Dual USB-C Expansion Card

Awesome what max wattage would it support?

And a P-channel MOSFETā€¦ I checked the datasheet ā€¦ a pretty cool chip ā€¦ The MOSFET also needs an additional 2 resistors ā€¦ lol But an impressive feat non the lessā€¦

I would think you only need a MOSFET if you have need for overload protection. But the laptop should already have that upstream.

2 Likes

I am just going with what is layed out on the typical application from the datasheet and Adafruitā€™s board

1 Like

But it depends on what you need. Here, you only need the HUSB238 to request USB-PD 5v 3A. So that the upstream chip doesnā€™t trip any overload protection before 3A.

After I would get a Framework laptop (I would like to order a 16 after it comes out), I would order a double USB-C expansion card. Keep up the good work, @tbe !

5 Likes

Just here to show my support :slight_smile:

6 Likes

First, shout out to you @tbe, the work youā€™ve done here is really impressive, thank you for your involvment in the community and for sharing your journey with us.
Iā€™m still thinking about acquiring a Framework, reading all of these posts makes my mouth water.
I would for sure acquire one of these adapters but would love to see PD passthrough come in at least one of the port so I can reduce the number of extension cards I need for basic usability of the laptop.

I found this boy popping on the Amazon listing Connect USB-C to 4-Port USB-C Hub | Belkin US, Iā€™m pretty sure
It may be interesting to see whatā€™s inside to see if two ports could fit in the pcb. It would allow a port with passthrough PD and maybe another one that can draw current from the first input if plugged if I understood well.

Iā€™m willing to buy one ship one to you @tbe if you have some time to take it apart and see what could be done.

2 Likes

Welcome to the community :relieved:ā€¦

Thanks but thatā€™s not necessary. I did take a look at a different one (delock branded) that has the ICs they used published on their website. The problem is (with many specialized ICs) that thereā€™s no datasheet, devkits or other documentation publicly available (you have to be company signing an NDA to get these things). The FW does have a similar chip on the mainboard. Also there is the PCB real estate problem remaining, the space is already crammed with components and just simply adding more layers wonā€™t help much.
Iā€™ll first get the current design up and running (well it mostly is but there is some work to be done to make it manufacturable), then weā€™ll see where this getsā€¦

18 Likes

Just commenting to add my support to this project. Really impressive work, eager to see where this is going. If there was a crowdfunding campaign to build this extension as a finished product, Iā€™d surely get a bunch!

5 Likes

I would also would buy 2 pieces (but I live in Europe).

3 Likes

I would buy at least two of these as well.

3 Likes

Definitely down for one, depending on final price, maybe two! Looks really useful! Great work!

2 Likes

Just noting my show of support for multi output adapters like two USB-C ports.

I have the AMD Framework 13 on order and having space for more than four ports at any given time (even if there are some limitations on capability of those ports) would be awesome.

2 Likes

Would definitely be ordering one or two as soon as available.

1 Like

Just came to say that Iā€™d happily buy 2 over here in Australia regardless of price.
This is definitely something framework should have done from the beginning.

1 Like

Add me to the list of interested parties (UK), I would probably buy 2-3.

Just to throw my support behind this too, I would also buy one or two!

1 Like

I would be down for one, UK but can also get shipped to US if UK shipping isnā€™t possible.