Fifth update on Framework Laptop 16 Shipment Timing

Been running it on the framework 13 since 2021, no issues whatsoever

Via, not Vial.
Framework has not said they plan to add Vial support, and there is no Vial work to be found on their github. Though people have asked for it. But most likely community members will create Vial builds.

Ah okay, whoops. Thanks for the correction. Iā€™m not on a QMK board yet, so I havenā€™t played with the software stuff. Just looked for what is out there to figure out which one I want :smiley:

Even still, Iā€™m sure there will be something like the Miryoku layout for the Framework 16 fairly quickly ^^

There is, but said free software, registry edits, or anything else canā€™t be run on my companyā€™s computers for security reasons. There were no options available.

When I used Linux, it was as simple as using setxkbmap in X11, which comes with colemak. Windows requires 3rd party drivers, registry edits, or software that intercepts key codes and dynamically translates them. None of those were options.

The job was a step up in my career, so I kept it, but wasnā€™t happy about needing to relearn to type. Unfortunately thatā€™s a downside of using a layout that isnā€™t QWERTY or dvorak. And keeping 2 layouts in my head I was unsuccessful with. After touch typing qwerty for 20 years I learned colemak, and all the qwerty memory vanished like so much spilled liquid nitrogen. Just POOF lol

2 Likes

I am talking about on any laptop ever, so programmability of keyboard doesnt really matter was my point

I am learning carpalx, and that is a worry of mine, being able to keep some qwerty skill if I need it

Iā€™m still able to type on QWERTY, though itā€™s only been 1.7 years since switching. Iā€™m comfortable at 110-120wpm with Colemak, idk my QWERTY speeds but if Iā€™d use it a few days in succession Iā€™d probably be back to 70-80wpm.

Generally speaking this will for sure be worth it. I didnā€™t know carpalx, seems to be decent. Colemak is wider spread within this niche though, so maybe have a look into it? Iā€™m very happy with Colemak DH (CAW aka curl angle wide, to be exact).

Only thing I need to do with the keyboard is swap the Fn and Ctrl around.

IBM/Apple got it right, everyone else who swapped them round is a heretic! :joy:

As someone whoā€™s regularly swapping between the two layouts right now, Iā€™ll say whichever Iā€™m currently at a given moment is wrong because Iā€™m hitting the wrong key, and whatever I used last is the correct one.

6 Likes

just wondering how many users are in single batch ? 100 or 1000. if its 100 then i think it should not be difficult to produce and ship 1500 laptops

4 Likes

I donā€™t believe Framework has ever released the size of batches. Also, I think I recall reading that later batches might be larger.

3 Likes

How long is a piece of string?

2 Likes

Seven

5 Likes

FYI I havenā€™t found anyone able to get Wi-Fi 7 on an AMD computer yet. Intel AX210 for Wi-Fi 6E apparently works fine, but Intel BE200 for Wi-Fi 7 prevents laptop from even getting to BIOS screen. I hope this is just early-release issues and will be resolved with firmware updates in the coming months. See this Framework subreddit thread.

Havenā€™t heard for the Framework specifically, but the AMD RZ738 (the WiFi 7 successor to the RZ616) seems to work well with AMD systems, unfortunately it is pretty hard to get currently. (BTW the AX200 is an older card that doesnā€™t support 6E, I assume you mean AX210)

The RZ738 (aka MediaTek MT7927) also seems to have a pretty big (over 20%, often more) performance uplift over the RZ616 or AX210 even on WiFi 6 networks. So you donā€™t even need a WiFi 7 network to get a meaningful benefit from the RZ738.

1 Like

Oops, yes I meant AX210 not AX200. Edited above.

I assumed AMD would release an updated chip eventually but wasnā€™t able to find RZ738 / MT7927, thank you for sharing that!

Found this press report saying general availability not until mid 2024, but since I see at least one motherboard is apparently shipping with it now maybe that means Framework could start shipping with it soon too.

Sooooo, no 6th update yet then?

Updates were said ho have a biweekly cadence. So either next week, or nothing at all until the Batch 1 emails

1 Like

ah yes I forget what day of the week it is :smiley:

From the wording in the fith update, I actually think we wonā€™t get another update at all, at least not in the same style. They said they were going straight into mass production on the 22nd (bar any catastrophic defects in final inspection of course)
So i would expect shipping notifications for batch 1 by the end of next week, or a few days into the following week.

6 Likes