Daily BSOD issues

Fully wiped the drive. reloaded windows. Used the framework driver set dated 2021-12-16 that i had on a backup drive. bios still listed as 3.10.
Slowly adding back what I need. Browsers, ms office.
Got my first page fault in a non-paged area error while typing this!
I actually regret wiping the whole machine because I didn’t break down and buy a replacement drive first so now I have to live with it being unstable AND all my settings blown out. boo

Sorry for the late reply. The other option is the use drivers directly from Intel’s website as opposed to the ones provided by Framework. They may solve the fault issue. The page_fault_in_nonpaged_area is usually driver related. There have been issues with SSDs and the Intel Management Engine before that were solved with a driver update from Intel in the past.

1 Like

Ah sorry, forgot to mention that I had gotten the Intel drivers when I had these issues.

Not super fun update. I just finished installing a WD Black SN850X, one of the ones from the approved list, I believe. Totally fresh windows install. Used the December 16 2021 driver bundle to get it online.

Was just in the process of getting things set up and had my first page fault in a non-paged area. Still need to update windows to 22h2 and all other requisite patches and updates, and I’m grabbing the Intel support assistant to push updates once that’s done.

This bsod so early out of the gate has me spooked though. Maybe I should reinstall the bios for good measure. Or rollback the bios to 3.07 (down from 10) if it will let me?

If this round of updates and patches doesn’t do the trick then. I’m running out of things that I can personally attempt to fix. It’s possible that this is still somehow something I did or didn’t do but I’m running out of ways that could be true. At least on my older crashy Toshiba I knew it was because of deprecated hardware. :frowning:

It’s impacting my work for sure but at the moment I’m just worried that I won’t be able to run the big update to dwarf fortress when that releases in a few days.

EDIT: memory management error as I was installing updates.

Worth checking all items again to make sure they’re seated properly hardware wise, including the wireless card. May also be worthwhile to attempt a static discharge of the laptop. Is there a different driver that can be installed for your monitor?

Got an updated copy of memtest86 on a thumb drive. Errors on test 7 and 13 on round 1. Put my old ram (which was the hardware piece I’d tried replacing first!) back in and I’m testing that. Halfway through pass 2 with no problems.

Went thru the bios and turned Intel Turbo Boost Max Technology 3.0 back on, I can’t remember what conflict management attempt prompted me to try turning it off, but it definitely didn’t add stability.

If this set of tests passes the next step is to make sure every driver is current.

Is it just normal now for systems to be wildly unstable without driver massage? I had really good luck with previous computers being pretty solid until hardware EOL. This process has exceptionally touchy. Appreciate people hanging in there with me. Feels like it’s been uphill for months now.

Yes you need the drivers for a stable experience, always been that way, and older the windows install iso i.e. the more updates there are for it, more hellish and slow the experience will be. Still not clear what Windows version you are attempting to install, and also what processor. I am assuming 11th gen since you mention a 3.10 BIOS. By the way there is a new BIOS available for 11th gen…get it. Rolling back to an older BIOS is almost never recommended, and running an older BIOS is just asking to have issues that may have been resolved in a later version.

As to the why you have had so many issues… 1) looks like you had a dying SSD, 2) most SSD’s these days have some form of error connection built in, 3) this error correction may have been hiding other issues, 4) you clearly switched to RAM that has an issue.

Recommend getting to a good default state. 1) Latest BIOS, 2) Memtested good RAM, 3) New nvme drive, preferably a known good reliable brand. 4) Download the latest Windows 11 install media (Windows 10 is not supported so if you are trying to install it you will have nothing but problems). 5) Install the OS you chose using recent install media, and in the case of WIndows 11 install all the latest drivers Framework has provided. 6) Reboot. 7) Lastly install all remaining WIndows 11 updates. 8) See if you have any problems. At this point if you do, contact support and get a new motherboard.

Your entire thread just sounds like you had a bad component, replaced a good component with a bad component, replaced the original bad component with a new component, and just finally replaced the bad replacement componennt with the original good component which should not have been replaced. Hopefully it all works now.

1 Like

That’s not quite what I meant about drivers but I’m not going to belabor the issue, I phrased myself badly. Moving on.

Framework Laptop BIOS and Driver Releases (11th Gen Intel® Core™) 3.10 is the latest provided in the KB for 11th gen, last updated August 1 2022. The only other version I see is a beta for 3.17 here 11th Gen Intel Core BIOS 3.17 Beta - given everything, I will wait until 3.17 is official.

Knowing that SSDs can be opaque when it comes to issues is helpful.

The type of BSOD errors I’ve gotten during the process are typically blamed on either bad drivers or bad ram. After exhausting driver fixes I moved to replace the ram which obviously backfired. Also I can safely say that memtest64 was a waste of time. I wanted to use a tool that would allow me to drop the test and resume work immediately if I had to, clearly not worth the compromise in quality of testing.

I think the order you mentioned here is exactly it. At least a little frustrating given that Crucial has historically been reliable ram, ime. Entirely possible I’m responsible for the original drive being hosed, since it wasn’t seated right originally. That style of drive is entirely new to me, and since it’s not uncommon for there to be visible connector with ram modules, I didn’t think anything of there being visible connector on the drive, especially since the screw went into place without issue.

So barring any future crashes, it seems like this was just difficult to diagnose hardware failures. Sheesh. Thanks again for being an extra set of eyes, people. Considering this closed.

3 Likes

I know I have never had a bad stick of Crucial RAM, and I have bought a lot of it. Sometimes you just get a perfect storm.

1 Like

This time with a little bar across the top, glitchy colors, and it wouldn’t restart after hitting 100%, it sat there with the fan running.

This looks like a faulty RAM to me. I had the same experience with my linux install. If it doesn’t want to start again, pay attention to the led signals on the side of the laptop, there is a guide 11 gen 12th gen that tells you what they mean. You can determine who is at fault like that.