Framework 11th gen intel, Crucial CT32G4SFD832A experiences?

I had to edit 8K video on the go(i know… I know) And I actually managed to get something done by setting the monitor resolution in DaVinci Resolve studio in Linux to 480 by 272. Obviously, not ideal. Small changes used up my 16 gigabytes of memory and then unusable.

I checked out the recommended RAM list. I bought a Crucial CT32G4SFD832A. No boot, no flash screen. I tried one stick in each slot, one slot, one stick at a time, and nothing worked.

Are there any logged issues with this memory that have changed since the article was created in the knowledge base, suggesting that this memory was compatible? Or is there some sort of configuration that I should do or buy us upgrade needed prior to this working? It does list itself as DDR4 3200 with the CAS latency of 22 and a voltage of 1.2 volts, which seems to be in line with The voltage, cache latency, and bandwidth specifications of the RAM that was included with the computer.

Thank you very much to anybody who has an experience to share. It is massively appreciated and I hope to report back with findings and an advice so that others may benefit.

Interesting, a couple of things. The first thing I tried is updating the BIOS to a new one. Upon doing that, I was able to get one RAM stick to work. I turned the computer on, it turned itself off after about a minute of being on with a black screen and the fan on full speed, after which it rebooted itself and then after 30 seconds started booting normally. I forget whether it naturally turned itself back on or if I turned it back on myself after the first time that it sat at a blank screen for a minute and then turned itself off. But when I turned it back on after 30 seconds it booted and then after this each time I would turn the computer on, it booted up at full speed As if I had the old RAM in.

I inserted two RAM sticks. The same thing happened again, even with the new BIOS. It sat there with the fan on full speed doing nothing, and then turned off. I don’t remember if when it turned off, I had to turn it on again or if it naturally rebooted itself. But when that happened, 30 seconds later, it booted. After that, it booted quickly every time. a minute to a minute and a half befoe I saw anything on the screen, and it also turned off after being on for a minute rebooted itself and then when it turned back on after 30 seconds, I was able to get it to boot without having to touch the power button or the computer.Same thing happened, again. If I tried two RAM sticks after the new BIOS, it’s very possible that this worked all along with the old BIOS, but I was not patient enough to give it one minute to start up

I’m guessing that the BIOS had nothing to do with this in the first place, and that I was being impatient by not waiting one to two minutes for it to turn on before going back to the old ram and trying to upgrade the BIOS.

If this is standard operating procedure for this machine, I think a minor edit to the supported or suggested rampage might be beneficial so that less people bother tech support or complain about RAM not working in the forums.

I’m not sure if other people are as stupid as me to not be able to figure this out for themselves. It is arrogant and presumptuous of me to assume that other framework customers are as stupid as I am when it comes to being able to figure this out on their own! But if it manages to help anybody else save them time or save annoying incoming emails to tech support, it might be worth it editing the knowledge base page

A long boot after changing ram configuration is normal on every laptop with replaceable ram. It’s called memory training, it’s like a test to make sure nothing is wrong with the hardware and aligns things to improve signal integrity and latency. Nerd details here.

I’m pretty sure it’s addressed in one of the framework guides, I just can’t remember which.

1 Like

This one I believe

1 Like