chromeOS forks / Android-x86 / Bliss OS

tried any of those on framework ?
what are your views ?

Android x86 doesn’t have a recent enough kernel and same with Bliss OS. You’d need to compile the kernel from source and add any other AOSP additions to get it to work.

1 Like

If your objective is to run a google product on your computer, surely you would be better off with Chrome OS Flex? That would still beg the question of why one would buy a brand new PC to run Chrome OS rather than just get a Chromebook.

FWIW I originally bought my Framework to be a Chromebook but because of an issue with how ChromeOS works I couldn’t use it (OEM devices allow for PIN login from startup but I have not been able to get this to work on any third party device via any way I am aware of to install ChromeOS including Flex).

My reasoning is simple - ChromeOS is an amazingly polished Linux desktop environment that allows for running terminal and GUI Linux apps. For my dev workflow it’s much better than something like Ubuntu or Fedora. It has that “just works” polish that every Linux distribution I’ve tried fails to deliver.

As to why I don’t buy Chromebooks - I did but they (for the most part) suck. OG Pixelbook was a beautiful device with a wonderful keyboard but eventually I had both USB ports fail and the device is not repairable so it’s dead in the water. Samsung Galaxy Chromebook had a stunning OLED display, red aesthetics, but garbage keyboard and got RMA’d 5 times to fix the failing touchpad and finally the WiFi card just flat out failed (probably due to wear and tear internally during the RMA). Pixelbook Go keyboard is pretty good and the 4K screen is nice but it has a Y Intel series CPU and a very slow eMMC disk so it sucks for my dev workflow. There really does not exist a high end Chromebook - the segment is almost entirely focused on “throwaway” sub $300 dollar devices.

As for an Android OS - that might just be their workflow and how they feel most comfortable or the apps they need might be on Android. I tried using Android apps on my Chromebooks when I first go them and found the experience to be terrible (not a problem of ChromeOS but rather that no one builds Android apps for the Laptop experience).

2 Likes

take a look at Download - FydeOS, its chinese FOS project
unlike chromeOS it has decent hardware support & like chromeOS it also support android apps

1 Like

I wasn’t aware this was possible.

Doesn’t ChromeOS phone home to Google all the time though? Doesn’t it also depend on a lot of Google services for that polish and shine?

Really curious, because like you, my experience is that the more money goes into development the better it generally is.

1 Like

u got it wrong

1. running android natively & through subsystems (chromeOS/anbox) r different
  2. i prefer having a single device thats supports mostly stuff, i’ve got multiple OS’s on my current device for different use cases

thats obvious for being a google product,
however, other forks r also available

1 Like

Thanks - I’ll try it, but so far every variant of ChromeOS I have tried has had this same limitation unfortunately.

If it does it’s unobtrusive. I’m sure there is some telemetry collected by the OS under the hood. Unlike Android where you’re pretty much dead in the water unless you use an official image with google play services. In ChromeOS I don’t use any Android apps and all of the software I use is either delivered through the Chrome browser (in the form of websites and web apps) or through the Linux container (which is debian / ubuntu or whatever you want).