Cloud Computing with Framework

What if Framework can Implement Cloud Computing with their Modular laptops?
Then you just have to carry your laptop and no Memory Devices.
You can keep a Memory Device with you for security reasons
And with the help of Multiple Bootable Flash Drive, you can use Windows and Linux on the same laptop without dual booting
There will be many Technical things to overcome it but this can be a great use case for this type of laptop
And with help of Cloud you just have to Login into your Framework Account to use your data and this makes the Laptop Thinner
and this will make the Laptop

Isn’t that just a chromebook?

7 Likes

But Chromebook doesn’t have Modularity and it comes with ChromeOS to use Windows or Linux you have to install it by yourself
With Framework Laptop if you remove the storage modules and Implement Cloud then it will make the laptop thinner or we can put a small-capacity storage module for local storage

Honestly I don’t see how easy it would be to sell a purely thin client machine with zero onboard storage, especially at the $1,000+ price point. It’s also perfectly possible for you to set this machine up the way you’re describing it as is. All you need to do is just don’t boot off your SSD and boot off of whatever thing you want to plug into the expansion cards.

3 Likes

Yes you are not wrong
My idea was to just put enough memory storage for OS boot and some Local Files and
the remaining data will accessed via Cloud but for that we need all the software like photoshops, MS Office, implemented on cloud this will make the laptop more thinner and will the help of this organization to build their own custom Laptop with the help of Framework and data will be accessed via organization Cloud Servers

Right, so, a chromebook, or google docs.

Honestly I don’t think “thin at all costs” really aligns with Framework’s repairable-first approach to laptops. And removing storage would just alienate the vast majority of users looking for a regular laptop. Chromebooks skimp on storage not for thinness, but for cost. Maybe if Framework wanted to try its hand at a low-cost, thin-client (<500 USD) tablet or notebook, it could make sense.

Laptops don’t need to be thinner IMO!

4 Likes

@feesh You are Right but I was thinking from a perspective of a organization

I am from India and here people want the laptops to be thin and not carry too much in their bag with the framework they just have to keep minimum Storage to Boot OS and some Local Files and use the cloud for their daily work and India has the Cheapest Internet Data Prices can also get that Premium vibe at low cost
Then the Framework doesn’t have to focus more on the performance of the laptop

I think I understand what you’re suggesting, but if the goal is to make it thinner than it is, it would seem that the limiting factor is not the storage (an M.2 is pretty thin), but the cooling and the expansion cards.

On the former, you could probably get thinner with a less powerful machine, as you’re suggesting, though you might struggle to run a modern Windows or Linux on it. However, if you want to maintain the modularity (as well as the ease of repair/upgrade), I don’t see how the machine can get much thinner than it already is. The expansion cards are likely already as thin as they can reasonably get and still be usable.

Additionally, Framework (the company) is in the laptop business, not the cloud computing business. I’m an expert in neither, but I suspect that they are very different worlds, with little commonality, and that Framework is likely disinclined to venture into running virtual environments for clients.

2 Likes