45 jack. Sure, it was about double weight, half screen resolution, etc., but thatā€™s 10 year old tech and still, expansion-wise, it just beats this concept. That said, I didnā€™t come hear to bitch, I love the concept of upgradability / repairabilit and Iā€™d very much love to ā€˜sellā€™ this idea to my kids. Itā€™s not about this laptop, but about the overall frame of mind that you donā€™t need the latest toy every two years.
ā€¦ uhmā€¦ perhaps a module with 2-usb-ports module design you can, eh? :wink:

3 Likes

@Naltar thatā€™s a lot of ports for a 13"ā€¦
2x USB-A will not fit in an expansion module. 2x USB-C connectors will fit on the face of a module, but at this stage the circuitry behind looks to be too cramped.

Personally I would want 3x USB-C, RJ-45, DP-out, and whatever the high-end audio module might be. More ports is going to be something for a larger laptop, I think. Maybe a future 15". But the great thing is you can have all those ports you want, right now - you just have to limit yourself to only 4 of them at once :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes