Clarification needed on High power consumption

You can still use one of the middle ports. You only gonna have an issue of you want all 3 USB A devices on the same side.

No, I’m talking about the Framework 13 here, which only has 4 ports.
I know, wrong forum, but it’s basically the same problem (I am confused about the “higher power consumption” icons) so I commented here

You are posting in the FRAMEWORK 16 forum. :roll_eyes:

yes, I see, totally different hardware, not a similar AMD-platform at all, I’m sure the icon on the Framework 13 page has a completely different meaning.
I’ll post in the Framework 13 forum then o_O

On the Framework 13, you’ll probably not want to carry around a mouse and keyboard and stuff, so if you want to build a desktop setup, just get a docking station or a super cheap hub. Don’t need anything more than USB2.0 speed for mouse and keyboard.

2 Likes

Well, actually it is a problem if you need to use USB 2 for cameras or other higher speed devices like that which require most of the 480 Mbps of USB 2.0. Ports 2/3/5/6 all share one USB 2 root hub so the USB 2.0 bandwidth is split between all those ports. Ports 1 and 4 have separate root hubs so full bandwidth each. USB webcams are more often USB 2.0 right now so if you want more than one camera active (OBS composed multi-camera) you need separate root hubs to get the bandwidth you need.

Just ran into this over the weekend and I’m buying a USB 3 webcam to solve it, but temporarily I need that extra root hub, however only ports 1 and 4 have it so I will have to suffer the power consumption for now. The USB 3 variety webcams are 2x - 10x more expensive so just putting it out there. I was eventually going to move to USB3 cams anyhow so it is no great loss, but I was somewhat forced to because of this.

Slight correction: 2 also has its own root hub.

Ports 3, 5, 6, and the port on the back of the graphics module all share one root hub.

Another root hub is shared between the touchscreen connector, fingerprint reader, and two leftmost input module slots. And another root hub is shared between the other three input module slots.

2 Likes

That is strange because I tried port 2 and it was sharing with 3, 5 & 6 for me. Didn’t test the one on the back of the video module.

1 Like

I haven’t tested it myself, but Framework’s block diagram sure seems to indicate that ports 3 (labeled JUSB4 on the diagram), 5 (JUSB2), and 6 (JUSB3) are connected to a single root hub through a hub whereas port 2 (JUSB5) is on its own dedicated connection.

I supposed that the CPU could be internally sharing a root hub between the USB connections.

I suspect that is exactly the case. The CPU must internally have a hub for the two USB 3.2/2.0 ports coming from the CPU, and that would jive well with how Linux enumerates them. When I do an lsusb -t on Linux it gives a tree breakout for all the connected USB devices and it is quite a bit more complicated in this machine than this diagram portrays. Devices connected to ports 2,3,5, or 6 show up under bus 0 (same root hub).

I just checked again now to make sure I was giving an accurate report. Even the APU diagrams I have found on the internet seems to lead one to believe the ports are separate, but in practice they obviously aren’t.

BTW. Do you have a mapping of the marketing name/number of the port to the diagram JUSB# of the port for me so I can get a good grasp of this mapping?

1 Like

Having now done similar investigation on Windows I have reached the same conclusion.

I don’t know for sure, but I think it is the following.

Port 1 = JUSB6

Port 2 = JUSB5

Port 3 = JUSB4

Port 4 = JUSB1

Port 5 = JUSB2

Port 6 = JUSB3

Reasoning:

Ports 2 and 5 each have unique specifications. Port 2 is the only port with display but no USB4, which can only be JUSB5. Port 5 is the only port with power delivery but no display, which can only JUSB2.

The hub drives all 3 of the ports without display output (ports 3, 5, & 6 or JUSB2, JUSB3, & JUSB4), however only JUSB4 has a retimer/redriver. That indicates to me that JUSB4 is probably located physically further away from the hub, otherwise it wouldn’t need a retimer and redriver. Since port 3 is on the other side of the laptop compared to 5 & 6 that leads me to conclude that port 3 is probably JUSB4, leaving port 6 as JUSB3 (since port 5 is JUSB2 as established above).

Port 1 being JUSB6 and Port 4 being JUSB1 is a guess based on the pattern that the other four ports seem to make (the pattern looks like the JUSB# follow a pattern like the letter ‘U’ starting from the top right corner of the U and increasing).

2 Likes

Seems like a logical deduction to me. Thanks for the details.

1 Like