Laptop reboots instead of waking from sleep

I get the impression this is something that people were seeing a couple of years ago, but was believed to be no longer an issue? Unfortunately, it is apparently still around.

My new laptop running Windows 11 reliably either fully powers down in sleep, or hard reboots coming out of sleep, or something along those lines. The behavior is that I lift the lid to start using it, nothing lights up, I press the power button, and the full POST / boot sequence kicks off.

It isn’t shutting down due to low battery - this is happening while it’s plugged in to AC power. The “Power mode” setting is still in its factory-default “Balanced” state, and the “Screen and sleep” settings are also at their defaults.

The default “Screen and sleep” setting for “When plugged in, put my device to sleep after…” setting is 5 minutes - I’ll experiment with turning that off entirely, to see if that helps, but of course that shouldn’t matter…

Framework Laptop 12th Gen Intel Core (brand new)
Windows 11 22H2 (OS Build 22621.1105)

1 Like
  1. Is your Windows fully updated?
  2. What does the event manager say? Anything out of ordinary?
  3. Have you run a check on your NVME yet to see its health?

1 - Yep, fully up to date

2 and 3 - ha, you presume that I know what you’re talking about :slight_smile:

By “event manager” do you mean the Event Viewer? In the “System” logs section I do see things like an Error from EventLog that says simply “The previous system shutdown at 9:09:39 AM on 2/13/2023 was unexpected”. The only log entry around that time is apparently just like a bajillion others all the time, an “Information” level note that process c:…\WUDFHost.exe reset policy scheme from [hashmess] to [same hashmess].

It never occurred to me that Framework would ship me a brand new unhealthy drive; I didn’t even know that “checking NVME health” was even a thing…

Get CrystalDisk or something alike and test your drive health.

I got a broken NVME as well. Bought a new one, not a single disconnect issue with it.

Not Frameworks fault though.

Seems similar to this thread:

Yep, that sounds like the same issue. For the record, turning off the “When plugged in, put my device to sleep after…” behavior in Windows did not fix the issue; it’s still happening. I might try some of the lower-level interventions described in that thread.

According to that thread, it appears to be a combination of hardware misbehavior (Intel chipset / power management) and the way Windows 11 uses it.

@Christopher_Tate What version of the graphics driver are you on currently? This issue reappeared for me recently (after applying various fixes mentioned in the other thread) and it hasn’t happened since I updated the graphics drivers.

For the record, the approach described here in that other thread for setting a registry entry to disable S0 sleep did not fix this shutdown/hard reboot problem for me.

@Tinkererer_Belle if I’m reading the Device Manager properly, the Intel Xe Graphics driver currently on the laptop is version 30.0.101.1314, dated 2/22/2022. Windows Update says there is no more recent driver release available.

@Christopher_Tate Wow, Windows Update is a bit behind the times. The most recent driver is 31.0.101.4091, from 2023/01/24.

Try the Intel Driver and Support Assistant or you can download the latest driver here.

Hope it helps. I haven’t had the issue for a couple of weeks now since the update.

@Tinkererer_Belle alas, using Intel’s driver assistant to bring everything to the latest rev still doesn’t help the powering-off issue. If it sits for a day or two, lid down and on AC power, then when I raise the lid the indicator light around the power button is dark, the fingerprint sensor doesn’t read, and pushing the power button clearly kicks off a full power-on sequence from POST.

I’m having this issue on the 13" AMD 7040 edition with Fedora OS.