Dongle Hider

Not sure if a quote mentions the person, so just a nudge @Moe_Wigs

I’m eagerly awaiting my framework 16, and I would love to have a dongle hider.
As 6 ports should be plenty for me, I think I’ll keep it simple and not use something more advanced like the USB-A-ugment.
In any case, I just had a couple of questions regarding the adjustable model you posted here:

• Is it required to take the plastic off the dongle, or only if it doesn’t fit properly otherwise?
  • Based on the context I would assume it’s meant to work with this (amazon.ca equivalent of a USB A-C adapter linked above), is that the case?
  • From what I can tell the cover is just a tension fit/ loose, and stays in because that side faces the bottom of the laptop. Is that correct?
  • In the STL file you provided there seem to be two different bays, but only one cover/set of adjusting bars. Is there any difference between the two?
    • The highlighted one isn’t shown in the preview image you showed above, so I assume it to be the extraneous one.

If you would be so kind that would be quite helpful.
Thanks!

@Graeme_Wiebe

Yes, it is required to take the case off the dongle, most just won’t fit otherwise. It is for a permanent or semi- permanent solution, and, why I made the “true dongle hider” which hides the dongle without having to remove the case.
Yes, that is the adapter, but not the one in your post, it needs to be for usb-c.
The adapter just sits in the bottom, it’s held tight by the side posts and the brace, the usb a to c adapter is off centre, which is why the case is a little deeper than standard, it won’t otherwise fit.
There are two of the same case, it appears. A mistake on my part. One was supposed to have a lid that clicked on to the body. This works well with nylon, I’m not sure about PLA. I’ve uploaded the new file any way, so you can choose.
Sorry, I misread one of your questions. No, the original lid has a couple of small indentations on top, these are to guide drill holes, the indentations line up perfectly with the two posts in the body and are for small screws to anchor the lid. You need to drill the holes yourself, I didn’t include holes because you can choose a screw size that best fit your needs.

dongle hider.stl (1.3 MB)

Oh, my bad! Completely missed that, I thought they were USB C. Looks like I’ll have to order them off aliexpress, amazon doesn’t seem to have them in my region.

I’ve ordered a 10pc set of USB C to USB 2.0 adapters from aliexpress. I most likely won’t end up using all of them, so if someone in the Canada region needs a pre-assembled dongle hider, I’d be willing to print and ship it (so long as you cover material costs/shipping)

4 Likes

If you’re willing to ship to your neighbor down south, I’d love one! I’m on the east coast though so if you’re in Vancouver it probably won’t be cost effective.

1 Like

My mouse has a USB-C dongle so I didn’t need to use an adapter. I also didn’t want to crack open the housing of the dongle so I designed a piece for the dongle to glue into. Unfortunately I didn’t get the size quite right and so had to file down the the part a bit to make it fit. If there is interest I will fix the file and post it here.

WIN_20230919_17_49_28_Pro

4 Likes

Which adapters did you use for those?

1 Like

@MJ1

Just some generic ones I had already, one may have been an Akasa. They all seem to be around the same length.

1 Like

Since I still feel like I’m missing something: my Logitech MX Ergo has two pairing slots, which can be paired to a unifying dongle OR bluetooth. Is this different for older mice? Because that’s the reason my unifying dongle is collecting dust ever since I found that out.

Many wireless mice only support the dongle and not Bluetooth. Only a few support both and they’re usually newer or more premium.

1 Like

And sometimes have quite different performance between bt and dongle.

Though on my t480s I did the internal unifying dongle mod mostly because of the instant connect (and to see if I can).

2 Likes

I also have an Ergo, in anticipation of getting an FW16, specifically because it has bluetooth. However while i wait I am using it with its dongle, and it has an annoying habit of sleeping and taking a couple of seconds of scrolling or ball rolling to get the pointer to move. I’m hoping I don’t get this when on bluetooth.

I have improved my 3D printed mouse dongle holder. This version uses duel matter printing to do the mouse icon but it could be made without. I have attached the files in case anyone else has the same cheap mouse as me and wants to make it.

The main part is the core of the expansion card while the mouse icon insert needs to be lined up with the cutout in your slicer if you want to do dual colour printing or just filling out the area in the main part.

Mouse Dongle Expansion Card - Main part.stl (110.1 KB)
Mouse Dongle Expansion Card - Mouse Icon Insert.stl (72.7 KB)

3 Likes

Great design! I’m trying to print using ASA but the corners keep lifting up. I’d like to add some corner adhesion anchors (Ref Slant 3D). Are you able to share the STEP file or other lossless format? Thanks.

1 Like

I know it’s been a while, but with framework 16s starting to ship I figured I would renew my offer - I just saw Framework | Expansion Card Shell Pack (20-pack) while looking on the marketplace, and I thought it might be possible to repurpose those for a dongle hider. It wouldn’t be perfect (there would still be a hole where the displayport was, though that could be good for signals getting though), but it might be nicer to have an aluminum cover instead.

In any case, if other people want one I have some USB C to A adapters ready, and should you be willing to pitch in for part of it, I can order a 20 pack of those shells, outfit them as necessary for a dongle hider, and ship them off to whatever location it is. If that sounds interesting, please let me know, and I’ll do my best to reply as soon as I can.

1 Like

The forms won’t let me upload a STEP file but I can share the Onshape document
https://cad.onshape.com/documents/d96b7bba6968a29c7d802834/w/b787bc9d59a5ca7e766ee4b6/e/bf00c861bb8751a60bfb92b6?renderMode=0&uiState=65d4f531d445c018c2bfd164

I got one of those packs as well, but in my case I’m trying to fit in wii bluetooth adapters.

I’d be interested in one of these dongles for a yubikey, but there might also be more specific cards/projects for that out there.

If you don’t need the extra expansion card shells, I might be open to buying some off you - depending on shipping, it would most likely be cheaper than getting a full pack directly from framework - especially since I don’t need all 20.

Depends. I want to build a few Bluetooth Wii modules with it for me and my friends and maybe something else.
Do you just need for example 2, or more?

I’ve got at the very least one (for myself), one for someone else earlier in the thread, and any more at that point would be bonuses. I might end up wanting to do more for some family & friends, so extras would be nice but not required by any means.

Just a thought, and no worries either way