Cool tech: a solid-state fan for laptops

The current fw removed 30w og heat…so it woule consume apparentely an insane 10 watt ish to cool the laptop!
At idle fw consume 5watts.
Best cooling solution…is to not produce the heat. Like arm chips with a good node fab in an apple macbook.

1 Like

@sunsoy the best info I have on hand is the Steam Deck which uses a 2W fan and APU rated to draw 15W.

I would take the extra peak power draw over noise any day; if I’m running anything full tilt I will be plugged in. Assuming they achieve what they claim, there are other benefits to this tech:

• significantly smaller form factor = more space for other stuff, like batteries
  • weather sealing and no moving parts, as dust is a common issue for laptop fans (and being able to use laptop in bed w/out fear of choking it)
  • bliss silence

It does seem to drop off kinda hard in terms of low power cooling based on the datasheet, but running it in bursts might mitigate that (and not be an issue since there won’t be distracting noise), or simply having the space for more passive cooling can help too.

2 Likes

Well from looking at the datasheet for the pro version you could remove about 6.5W of heat with around 1W input power. Scaling gets apparently worse at the higher loads which in turn means it does scale nicely to lower heat inputs (aka normal use) which fans do as well.
With fans it really is a bit of a guessing game since power ratings are probably (personal guesstimation) never reached in real life.

There is also a different problem apart from the power consumption: Size.

If they stay as big as they are and you need about 6 of them to cool a framework, they need a lot of space.

2 Likes

Anyone remember when LTT tested something similar? This Bizarre Fan Cost $1100?! - Piezoelectric Fan - YouTube

Piezoelectric is quite different no? Yeah I remember that video though, very cool xD.

Seems like a good tech for future. Wanna know what framework community think about this.

2 Likes

I just saw the video, and it looks pretty cool, but as others are mentioning, the math doesn’t add up. I’d like to see FW include this as an optional upgrade in the future though.

What would be awesome if frame.work could intergrate an AirJet® Mini from Frore Systems.
These were just demoed at CES as a solid state cooling solution.

1 Like

So this looks like it could be an interesting option as an upgrade. Especially since the Framework has a larger fan and cooling system already installed. Supposedly it doesn’t use much energy and is pretty quiet.

https://www.froresystems.com/

1 Like

Hey there!

Indeed it is interesting, it has already been suggested before though.

Feel free to partake in that discussion!

Please use the search function the next time.

5 Likes

PC World just published a video where Gordon was given a lab tour at Frore systems. They feature some demos and comparisons in it too. It is from data-driven evidence, but it is actually pretty exciting tech!

3 Likes

Hello, Framework Community members.

At the previous CES 2023, the world’s first solid state cooling chip, AirJet, developed by Fore Systems, was introduced.
According to their documentations, AirJet® Mini generates 1750 Pascals of back pressure, ensuring air flow into and out from product enclosures. integrated into a compute platform with processor die temperature of 85C, AirJet® Mini removes a net 4.25 Watts of heat at a silent 21 dBA noise level, while When integrated into a compute platform with processor die temperature of 85C, AirJet® Mini removes a net 4.25 Watts of heat at a silent 21 dBA noise level, while consuming 1 Watt of power.

I think this product is a perfect fit for Framework Laptop, whose thinness, upgradability, repairability, etc are its main selling points. The current model uses a heat sink, but AirJet requires a viper chamber, so it doesn’t look easy to install, but you might want to consider it.
What do you guys think?

Thanks. I look forward to seeing more of the Framework in the future!

https://www.froresystems.com/

2 Likes

Hello @mtaku3 and welcome on the forums!

Have you tried our search yet? It has been suggested several times before.

Hi @Anachron !
Thanks to notifying about that. I found the discussion. I did search for “solid state cooling”, but not for “AirJet”.

1 Like

Really? That surprises me, because even with that search term I can find the [discussion](Search results for 'solid\' - Framework Community state\ cooling).

That. It’s true. I may have misunderstood something.
Thanks again.

1 Like

It doesn’t have enough wattage, I don’t really see the value over just a better engineered fan

1 Like

Hey everyone, just putting this cooling system I saw a while ago in the map: https://www.froresystems.com/

It’s called AirJet, and moves air in your laptop in a completely different (and much more efficient) way.

I think they haven’t began production yet, or at least they don’t have a shop on the page. But it seems like a great partner to make the Framework laptop even better.

Any thoughts?

3 Likes

@RicardoPerez the wattage on those airjets is way too low to be usable, and they consume significantly more power than regular fans

1 Like