Feature Request Megathread

considering that apple has been selling laptops with two ports for a while and people have been buying them (yes: developers too) i am not quite sure what boring stuff the typical user is forced to have.

i have been using my framework laptop as a daily driver for work, productivity, gaming and other fun, and so far i have used: one usb-c port for charging and docking to an external screen (which is connected to a bunch of other stuff e.g. a usb DAC, keyboard, mouse, etc.). i have also used, twice, a usb-a port, to plug a usb stick. once to install linux and another time to move some models to my 3d printer. if anything i am even annoyed at the fact that i didnā€™t buy four usb-c expansion cards because i would have gladly spared the 0.5W the single usb-a port i have leaks since i never use it. i have a hdmi card and another one i canā€™t remember, both of them are still sealed.

considering that in 2022 i find it hard to believe that people donā€™t have dongles since there is no single laptop on the market that has usb-a, usb-c (both at high speeds), (2.5GB) ethernet, (micro) sd card readers, display port, hdmi, digital and analogue audio outputs, xlr (why not) and whatever else one might like, i have the feeling that this unusual preference, and i say unusual because i am looking at the most sold laptops in the market, it might be due to poor optimisation of desktop setups, since if one has a dock, or even a screen (i donā€™t own a dock) with usb-c input and a few ports on the back, most problems are solved.

p.s.: i have a usb-c dongle with a bunch of ports and i havenā€™t plugged it in yet, in one month of usage.

1 Like

Yes I thought you may have made an error with the numbers as for a screen their is usually only the diagonal for ā€˜sizeā€™ and then a ration for the comparative side lenths, but with the figures you have i.e. two figures they can only be taken as sides, which gives a diagonal on 14"

Of course the first figure 11.8" could be the diagonal, which is still bigger than the Framework and 7.56" could be the thickness/deep of the screen or computer. Looks more like a shoe box than a laptop :smiley:

@amoun maybe I donā€™t understand what you said, correctly. You meant if we want to keep the size of the laptop (11.8 inches x 7.56 inches (30 cm x 19.2 cm)), the screen size is 14 inches, not 11 or 11.6 inches?

Not quite I have misinterpreted your post as I thought the measurements referred to the screen, apologies
:blush:

1 Like

If Framework had made something like this, that money (CAD) would have been theirs. Well, till thenā€¦ (removed mentions of brand and models, but if you know, you know)

In the meantime, waiting for Framework to grow.

Single handed page up/downā€¦having to press Fn is definitely suboptimalā€¦Fn Lock does not change the arrow keys to page keys.
This is just software, so should be easy to make alt-gr + arrow work as a page key

power button brightnessā€¦need to be able to dim, or turn off the power light, when using the laptop in the dark

Edit, have found the bios option to dim the power light

3 Likes

Would it be possible to add some ā€œstand-offsā€? Currently, unless I clean the screen, I can see an ā€œimpressionā€ of the keyboard on the screen when looking in just the right light. I tried ā€œfixingā€ this by adding hot glue to the corners of the top of the laptop, but when it gets hot, they stick to the base and pull the bevel off the screen.

1 Like

Humā€¦that shouldnā€™t mechanically happen with a well-assembled Framework laptopā€¦unless either something isnā€™t machined to spec, or you have other items pressing against the laptop lid when the laptop is shut.

Maybe give support a call.

That was obvious from day one and not difficult to see, so I close with a sheet of A4 on the keyboard. :slight_smile:

The screen/lid itā€™s very rigid so carrying it a backpack I thought it would be a bigger problem.

Hi tech solution = wood pulp A4

1 Like

A standalone monitor enclosure made from the same screens. Itā€™d be the only competition to the Huawei MateView and I think itā€™d be pretty popular.

Also, OpenPOWER mainboard, but Iā€™m sure other companies (e.g. Raptor) can come in and deliver that if Framework doesnā€™t want to.

CPU power limit options in BIOS

2 Likes

An expansion card for HDMI INPUT - I want to be able to use the framework as a monitor for my phone!

What phone do you have?

e.g. Samsung DeX works over wifi and / or USB as wellā€¦

Impossible due to chipset and CPU/GPU

If they can make thisā€¦they can eventually make it smaller:

They make a ton of heat.

So itā€™s not the chipset / CPU/GPU then. Problem to be solved / solutioned / designed thenā€¦ Like every product.

e.g. Peopleā€¦battery is heavy as hell. Tesla: Weā€™ll move it.

Camera/micless bezels would be very nice, probably my biggest desire for the current laptop being made. I know that nrp said it wasnā€™t in the cards due to the cost, but Iā€™d still want to get my support for it counted. Iā€™d absolutely buy one.

There are plenty of people with access to 3D printers in this forum, you might as well just ask!

1 Like

Do you know anyone I could shoot a message to? Iā€™d rather not start up another thread just for that.