Dual hidden usb expansion card

I’ve always wanted to have internal usb ports and ideally dual ports (for a trackball mouse and spacemouse) but it’s going to be super tricky

There might be room to add a nano hub (like this, Muxtronics NanoHub)
PXL_20210918_194645357

Thought I’d play around with one of these because I have a few of them. I knew it wouldn’t fit but I was curious what they looked like inside.

It’s a little hard to see through the epoxy potting but the usb-c and usb-a are fairly close with very little pcb between them.

7 Likes

I just received some USB-A to USB-C convertors I ordered off Amazon that are insanely tiny and each fits inside the USB-A port, if there is a shallow USB-C to dual USB-C they might work this way.

1 Like

Are you talking about one of these low profile connections? (this is a micro not a c but same thing)

2 Likes

Could you toss up the link so we can see what unit you are using? Thanks

1 Like

These are very similar to those but are USB-C. They appear to have gone out of stock after I ordered mine.

Cablecc 5pcs Ultra Mini Type-C USB-C to USB 2.0 OTG Adapter for Cell Phone Tablet & USB Cable & Flash Disk

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B077QDH43H/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_fabc_Z14AGJ5Y9XD7PPB7WBEE?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

2 Likes

@Ethan_Spoelstra
Thank you, got me in the right place for Amazon to give me a part. I am going to make good use of this.

2 Likes

I also found these guys but I’m really not sure whether they’ll do data on both ports or if it is a dumb power splitter.

1 Like

Looks like the naming is weird on this one’s ‘color’ but the image and product name looks right.

CY 5pcs Ultra Mini Type-C USB-C to USB 2.0 OTG Adapter for Cell Phone Tablet & USB Cable & Flash Disk https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B077S1G4HX/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_fabc_3ESXQH9YR05KWK5B8GTA?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

2 Likes

Projects like this seem one of the ideal uses for the modules- stuff that a lot of people always have plugged in.
I wonder if the laptop chassis would meaningfully impact radio transmission however.

I also wonder about using those hubs such that you could have just one of these dongles and then usb-a passthrough?

1 Like

That’s the one I ordered. The other was out of stock. This one interests me because it looks like a part easy to disassemble for a “tweak” I want to do.

1 Like

I will hopefully have some answers tomorrow, delivery is scheduled for then.

1 Like

My adapters arrived and they pass power and data.

Chenyang 5pcs/lot Ultra Mini… https://www.amazon.com/dp/B078N1TWG8?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

2 Likes

Interesting thought, but I am working on it so the dongle can be replaced.

1 Like

I’ve found some compact connectors without the flared lead-in which barely fit side-by-side, probably…

20210713_7bcaf9

2 Likes

If you don’t need to have access to the dongles from outside the laptop, then maybe orienting them sideways would give more room for two since the Framework Laptop expansion cards are deeper than they are wide.

Since the USB 2.0 Hub chip is surface mount, maybe the USB type A female and USB Type C male connectors should also be surface mount. For the USB-C connector, you just need the USB 2.0 signals.

There’s more ideas at Dongle Hider

Were you planning to build this yourself by soldering pieces together with wire, or make a PCB? Maybe using JLCPCB or PCBWay or similar service?

3 Likes

I thought about mounting them sideways but I would like to have access to remove them (even though I’ll probably never take them out)

I’ve been learning KiCad so PCB. Oddly they call those green usb A ports surface mount…

1 Like

I was thinking about trying to cobble together the same thing. I was just going to use this NanoHub - tiny USB hub for hacking projects and solder it to 2 USB c ports. (don’t have time to learn any board designy stuff)

2 Likes

It is great that there are 2 port and 4 port versions, if you were REALLY clever/crazy you could hook up the dongles internally and still present a USB-A port (or two) to the outside world.

https://muxtronics.nl/nanohub.html

1 Like

Adafruit Industries have the reverse of that adapter in an ultra slim form, perhaps it could be reverse-engineered for an even more slim and finished version.

@Brady_Christianson That Adafruit adapter works because you are putting a small port inside a little port. The USB-C can fit inside a USB-A. The reverse is not true so the adapter can only be as compact as the USB-A device touching the face of the USB-C connector. To get any more compact than that, you would need to start modifying the USB-A device to break out it’s USB pins in such a way it can interface with USB-C in a more compact way or solder it on to a custom expansion card PCB.