Explainer: Lid rigidity, hinge force, the CNC Top Cover, and the new 4.0kg Hinge Kit

You may be correct and I had considered that, but given my engineering experience I think it may work. Still as my hinges are fine I will only be trying this if they get loose. In fact they seem to be stiffening up over the 4 months of use :slight_smile:

Another idea is to add linseed oil which dries but they may become too stiff over time.

I used organic rapeseed oil, which is a less powerful drying oil than linseed, on the chain bar of my 3 BHP chain saw. After some months the chain became stuck.

1 Like

Just noticed that the 3.3kg hinge kit on the marketplace has been replaced with a 3.8kg designation. Description still says 3.3kg so maybe a typo? If not, curious if theyā€™ve found a better balance with strength while still allowing one-handed opening.

Yes probably a typo as my understanding is the first iteration of hinges range from 2.8Kg to 3.8Kg the new 3.5Kg to 4.5KG

Thanks for the info. Waiting for the 4 to come back in stock :pensive:

1 Like

Am I the only one who thinks that 1Kg ā€˜rangeā€™ per iteration is rather WIDE?

Take the 3.3Kg nominal set for example. Off the assembly line, one unit could be at 3.8, and another unit at 2.8. Thatā€™s 25%-35% difference depends on how you look at the numbers.

1 Like

Nope, a 1kg range on a 3.3kg targetā€¦

@Second_Coming @Usernames

There are posts discussing this above

yeah. But the tolerance (set by framework) is 3.3kg/cm (torque), plus or minus 0.5kg/cm.

But, consider how the hinge is made, even a very slight difference in the brackets can lead to ā€¦ well, frankly, more than 0.5kg/cm differences.

However, these numbers doesnā€™t mean you will have, say, 50 minimum and 50 maximum (out of a run of 100 hinge). Whatā€™s more likely is that the hinges will be spread along a Gaussian Distribution, and thus only a tiny portion (less than 0.5%) of them will be close to the min/max boundary. Those numbers can be considered ā€œabsolute worst caseā€, since anything outside of that boundary will be scrapped.

2 Likes

The likelihood of the distribution is an assumption for all we know.

ā€¦Because youā€™re assuming that 3.3kg/cm is the only target.

What we donā€™t know is whether itā€™s a binning selection process. where the actual production of the hinge has an even wider range, and then they bin the 2.8-3.8kg/cm for Frameworkā€¦and then just shaped / cut the hinge attachment brackets to spec.

2 Likes

I go to a weekly developer meetup, and everyone there who was considering a Framework has decided to hold off based on all the annoyances with mine. The hinge being the biggest one.

Every time I go to pick up or move my laptop to show someone something, the screen droops.

And outside of the meetups, it continues to frustrate me on a daily basis. If I use it on my lap, it droops while Iā€™m typing. If I walk it it, it falls after a few steps. If I pick it up or lay it down, it falls.

Stack that on top of:

• The touchpad doesnā€™t click properly if youā€™re holding the laptop from one side, or the laptop isnā€™t level on your lap (because the frame flexes)
  • If you let the battery discharge fully, it sometimes will not turn on unless you discover and use the workaround of plugging in two chargers at once to get around a bios bug
  • Some keys rattle like crazy when the speakers play low frequencies, making it a terrible experience for music. (Was able to mitigate this to some extent by removing the tab key and bending the stabilizer a little).
  • The microphone cutting out inconsistently based on how much the lid is opened, and randomly outputting loud static to the people in my calls.

From a first experience, this feels like a nicely built laptop. But the more I use it, the more I realize it has worse build quality than a $300 Chromebook.

2 Likes

@Daniel_Power - have you engaged Support regarding these issues?

If the hinges are floppy, I would expect that they would be replaced. In the worst case scenario, you could pick up replacements out of pocket - which you should not have to do if they are faulty, but if you get into a back and forth about whether or not they are, you do have an option, even if you donā€™t think that you should have to take it.

The battery issue is a challenging one. Iā€™m currently letting my family machine sit to see if I can reproduce it. Itā€™s still not completely clear if some systems are more susceptible to it than others, but it seems that way.

Have you checked with Support regarding the rattling keys? Also, there is a thread here with some EQ profiles that can be applied which are supposed to make the sound better and the sound-induced vibration less (if my memory is correct).

The mic issue also sounds like something for Support, but you also could check the connection to the board to see if that helps at all.

I use my primary heavily every day and have been very happy with it. Yes, I have had some issues, but I was able to resolve them with help from Support, and the machine is humming along now. Itā€™s much nicer than most of the various chromebooks that I have had over the years. I can think of only one that was nicer, but that machine was replaced twice due to hardware issues. The third one so far has held up.

