Dealing with High CPU Temperatures

@Jacob_Ma Looks better than mine, my 11th i5 is doing 53C at only 2% CPU and ram at 17.5%

Actually, on the first-day of use, my temperature is around 68 c, with similar settings and much less chrome tab, sometimes even 70c. The laptop freeze once.

After one day, it mysteriously becomes very cool.

Weird

I am using an external monitor. You can also try using something to lift the bottom of laptop up to have more fresh air as intake flow. It could be a bottle cap or something similar.

I found it to be helpful. Now, the temperature is around 45 c for most cores (except one core jump between 45 - 48).

1 Like

I wish there was a fan mod or bottom chassis mod to make it thicker or something. I do not mind thicker laptops if they cool better. I can’t even find a good cooler pad to pair with this. Most pads I have found pull air from under the laptop instead of push air up into the laptop.
I would love a chassis mod that made it thicker on the bottom panel and added some side vents or something.

2 Likes

@Ian_Comings Definitely something to look into

Thin and Light is nice and all but if the cooling sucks…it is a let down. We can’t even control the fans without doing some fancy crap. I could have sworn this laptop was supposed to be self-repairable but if the BIOS is locked down and we dont have access to fan monitoring and speed controls…it isnt.

1 Like

I think you might be overthinking things if you haven’t tried just using a stand to get more airflow. Tom from XMG ran a test between using a stand and not on their new Alder Lake thin and light and had a 10C max temperature difference and a +44% performance gain under a sustained load.

Last time I looked most cooler pads blow up (all the one on Amazon I checked like the Targus Chill Mat, the Cooler Master NotePal, the TopMate, Havit and one Liens all seemed to).

As for a chassis mod, it looks like it’s $100 for a Bottom Cover Kit if you want to buy one and have at it, although opening up the grill too much may actually reduce airflow efficiency.

The fan tables and fan control are in the Embedded Controller, not the BIOS, which is open sourced and on Linux, there’s an easy to use fan control tool and also a straightforward way to set your desired fan curves.

Not really a ‘curve’ in / by the EC…as Rene said “I don’t think a linear function is great for this, so fw-fanctrl does have an advantage here”.

Ideally, a first-party fan curve adjustment graphical interface would be great. …one can dream. (This would likely imply a microsoft-signed ec driver on the Windows side of things (?))

First off, the BIOS was not open sourced. Yes, it is available to be updated on the Linux Firmware update tool but that does not mean it was open sourced.
Secondly, the bottom cover kit DOES NOT make the case thicker. It does not turn a thin laptop into a thicker laptop.
I have an 11th gen i7 laptop. It does not run cool.
I have spent over $200 on cooling pads and most of them look like they blow up into the bottom only to find out that they suck air down. OR they fail really quickly. Im not buying off brand stuff either. Targus, etc. I reversed the fans on one of the pads and found that the fans are super weak.

Oh and that Review you posted wasnt even about the Framework. It was a totally different laptop with a different cooling profile and different setup. The underside for example has more ventilation.

the BIOS will be Open Sourced when you can install CoreBoot. CoreBoot IS and Open Source BIOS.