Display Color

https://tftcentral.co.uk/icc_profiles/hp_omen_x35_user.icm
This icm profile seems to help. The colors look much more balanced.

1 Like

After loading all these different icc profiles I think that boecq one is the least red so far.

I think I have some reading to do. Several years ago I got an x-rite i1 display pro and lumagen radiance 2144 to calibrate my tv and get the best possible analog input for laserdiscs, but never did the calibration yet (figured I’d get serious and do everything proper after we moved into a nice house, and never found a house I liked yet)

Anyway, from the little reading I just did, it looks like I have quite a bit more reading to do, and maybe I can use this thing or some other piece of hardware and do this right. I thought that there must be some way to just twiddle some values and make a “better if still not right” icc profile, but it sounds like it doesn’t work that way.

And the more I stare at 50 shades of white, it’s ruining my perception to where every white now looks red and green and then red again from one second to the next. Useless.

I didn’t just get this meter itself, it was some $1000 kit with some windows software that I never looked at or tried to use yet. I was actually expecting to just pay a home theater installer to come calibrate the panel, when I had a viewing room worth bothering. The settings in the radiance video processor are no joke. I was NOT trying to get into this crazy level with a laptop screen. It was just way too pink. I thought there would be the equivalent of an old one-dimensional tint control somewhere in a config file.

Are there any tools allow me to manually adjust the color in Linux like the display color management software on Windows? The screen looks OK when I use it alone. But putting it next to a MacBook, the screen looks way to pink.

Good news! I found a simple program called redshift solved the problem very well!!
If you use linux, try redshift and it allows you to manually set the color temperature. I set the temperature to 7200K and the screen now looks much better!

4 Likes

Here’s a icm profile for the BOE screen:
https://www.notebookcheck.net/uploads/tx_nbc2/BOE_CQ_______NE135FBM_N41.icm

Changing extension from icm to icc and copying it into /usr/share/color/icc/colord/ will make it show up in the relevant KDE Plasma settings (probably similar on other DEs using colord).

Does anyone have their updated ICM profile from this more recent review?

There is a link in the article. Just in case: https://www.notebookcheck.net/uploads/tx_nbc2/BOE_CQ_______NE135FBM_N41_01.icm

Not perfect but it does improve things considerably, at least in the 12th gen model, and more so than the profile from the first review.

3 Likes

On my 11th Gen it is an improvement but not as good as it could be but then again not bad at all, thanks for the link.

Some of the comments on that review article make me laugh. People are so full of themselves. “Framework is a non-starter until <dumb idea I don’t know is dumb, or trivial thing I happen to want>”

yeah, so non-starter… I’ll take 5 more of these non-starter garbage laptops please.

1 Like

Found a way that works better for me. With gnome desktop, you can use gsettings set org.gnome.settings-daemon.plugins.color night-light-temperature 9000 to adjust the color temperature easier. I found 9000K a good fit with this color profile
Here’s a comparison between 6500K(default) and the 9000K.

1 Like

Uwe in the post here: Display accuracy and calibration - #4 by Uwe

Had his own color calibrated ICM profile too.

Notebookcheck one works on mine but his would hang up my Settings app on PopOS, thought I share if anyone is interested.