Faulty pixel line in screen, matching with spacebar

Anyone having faulty pixels with the new 2.8k screen? After a couple of weeks of use, I’m getting a line of washed out pixels that seems to match with the position of the spacebar when the lid is closed.

It seems that only blue pixels are affected (can only notice it in a black or blue background; red and green pixels still seem to be able to darken normally)

Hopefully I’m still under warranty, but this looks like a design flaw and I don’t want to just have the same happen to a screen replacement.

Any reccomendations?

You should contact support for a screen replacement.

Do you put anything heavy on your laptop or carry it in a tight bag/backpack?

It might be that the space bar is getting pressed up against the display causing some damage to it. I cannot say for certain though.

1 Like

If you look at your input cover does it bow in that area maybe? If not wonder if this due to pressure on the lid in certain situations?

Nothing detectable on mine

1 Like

I carry it around in a backpack but I don’t put any extraordinary amount of weight on it. Nothing that wouldn’t be considered regular use.

I have never heard of dead pixels in such an orderly manner and only a specific line failing which is why I think it is that something is pressing on the display damaging it. Dead pixels are usually also completely black rather than the purple I’m seeing in the image.

I think the best first step to proceed is to file a support ticket immediately. Support takes some time to verify the issue, so it would be better if you got in touch as quickly as possible. This way, you can get a new display while investigating the issue.

The next step would be to find something to verify whether or not something is pressing against. I don’t have any great ideas for doing this sadly. Maybe you could try placing a post it on the keyboard with the sticky side up, closing the lid, and then checking to see if the post it sticks onto the screen. Also if the post it doesn’t slide around, you can test putting the laptop in your backpack and seeing if anything presses against it.

2 Likes

I’m wondering if it is a heat issue. The laptop doesn’t suspend immediately when closed.

And yes, the post-it does stick to the screen if I place it sticky-side up on top of the spacebar.

Hi I’ve had an original glossy screen or 2.5 years and there are marks on the screen where the space bar and other keys go if I don’t use a piece of cloth to keep the oil from finger prints on the keyboard from transferring.

But more importantly I protect the screen when in my back back to limit any pressure than may push in the screen centre.

See the following post

1 Like