Dual booting issues. Expansion card

Hello!

I’ve been using my framework laptop for around a year using windows on my SSD and ubuntu from my 1tb expansion card. Yesterday when i went on windows my applications stopped working and then i got a blue screen, so I rebooted, instant bluescreen. The blue screen error was persistent on every restart, so i decided to install windows from scratch again, but I believe i made a mistake as I cannot now access my ubuntu expansion card. It is recognized in the Disk Management app on windows, but It is not a boot option when i try to find it in the bootup screen where you click f2 or f12. Any suggestions on what to do here?

Also thank you framework community, and anyone who responds! You guys have always been so helpful!

My set up was the same. When you setup Ubuntu it changed the Boot partition and you had to ask it to boot from the expansion card maybe.

My problem is that I used Grub 2 to select the OS which resided on the expansion card. Once that failed I had to BIOS and start the laptop from the Windows drive.

Any idea what i can do to recover the ubuntu expansion card bootup and have it be useable again?

Not really something I’ve done and would take more thinking which I’m not up to currently :slightly_frowning_face:

Just edited your title from a fight ( Duel ) to two ( Dual ) and noted the expansion card as it may get a few more views :slight_smile:

1 Like

Well, thanks for the help anyway. It is odd cause i can view the disk in disk management but I’m unsure of how to mount the expansion card to even view what’s on it.

You can use Windows Management to see how it is formatted, that will give you a clue as to if Windows can read it.

Using a Raspberry Pi currently, will catch up later when I’m on my Framework…

If you have a spare USB drive you could just try running a live Ubuntu from there and see if you can see the Expansion card better.

I don’t mind if i have to reinstall linux on the expansion card again, however i managed to recover all the windows files and put them on the linux OS, and now that the linux OS is not accessible, all my files are sorta stuck there. I suppose i can try that, but i may just decide to cut my losses at this point unfortunately

1 Like

You should be able to boot from a live install usb key, and use that to recover your Linux boot. I’ve done something similar quite a few times manually by mounting the linux boot and root partitions in a chroot environment (which is a bit tedious), but probably there are automated tools to help you with that. From the chroot environment, you can simply re-install the bootloader onto your expansion card, and it should then appear in the boot options menu again.
If you don’t feel up to the task of fixing the boot, you can at least access the files on the expansion card from the live system, and copy it elsewhere.

I’ll give that a try, another issue I have is now my windows installation requires me to activate it even though I already had it activated prior to this happening. It says my hardware has changed even though it has not, i just removed the ram and ssd and plugged them back in.