Display changing brightness issue

I’ve noticed that when my laptop gets a tiny bit of direct sunlight (specifically in my case in a moving car for the past few hours) , the screen adjusts/changes it’s brightness. This is great and all, except it makes the screen quite a bit blown out. The light/white objects on screen can be a bit hard to make out.

I disabled automatic brightness changing in windows 10, but that doesn’t seem to change the screen’s behavior? I’ve identified the brightness sensor as the small light grey hole next to the camera (as when I cover it the screen goes back to normal)

Any suggestions?

2 Likes

Annoyingly, Intel has a setting called “Local Adaptive Contrast Enhancement” that they enable by default in their driver. You can open the Intel Graphics Command Center, click in the display tab, and then turn it off:

22 Likes

That fixed it, Thank you!

1 Like

Does anyone know how to access the Intel graphics settings from Ubuntu? I had already replaced windows 10 with ubuntu when I noticed this issue.

1 Like

@Anna_Ordog does turning off “Automatic Brightness” in Settings > Power fix it?

6 Likes

@jeshikat Aha! Yes, it does! Thanks.

1 Like

Thank you so much @jeshikat! My screen was practically flickering every time the ambient light level changed slightly, and this fixed it!

You make my day @nrp thank you !

Really just wanted to come in here and say thanks @nrp this was tripping me up and I couldn’t figure it out. Some of Intel’s display decisions just confuse me, such as the contrast adjustment to save battery life, which makes bright sections slowly dim and stuff.

I also noticed when looking for a similar issue that the display changes the brightness that there is another option in the intel graphic control center for toggling adaptive brightness.

Can’t wait for the AMD mainboard.

Thank you so much for the fix!

Sorry, I’m resurrecting this thread in mid-2024, but has this setting changed location?

I have a Framework 13 Intel 13th Gen and this is happening to me.

But when I go to the Display → General section in the Intel Graphics Command Center, the settings list is looking pretty bare.

Looking at your image

Have you tried Display Settings [Open System Settings] ?

As in the image above yours?

Yeah, that just opens the Display Settings in Windows 11, but I don’t see anywhere to disable this adaptive contrast feature.

OK it’s the System Word as in the previous image not the one I mentioned.

Then select the Power option [Energie] as in that screenshot.

Then Adaptive Brightness

I don’t want to turn off Adaptive Brightness, I want to turn off Adaptive Contrast. One is adjusting the brightness of my screen, which is fine. The other is adjusting the colours of my screen which I don’t want.

Hi. There is only brightness, i.e. you can change to brightness of the screen LED.

This doesn’t change the colours of the screen

I am not referring to the following which I also have OFF

There was no suggestion that anything mentioned would change the colours of your screen so I’m not sure what you are thinking.

However if you have either of the first Adaptive Brightness or the Lighting Awareness Contrast Enhancement enabled then clearly the screen will change with the environment not by your manual adjustment only.

Regarding the following which I had not mentioned it is set as default to adjust all colours equally.

My original screenshot shows that Lighting Aware Contrast Enhancement isn’t in my list of options. That is the specific setting that I am wanting to disable, but it is not under Display → General as @nrp initially showed on the first reply to this thread. That was the whole point of my original comment on this thread.

I’m wanting to stop the contrast from changing when the light sensor detects a high amount of light.

I’m still not sure what you want.

if you don’t have the open to enable then presumably it won’t change, do you want it to change?

Maybe look at

https://www.elevenforum.com/t/calibrate-display-color-brightness-and-contrast-in-windows-11.22360/

By the way, are you using the latest update to Win 11

I’m using an 11thGen.

Will check the hardware setup.

Did you just install the drivers from the Framework page and not any Intel ones?

Maybe the app could be updated?