Framework 13 AMD Ryzen 7040 BIOS 3.03b

Mar 4 2024

Overview

This is an intermediate release that just updates our EC with patches to fix DPC watchdog violation issues, and charger compatibility issues. We will follow this with our next bios release which will include a full AMD firmware update to resolve security issues such as LogoFail.
This release is based on 3.03, with only updated EC firmware.

You can check your current BIOS version following the steps here to determine if you are on the latest release.

Downloads

Windows

https://downloads.frame.work/bios/Framework_Laptop_13_Ryzen7040_BIOS_3.03b.exe

sha256: afe976f09339372260d9c9818e09142e5bb86fe75ed0a8bbfda7093d8f2e6272

Instructions for Windows Installer:

1. Run the .exe.
  2. Click yes to reboot.
  3. Wait for the firmware progress bar to complete, and then the system will reboot.

Linux/LVFS

Currently 3.03b can be installed by manually downloading the update file from: https://downloads.frame.work/bios/Framework_Laptop_13_Amd_Ryzen7040_fwupd_3.03b.cab

sha256: ce6f8004135646238c20a4487e963945fc24989b59d9b2de28782e1ca97fb3c8

And updating using the command.

fwupdmgr local-install --allow-reinstall Framework_Laptop_13_Amd_Ryzen7040_fwupd_3.03b.cab

Linux/Other/UEFI Shell update

https://downloads.frame.work/bios/Framework_Laptop_13_Ryzen7040_BIOS_3.03b_efi.zip

sha256: 1c7882e5d2c00e85b8820bac3eeea10219cad61815ed86d3fedde1fb018bce91

Note that if you use the EFI shell update with Windows, you should suspend Bitlocker if enabled before updating using the EFI updater.

Instructions for EFI shell update:

1. Extract contents of the zip folder to a FAT32 formatted USB drive. Cleanly unmount the drive before physically removing it, otherwise the BIOS update may not function correctly.
  2. Disable secure boot in BIOS.
  3. Boot your system while pressing F12 and boot from the thumb drive.
  4. Let startup.nsh run automatically.
  5. Follow the instructions to install the update.

Updating a Mainboard outside of a laptop

To update the system firmware when in standalone mode, you must set the BIOS menu Setup Utility → Advanced->Standalone Operation to Enabled.

This release supports standalone updates without a battery attached. After rebooting, please follow the onscreen instructions to update your BIOS when in standalone mode, which will require moving the power source between both sides of the Mainboard to allow PD firmware to update correctly.

Security Fixes

None

Enhancements

Fixes

1. Fix ALS sensor update to only update when threshold is exceeded.
  2. Fix PMF update to limit update rate.
  3. Fix compatibility issues with low wattage chargers.

Component Versions

This BIOS update is a bundle of updates to multiple embedded components in the system.

Not all of them use the same version number.

BIOS 3.03 Same
EC d38f7 Updated
PD 0.0.1C Same
AMD Firmware PI1002B Same

Known Issues

Vulnerable to LogoFail.

35 Likes

Thank you for your work!

BIOS 3.03b? I am curious to know if people who already installed BIOS version 3.03, can install the BIOS 3.03b. and how users can confirm their installed BIOS version by the dmidecode command. Perhaps the command shows like this?

$ sudo dmidecode -s bios-version
03.03b
3 Likes

Big thanks to everyone at Framework for coming up with this update! My personal suggesstion would be to release more intermediate (hot fix) updates to address certain issues, such as FW13’s charging bug.

Thank you to community member @patagona for their (very in-depth and scientific) analysis of the charging bug, bringing it to broader attention.

Thanks @Michael_Wu for extensively testing NVMe-USB TypeC enclosure behavior with me! You might want to try this 3.03b, and see if the EC update fixes the behavior we encountered. (I’m currently preoccupied by other obligations)

6 Likes

Thanks @Jason_Username_Taken for bringing this to my attention :slight_smile: I’ve been waiting for this!

I’ll likely have some time to test by the end of this month and will report back in the other thread and edit this post.
Edit: unfortunately 3.03b does not fix the issue :frowning:

And as always, a big thanks to the Framework team for the continued resolutions. The efforts really make a big difference in daily usage and in turning a good product into a great product :pray:

1 Like

Thank you for the update!

Could you please specify the acceptable power rating of chargers before and after then BIOS update. 5V3A PD? 5V2A “dumb” USB-A charger (w/ USB-A to USB-C cable)?

I also have a problem of using the battery at a power bank. Sometimes I plug in an Android phone into the USB-C with my FW13 AMD switched off. However the phone charges intermittently, pausing and resuming charging each 15 to 20 seconds.

Just did the upgrade, seems to work fine, at least with 30W chargers.
Thank you very much.

2 Likes

I get firmware signature missing or not trusted; set OnlyTrusted=false in /etc/fwupd/fwupd.conf ONLY if you are a firmware developer. Is there a signature somewhere to verify?

7 Likes

The problem was that the Framework laptop didn’t follow the USB-PD specification properly, and it’s hard to say which chargers had a problem with that and which not. The problem just happened more often with lower wattage chargers, because they are easier to overload by the Laptop taking too much power. The biggest problem will be with chargers that support USB-PD, but only 3A maximum, or less, so 30W-45W chargers usually. But even higher wattage chargers might detect that the Laptop takes too much power during the ramp up phase and shut off for safety reasons.

The issue is unrelated to dumb 5V chargers that don’t support USB-PD, but these won’t output enough power to charge the laptop anyway.

1 Like

Installed with thanks to everyone involved :clap:

thanks Framework! @Kieran_Levin

is it still on beta as the title suggests?
also it would be nice to have checksum provided on frame.work for the installers/cab/zip
:smiley:

4 Likes

Just upgraded and tested: both my steamdeck charger and my 45W powerbank now are working as expected.

I had encountered the same message. I trusted the OP post, edited /etc/fwupd/fwupd.conf, upgraded end reverted the change to /etc/fwupd/fwupd.conf. Everything went fine.

If this fixes it, this could’ve saved ~100 emails back and forth, and 2 RMAs. You wanna know what’s crazy? I told them this was a firmware issue from the beginning back in December 2023!

3 Likes

I’m feeling slightly paranoid today, so:

$ sha256sum Framework_Laptop_13_Amd_Ryzen7040_fwupd_3.03b.cab 
ce6f8004135646238c20a4487e963945fc24989b59d9b2de28782e1ca97fb3c8  Framework_Laptop_13_Amd_Ryzen7040_fwupd_3.03b.cab

Anyone (official or otherwise) care to verify?

5 Likes

I confirm the Google Pixel PD charger (18W) and the Apple iPad PD charger (20W) both work as expected after applying this BIOS update.

2 Likes

not in anyway official but I do get the same value. Thanks for sharing

1 Like

OH THANK GOODNESS DPC Watchdog Violation has plagued me for too long. Though, sysinfo on windows is still showing 3.03, is it supposed to show 3.03b or is this normal?

Thank you for this update! Just in time, a couple of days after having my first and only such crash.

So if I have Ubuntu, not Windows, but secure boot enabled and an efi partition(UEFI?) And LVM encryption - then I do the USB method or can I do just the cab file method, since its both for linux… or do I have to do both of those ?

Also, once I have disabled secure boot, when do I plug the USB back in - after letting it boot up and powering off, then plug it in, turn it back on and f12 (to avoid corrupting the USB) or do I do it shortly after exiting bios having just turned off secure boot ? Or both is fine ?

Going to try installing the new beta firmware. Since the version numbers are the same, is someone able to verify this is the actual updated BIOS that aims to resolve the DPC watchdog issues?

1 Like