Fifth update on Framework Laptop 16 Shipment Timing

Uh, it does? I’m unfamiliar with that model. Of course, I also haven’t particularly paid too much attention to things as a whole, instead just searching for certain bits of features that I wanted.

On the other hand, I wasn’t actually replying to you. Dustin_FLoyd didn’t say exactly what laptops he’s been buying.

@Aaron_Baff a dumb joke I’m sure (flexing = poor quality).

2 Likes

lol yes

1 Like

It looks like you can install all these at the same time:

• WD_BLACK™ SN850X NVMe™- M.2 2280 - 4TB
  • Western Digital SN740 NVMe™ - M.2 2230 - 2TB
  • Storage – 1TB on Expansion Card (USB)

This is what is offered on FW website, and probably you can find larger SSDs elsewhere.

I selected the low power and durability components for disks.

• Sabrent Rocket 1TB NVMe 4.0 SSD 2230 - Got it for 78 Euro.
  • Solidigm P44 Pro M.2 2TB 2280 - Got it for 171 Euro.

After new year, prices dropped drastically :slight_smile: Was worth waiting.

For the RAM, depends on which has the best price. Probably the Fury 2x32GBytes
As I’m batch 1 - I’ll prolly have it February :slight_smile:

I will install Artix, an Arch derivative whose only difference is the init system. You have the option to choose OpenRC, runit, s6, or Dinit.

Team bach 14 too ! Hoping to get shipped in may :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Official or not, it’s what I plan to run

3 Likes

I used Colemak once upon a time. I had to look up CAW, that’s something that I don’t think existed when I used it from 2010-2018 or so. Had to stop and relearn qwerty when I switched jobs and had to use windows and couldn’t install a colemak driver :frowning: on my work machine.

I was hoping actually that framework would offer a colemak keyboard option haha. Nope, not yet at least

I got a 4TB Lexar NM790 for 190€, it seems to be really good. There are some issues with patents for the NAND, though that’s not my issue but they might not be allowed to sell them in the future.

2 Likes

Nice! I dread the day that this could happen to me, but honestly I won’t work somewhere where I’m unable to use Colemak + Extend. As a software engineer, there is enough choices out there to behave like this, I hope. However, if you have the Framework 16, you can reprogram the keyboard itself. That’s extremely awesome, as this allows you to use Colemak and other layers everywhere, it doesn’t matter if you’re in the grub shell, an arch install iso, windows, Hackintosh/MacOS whatever.

That’s why that’s actually one of the biggest features for me that I’m looking forward to.
I might redo my layers a bit, as I want to build myself a Charybdis Nano soon. I’ll likely use Miryoku, maybe with a few modifications.

Homerow mods are something I’d love to try as well. They seem to be very ergonomic and nice for keybinds as well.

1 Like

Then unfortunately it isn’t an option for me. Thanks for the reminder though. :face_exhaling:

I do plan on giving the MT7922 / RZ616 a try. If it doesn’t work, I’m not playing games though and I will replace it, especially given my Wi-Fi in my house isn’t great to begin with.

Same here, I would absolutely use a Fairphone if they shipped to the U.S. My S22 Ultra is on its last leg in terms of battery life and nobody seems to want to replace the battery…

Same here! Well, technically, EndeavourOS, but that’s because getting Arch working is a bit of a job that I do know how to do, but I don’t like to do it that often. And having yay and paru in an easy to install repository makes it great.

1 Like

Yeah, there are/were some flaws with power saving on the MT7922/RZ616. If you notice some issues you need to disable power saving for wifi. After sleep/wake 6ghz stops working and speeds are greatly reduced. Disable wifi power saving and its back. People couldn’t figure out why its performance was so bad before this discovery. You’ll also want a newer kernel as some of the older kernels have issues with the card. 6.6+ is pretty decent. I’ve seen people patching 6.1 but its flakey.

The speed issues seem to be tied to the wlan firmware. Upgrading to the new firmware mentioned here helps:

1 Like

and here i thought i was pushing things with the mid 2012 mbp i resurrected to have something usable* while waiting for my batch 15 order.

* i wasn’t able to replace the factory thermal compound in the machine because the heat sink screws immediately stripped and i just didn’t have the confidence for extracting those. so i have to be paranoid about temperatures.

Any experience with the archinstall script? I was gonna give it a shot tonight and see if it could replace EndeavorOS on my secondary laptop.

I’ve been running vanilla arch on both a 11th gen, and 12th gen intel framework 13 for over a year now, and it honestly works more seamlessly than even Fedora in my experience. It is really well supported. I imagine the amd systems will also run well on it because there is pretty good support for amd on linux, and the latest kernels tend to have the best compatibility with newer platforms like phoenix, but I don’t have personal experience with it.

2 Likes

Archinstall works great these days. They’ve added most of the things I thought were missing when I last messed with it a year or so ago, and it really streamlines the process of installing arch. I would say it’s not quite as user friendly as graphical installers like anaconda (fedora) or calamares (ubuntu and friends), but it walks you through all the steps without having to drop to the command line for anything unless you need a very specific setup. It also has good default profiles for installing a desktop environment, and networking tools (networkmanager for most guis). Arch isn’t nearly as tricky to install as it used to be, and I don’t even use the wiki for guidance when I’m installing it these days because archinstall walks me through the process well enough.

3 Likes

There is free software that lets you reprogram every key as whatever other key you want, so any laptop can have any layout you want, get some vinyl and someone with a cutter and make custom stickers if you need them.

You don’t need any software running on your OS, you can reprogram the chip on the keyboard itself. It’s running QMK and will support Vial, IIRC.

I’m extremely happy about that :smiley:

1 Like