Fedora Linux 35 (Fedora 35) on the Framework Laptop

That GRUB glitch is strange - I was able to fix it on my machine using the above info from @Michael_Lingelbach - all I did was edit

/etc/default/grub as root,

change GRUB_TIMEOUT=5 to GRUB_TIMEOUT=4 ,

then run sudo grub2-mkconfig -o /boot/efi/EFI/fedora/grub.cfg

and reboot. None of the stuff from @AlliedEnvy was required in my case. I’m going to edit the wiki to flag this issue as some random GRUB wackiness potentially unrelated to F35.

4 Likes

I can confirm the GRUB fix reported by @gjason

However I am having fingerprint reader errors.

The reader worked on Fedora34 following the suggestions.
I wiped the M.2 and installed a dual boot windows / fedora 35b
Since then I get “Fingerprint Device Disconnected” During addition of a new fingerprint.
I have been throught the windows delete procedure, with no change. I am still working on this.
the reader is now bad on all OSs so may be a hardware issue

I have another additional ‘feature’ no one seems to have reported - Touchscreen second monitors only do touch on the primary display. It is a GNOME issue, that may be resolved with settings.

2 Likes

I had an issue setting up the fractional scaling using -

$ gsettings set org.gnome.mutter experimental-features “[‘scale-monitor-framebuffer’]”

However using the recipe here
for Wayland - All users

The fractional scaling is back and looking great.

Note the /etc/dconf/db/locks/ directory did not exist and needed to be created to get this to work.

3 Likes

I lost my wifi yesterday after a dnf upgrade, which updated the following packages:

I was able to get wifi back by rolling back all of those installs - I ran dnf history | head to get the ID of the last batch of DNF actions (which was 68 in my case), then downgraded all of the packages with sudo dnf history undo 68, and wifi was back after a reboot. Upon further investigation, it appears that installing iwl7260-firmware version 1:25.30.13.0-122.fc35 caused the problem, as installing it obsoleted & removed iwlax2xx-firmware version 20210919-123.fc35, which seems to be the driver package that was working for the Intel AX210. As instructed by Red Hat Bugzilla Bug 2010250, I ran dnf install iwlax2xx-firmware (by connecting a wired USB ethernet dongle) and wifi was back after a reboot.

3 Likes

There is now a newer version of this firmware package available that apparently doesn’t cause the AX210 drivers to be removed.

1 Like

The Fedora 35 RC 1.2 was released for testing yesterday. It seems the downloads are available here. I guess some of the issues are fixed from the Fedora 35 beta.

Related tweet on the twitter: https://twitter.com/fedora/status/1452986673097281546

There is another thread: Fedora 35 beta on Framework laptop about Fedora 35. But I think it’s better to use this thread.

2 Likes

I upgraded from 34 to 35, and I haven’t noticed any problems.

Note the Fedora 35 will be shipped live on coming Tuesday 2nd November 2021.

1 Like

I guess I was misled by what I read at https://is.fedora.released.info/, where it says, “It’s Out!” I will say that as someone new to Fedora it’s been oddly hard to find an official Fedora page that clearly says when or under what conditions Fedora 35 will be considered released.

That’s pretty fair on both your and Fedora’s part because Fedora didn’t know they were releasing on the 2nd until yesterday.

The way Fedora does it, they have a target date for a Tuesday towards the end of April and October. On the Thursday prior to that Tuesday, a team sits down and reviews any final blocker bugs, proposed blocker bugs, and decides if the full release is Go/No-Go for the following Tuesday. They will evaluate and delay, week by week, as necessary until all the blocker bugs are removed, the final release date being the Tuesday after the Thursday meeting they give the release candidate the green light.

So, they didn’t know they would be releasing on the 2nd until yesterday and unless you knew this and knew to google “Fedora 35 final blocker bug status,” you wouldn’t know because Fedora doesn’t push a date until it’s ready.

The website you linked is referring to the release of the Fedora 35 beta which did happen in September, but it doesn’t seem to mention anywhere that it is referring to the beta.

Fedora does have a discoverability problem. They at least in my opinion have some of the best documentation of any distro on just about every aspect of their project, rivaling the Arch wikis and guides, but that information is spread out across multiple locations and is much less searchable which is why people who don’t even use Arch on their machines use the Arch wikis for troubleshooting while newer users to Fedora have trouble figuring out when the stable version of the next release is coming out because they haven’t yet learned the exact phrase they need to look for to get the information they want.

3 Likes

I am not sure about the website you mentioned. It’s not the fedoraproject.org domain. So, maybe someone created it unofficially with good intent. I can recommend the devel-announce mailing list as a primary information source to know the latest info such as release dates, or Fedora twitter account.

1 Like

Thanks @RandomUser Turns out this service is for TPM1 only
For the other problem I opened a bug here: 2018978 – TPM support does not work on Fedora 35

I updated F34 to F35 and it fixed bluetooth problems. Previously bluetooth remained functional but a previously connected device (mouse) would become unstable (connect,disconnect,connect,disconnect,…) after reboot. If I removed the component and re-paired then it was stable (until I shut down again).

Stable for 2 days and about a dozen reboots, now.

Back to being a big fan!

1 Like

I’ve noticed that I can’t invert scrolling on the touchpad

Mouse I had problems with was a Razer Basilisk X Hyperspeed.
It is bi-mode (usb dongle or bluetooth) and I only had problems with bluetooth.
Still working fine in 35.
Just curious, why are you asking?

No, I use the KDE Respin. They call it “Invert Scrolling.” It was working in Fedora 34, but the setting does nothing in Fedora 35. I also seem to be missing tap-to-click. I remember there was a modification to the quirks file to enable options that were usually absent, but can’t find it.

I lost sound. It’s really strange, and for a minute I figured it might be a hardware issue (I’ve had my laptop for less than a week). But neither speakers nor headphone jack work at all since updating to 35. I wonder if it has something to do with the “soundcard”, which I guess was changed at the last minute in manufacturing. Is there some sort of specific driver for the sound? And Why did it all work in Fedora 34?
When I go to settings and sound, the System Volume is all the way down and the speaker button has an ‘x’. I can move the volume up, click the button, but nothing changes. System Sound under “Volume levels” is all the way up. In “Output” I cannot get any device to show up, it remains stubbornly blank. Input and “Input Device” as well.
It’s really screwed up.

@Christopher_Daniels I’ll second this, Installed the KDE spin of 35. No sound. Brand new install.

I tested the Fedora 35 Cinnamon spin yesterday, and I had sound (at least while running the Live USB).

Is it possibly Common F35 bugs: no sound after upgrade? If so,

systemctl --user enable --now wireplumber                          

in your user session (not as root; no sudo) should fix it.

Hmmm — that shouldn’t happen. This is with the released version or did you start with a beta? If beta, the above might apply. If new install, something else is going on.

2 Likes