Fan noise after a week of use

Hi. I’m using my framework laptop since a week. No problems so far. Except my IcyBox Dock taking time an a lot of USB Connicting signals until it works, but this was sometimes a problem with my XPS 13 before too, so has nothing to do with the framework.
But today the fan started to make a noticable sound even in moderate use. Its not that it seem not to be working, but i’m wondering if there is a problem developing, since it started today after no problems before. It wasn’t there the last four days. It’s not a electircal buzz, it’s rather a mechanical sound.
Anyone with a similiar experince?
regards,
Ingo

I experienced this right when I got my laptop 3 weeks ago. I opened up the fan fully, took out the fan blade, cleaned the whole thing out (even though there was no visible dust/dirt), then reattached everything back. The annoying buzzing mechanical sound I heard at low to medium speeds hasn’t come back since.

If all else fails, I’m sure Framework Support would send you another Heatsink + Fan unit to fix the issue.

1 Like

Thanks for the Info! Good to know that I’m not hearing voices! :slight_smile:
Oddly enough the sound vanished after an hour or so…
We will see if it happens again.

1 Like

Possible. But do you think this could be the reason for the sound? For me it sound more like the bearing of the fan not as if something was touching the fan blades

Hi @Ingo_Korte. I would recommend submitting a ticket to our support team here: Framework | Support so they can ensure your laptop is performing as intended!

Thank you and stay safe!

Hi @_JB_bak ,
ticket submitted! :grinning:
Thanks!

1 Like

@RandomUser
Will do! :+1:

1 Like

@RandomUser
It took me a while to find the time to do what @_JB_bak JB from framework support suggested in the support ticket.
I took out the fan and cleaned it, put it back together and put the CPU under load. The fans ramped up and i got a normal noise, as I would expect. I come from a Dell XPS 13 2-1 7390 and that thing was noisy as hell :slight_smile: .The problem with the humming was never under full load and it didn’t occur constantly. I guess I am just to sensitive for that special frequency. I hear that from my wife frequently, when I’m hearing sounds no one else hears. :slight_smile:
Also I am on BIOS Version 3.07 already, so that could be ruled out too.
I closed the ticket. As long as the temperatures are ok and the Noise is not " Dell XPS-Class" I have no real problem.
Thank you all for your suggestions!

@Ingo_Korte you may be interested in this if you’re using Linux:

[Linux] Fan speed controller with custom speed curve

@Jason_Hottelet
unfortunately I have to use Windows workwise :pensive:

1 Like

@_JB_bak
Thanks to the exceptionally good framework customer support, I got a Heatsink/Fan_replacement Kit. It was stuck in german customs for a brief moment thanks to german bureaucracy :roll_eyes: but finally it got to me.
I replaced the heatsink/fan unit within 10 minutes. Did I mention I love the framework laptop coming from the Hell of a Dell XPS 2-1? :grimacing:
The disturbing humming noise vanished. It seems it really was a problem with the fan.
So thanks again for the great customer support!

3 Likes

Hi @Ingo_Korte,

We’re glad to hear that the fan noise was resolved. If you have any other questions/concerns please don’t hesitate to contact us. We’re here to help!

Thank you and stay safe!

1 Like