Edit to add - I forgot about the trackpad click item. Mine does not seem to do that, but admittedly I just tested it quickly. The are some how-to articles on adjusting the trackpad that may be of help, but if not, that does not seem normal, so hopefully Support could help.

2 Likes

The battery?, there are two.

Iā€™ve let the main battery die a number of times, until the machine powers off and had no problem just pluggin in and away I go

The ML 1220 (BIOS/CMOS/RTC) battery should last a few weeks if you fully charge it.

Your experience may then be just down to your use unless you have a faulty laptop ~ In which case contact support officialy

Same as mentioned with the hinge. If you get up quickly then yes the screen may move or flop, but my screen is fine i.e. hinges ~ so again contact support.

But if I was went o a weekly meeting with a laptop with those issues and I had doen nothing to resolve I would expect my ā€˜colleguesā€™ not only to turn thier nose up at the laptop but me for putting up with such :slight_smile:

So new Gen12 laptops still have a 3.3kg/cm hinge, but the new CNC top cover?

@Simon_BN Correct

1 Like

So I want to give an update to my previous post. Iā€™ve since contacted support, and they sent a replacement hinge. I also purchased a replacement touchpad.

Every time I go to pick up or move my laptop to show someone something, the screen droops.

And outside of the meetups, it continues to frustrate me on a daily basis. If I use it on my lap, it droops while Iā€™m typing. If I walk it it, it falls after a few steps. If I pick it up or lay it down, it falls.

I contacted support, and they were very responsive. They requested some video evidence to show the severity of the problem, which is perfectly reasonable. I sent them a video showing that the screen falls under its own weight. They agreed the hinges were defective and sent new ones.

When I received the new hinges, they were fantastic. I responded to support stating that it had resolved the problem completely. Over time however, the new hinges have gotten worse. Theyā€™re not quite as bad as the old ones yet, but they gradually get looser over time.

The screen will fall under its own weight if opened to around 160 degrees. Itā€™s worse when the laptop is running warm, such as when compiling code. But so far itā€™s not interfering with my usage like the old hinges were. Iā€™m disappointed they wouldnā€™t replace the old hinge with the 4.0kg hinge.

The touchpad doesnā€™t click properly if youā€™re holding the laptop from one side, or the laptop isnā€™t level on your lap (because the frame flexes)

This issue also continued to get worse over time. By the time I received the replacement part, I could barely get clicks to register at all. Replacing the touchpad solved this issue completely. Which confirms it was a defective touchpad.

If you let the battery discharge fully, it sometimes will not turn on unless you discover and use the workaround of plugging in two chargers at once to get around a bios bug

I havenā€™t had this happen since updating the BIOS. So this issue appears to be resolved.

The microphone cutting out inconsistently based on how much the lid is opened, and randomly outputting loud static to the people in my calls.

Customer support suggested I remove and re-install the webcam module to ensure the connections were good. This resolved the problem completely. So it was just a loose connection from the factory it seems.

All in all, the Framework is a laptop that is almost exceptional. But itā€™s marred by a series of quality control issues. Iā€™m glad I was able to so easily replace the faulty parts, but on a laptop in this price range, itā€™s pretty surprising just how many faults there are.

And even moreso to see that the new replacement hinges are degrading, and in a few months will probably become just as unusable as the old ones.

I want to see Framework succeed. I donā€™t regret my purchase. But Iā€™m going to need to see some strong evidence that more focus is being put on quality control before I consider upgrading or buying another.

3 Likes

Well that isnā€™t surprising as the 3.3Kg were what you bought and is standard. You could have bought the 4Kg.

So far, after a year, my 3.3Kg are still usable. I have this idea, if they fail, to adjust them to make them tighter.

Engineering options, Iā€™m sure you can think of some.

• squeezing one in a vice
  • Hammering the end
  • Drilling and adding a grub screw

and now maybe you have a spare set to work on :slight_smile:

2 Likes

So I was thinking about getting the 4.0kg hinges, but then I read ā€¦

So does that mean that in the worst-case scenario Iā€™m getting weaker hinges (4.0 - 0.5 = 3.5) as are currently installed (3.3 + 0.5 = 3.8)?

2 Likes

@mahe Yep, that is exactly what that means

hmmm, imho this should be avoided ā€¦
I always lose in a lottery.

1 Like

If you feel that you hinges are really loose, then its likely you landed lower in the distribution and should see an improvement with the 4kg.