[Feature Request] Numpad using FN button

I’m very much used to using a numpad layer on my keyboard, and it would be a great addition if we could have some sort of numpad option while holding the function key on the keyboard. I’m assuming this should be possible in firmware.

4 Likes

This should be possible if/when Framework releases the EC firmware source:

In the meantime, I get this functionality by using an AutoHotkey script, which enables the numpad keys while holding CapsLock. If you’re on Windows, this code snippet can get you started:

*Capslock::return
~Capslock & Tab::return
~Capslock & j::sendinput, {blind}{numpad1}
~Capslock & k::sendinput, {blind}{numpad2}
~Capslock & l::sendinput, {blind}{numpad3}
~Capslock & u::sendinput, {blind}{numpad4}
~Capslock & i::sendinput, {blind}{numpad5}
~Capslock & o::sendinput, {blind}{numpad6}
~Capslock & 7::sendinput, {blind}{numpad7}
~Capslock & 8::sendinput, {blind}{numpad8}
~Capslock & 9::sendinput, {blind}{numpad9}
~Capslock & Space::sendinput, {blind}{numpad0}
~Capslock & p::sendinput, {blind}{numpadadd}
~Capslock & m::sendinput, {blind}{numpadsub}

(Note that this disables CapsLock functionality)

3 Likes

This is the biggest issue I have with my framework so far. I use alt codes for accents all the time, and the lack of instant access to one actively discourages me from using the laptop. (Honestly, the framework is the first time I have ever even considered buying a laptop for myself without a physical numpad built in, and I only did so because of how innovative it is.)

1 Like

@Reed_Bowman Have you tried changing the keyboard setting to English International? I have to use Spanish accents from time to time and, if I want a á, I just type ’ followed by a and, to create an ñ, I hold the right alt key and press n. I haven’t tried for other countries’ accents, but it works great for Spanish.

I used to use that, yes. My current solution is a much more capable version of that called WinCompose, which I just installed after banging my head against this for a while. It is very nice for a much wider range of things. I use fractions a lot, for instance, and this makes that even easier than with alt codes.

However, I also hate doing anything with numbers without a numpad, so having that built in and properly marked on the keyboard with a fn numlock available is still a very high priority.

1 Like