[RESOLVED] Framework 13 7640u wake from standby issue (SSD standby issue)

I got my batch 8 7640u a couple days ago. My experience so far has been quite poor. I got everything set up in windows. So I:

• Downloaded and installed the drivers.
  • Updated the bios.
  • Installed AMD drivers.

Every single time I suspend it fails (presumable bluescreens) and restarts. This is not good.

I tried fedora and everything works nice until the device locks and I can no longer type in my password or use my fingerprint to log in. It just says authentication failed and I can no longer log in.

Fedora doesn’t even really matter though at this point because windows deleted the grub entry. Even with the f3 boot option it just says boot failed.

Any ideas? I’m running 16GB samsung 4800mhz ram & 2TB inland ssd btw.

You installed Windows. Is that Windows 10 or 11. If it is 10, that might be the problem. I know for some of the newer Intel models, they were only compatible with Windows 11. 10 would work but you had issues.

Not sure if this is the case but just mentioning in case it is relevant.

Thanks for replying! I’m on Windows 11 and fully updated.

Anything notable in the logs for either OS? If you have any spare ram or ssds laying around (yeah, I know, but worth noting at least) you might try swapping them out and seeing if you still have the same issues - that is, swap the ssd, test, swap the ram, test, and so on.

Hopefully you are able to get it resolved.

Based on experience of various people here, that might be the problem. 5600 MHz is the official RAM and recommended by Framework, 5200 doesn’t seem to work at all, and with 4800 there has been very mixed reports between working somewhat normally to having random blue screens, to not booting at all.

If possible, I’d try to get 5600 MHz RAM to rule that out as a problem.

If possible, I’d try to get 5600 MHz RAM to rule that out as a problem

Alright :confused:
I didn’t relize zen4 was so touchy. I’ll try to grab a kit and see how it goes.

I purchased a kit of 5600HMz Crucial memory from microcenter. My problems still persists. The issue is actually more in line with this post but it is worse. Here’s exactly what happens:

• I close the lid or put it to sleep
  • If woken up within a minuet or two everything is fine.
  • If woken up after about 5 minutes nothing happens at first. The fingerprint (power indicator) is solid white, but the screen doesn’t wake. After about 10 seconds the system seemingly does a full reboot (the light turns black for a second, then the framework logo pops up).
  • On the previous ram module it would sometimes wake to the lock screen then bluescreen, but I haven’t seen this yet. Though I’ve only tested a couple times.

This is very frustrating and I’m gonna have to switch back to my old laptop for the time being.

I also ran crystaldiskmark to do a basic test of my SSD. To my untrained eyes it looked fine. ~2500MB/s for the big number and like ~150MB/s for the small number.

Any help would be appreciated as I really like this laptop besides this issue.

I’d try a different SSD if you can. It smells like the SSD is not handling the sleep/resume cycle properly. Of course, I could be full of hooey, and I did not stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night. Best of luck, I hope that you are able to get to the bottom of the issue and have a fully functioning system.

I don’t know how helpful this is but here is my event viewer logs.

The bottom error is: Dump file creation failed due to error during dump creation
The top (critical) error is: The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly
The full details for that critical error is:

- System 

- Provider 

[ Name]  Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power 
   [ Guid]  {331c3b3a-2005-44c2-ac5e-77220c37d6b4} 

EventID 41 

Version 9 

Level 1 

Task 63 

Opcode 0 

Keywords 0x8000400000000002 

- TimeCreated 

[ SystemTime]  2023-12-06T23:55:13.1882777Z 

EventRecordID 3207 

Correlation 

- Execution 

[ ProcessID]  4 
   [ ThreadID]  8 

Channel System 

Computer DESKTOP-UTF3NN1 

- Security 

[ UserID]  S-1-5-18 

- EventData 

BugcheckCode 239 
  BugcheckParameter1 0xffffc3039d47e0c0 
  BugcheckParameter2 0x0 
  BugcheckParameter3 0x0 
  BugcheckParameter4 0x0 
  SleepInProgress 0 
  PowerButtonTimestamp 0 
  BootAppStatus 0 
  Checkpoint 0 
  ConnectedStandbyInProgress true 
  SystemSleepTransitionsToOn 0 
  CsEntryScenarioInstanceId 1 
  BugcheckInfoFromEFI true 
  CheckpointStatus 0 
  CsEntryScenarioInstanceIdV2 1 
  LongPowerButtonPressDetected false 
  LidReliability false 
  InputSuppressionState 0 
  PowerButtonSuppressionState 0 
  LidState 0 

Also like 30 seconds earlier I got this error: Windows boot environment failed load the HSP firmware. StatusCode: {File Not Found} The file %hs does not exist., Reason: Failed to detect HSP device.
Though according to Reddit this final issue can be safely ignored.

I can confirm I got a “screen turned on but it failed to wake anyway” with the new kit. I am confident this wasn’t a memory issue. I do have another SSD so ig I’ll try that later.

1 Like

I swapped the Inland SSD for my trusty 1TB 660p (I miss intel SSDs, sad to see them go) and everything seems fine now. I had one seize up when reinstalling windows, but no sleep issues so far. It’s too early to say if stability is fully good again, but this is a very good sign. I really appreciate the help!

1 Like

That whole team got aquired by hynix they go by solidgm now.

1 Like

@Luke_McCarthy - thanks for the follow-up. Fingers crossed that the issue is resolved for you. Would you mind noting the specific Inland ssd that was giving you problems? I have a couple of that brand in external cases and will note if they are the same as yours. It’ll also be helpful for the community to make note of particular models that are known to work or to cause trouble.

Thanks again, and have a great day!

Yeah it was a Inland QN322 2TB. It is QLC & lacks DRAM cache so ig it makes sense there were issues. Though it could just be a bad drive :man_shrugging:

1 Like

Volume manager had an error and that absolutely points to the SSD having issues with suspend mode. Nothing happening when resuming is because the ssd can’t be remounted, etc.

Swapping the SSD is what I would have recommended as well, and I’m glad that seems to have resolved things. This is a very educational thread for anyone who might experience something similar. Thank you for posting and working through your efforts to get it resolved.

2 Likes