Framework 13 AMD ryzen DIY edition 7640U Fedora 40 issues

Hello,

Just received my brand new framework 13 AMD ryzen 7640U DIY edition. I like the hardware but I have to say I am a bit disappointed with OS support.

I bought the laptop especially since it said Fedora was fully supported. So far on my second day I have the following problems on a brand new stock install of Fedora40 on the framework laptop:

1. Brigthness control doesn’t work.Fn + F7 or F8 key do nothing and the OS setting doesn’t even allow any brightness adjustment that I could find.

2. The PC doesn’t wake up from sleep. If I leave it unattended for some time and come back to it it is stuck on a black screen with a pulsating power button. Can’t wake it up at all only possible solution is a hard reset.

3. Even the installation of fedora following the guide didn’t work. I used the media writer as explained and tried to launch the usb live but it got immediately stuck on a static cursor with a black screen for 20 minutes. I had to hard reset. I eventually was able to install fedora by using the basic graphic driver option in the GRUB menu of the live usb.

I will admit I wasn’t expecting to have to fiddle that much. Is the issue fedora 40? Would I have a better experience on fedora 39?

Thanks

Best advice i can give you is search the community forum for each issue individually. As someone who has experienced the sleep issue, its a recurring problem. I have mitigated some issues like power draw while in sleep causing the laptop to overheat. But the sleep issue is still plaguing the hardware. I’m almost certain its a hardware/software issue that will be fixed at some point. I will link to my other threads that have addressed this to give you some things to try.

Read through the thread to give you some ideas.

Thanks for the suggestions but unfortunately I didn’t find any community post with resolutions for these problems.

I however found plenty of people asking for similar problems.

I opened a support ticket… Let’s see what kind of support I get on this. Might need to switch to Windows until stability of hardware is better… having to hard reboot the PC every time it sleeps is kind of a deal breaker.

I feel your pain

Re: sleep issues: What type of SSD are you using? Do you have another one available to play with? There are some reports in this forum about specific models (not 100% sure atm, but some WD models with not-the-latest firmware?) which can cause (wake from) sleep issues.

Also, very unlikely given it’s a new order/machine, but you are on BIOS 3.05 correct? The original 3.03 had Linux issues.

I upgraded my ssd firmware and am running the latest bios and still have issues with sleep cycles. Fortunately my overheating issues dissipated during those sleep cycles

What expansion cards are you using? If you use only USB C expansion cards, do any of the problems go away?

Which flavor of Fedora 40 are you running? I am running Kinoite and have not had any of these problems.

Thanks!

Scott

I’m using Fedora Silverblue 40 and have none of these problems. Brightness keys work fine and there were no issues with installation and sleep also works no problem.

Make sure to install system updates, the “brand new” stock kernel might have issues.

1 Like

@Antoine_Hamel Have you updated your firmware? The latest version is here. Also, you’re using PPD (power-profiles-daemon) instead of TLP? (PPD is recommended for AMD users). Also, is you hardware okay? Fedora 40 should boot up properly so there may be a hardware issue if it suddenly goes black and doesn’t show anything.

Try installing Windows 11 and check to see if it boots up with no major errors. If it has errors, then there’s a hardware issues.

To me it sounds like you’re booting in safe graphics mode and amdgpu isn’t loading.

Check your kernel command line for the word nomodeset. If you have that, take it off

1 Like

And also for any suspend issues, you should start with

1 Like

Re: SSD . I am using a WD_BLACK SN770 SSD . don’t have another one at the moment to easily swap but I could look into it. I’ll have to look into exactly how to go about upgrading the firmware on these I’m not familiar with that procedure

Re: Bios . Yes the Bios is indeed the latest one 3.05

Thanks for the help

I’ll try removing expansion cards. Not sure exactly what is the reasoning here but I’ll give it a go.

I am using the latest default flavor of fedora

The reasoning is that everything but the USB C cards have circuitry in them. They are USB devices. So you are simplifying the system by removing any other cards. It makes sure that it isn’t one of those cards causing you problems. Or it lets you find out that it is one of them causing you problems.

Thanks!

2 Likes

@Chris_J

Unit came in with 3.05 already installed. Maybe I was not clear I didn’t mean that the PC goes black on it’s own. Simply not resuming from sleep. I will have to look about the power profile but I think power profile daemon is the default right?

@Mario_Limonciello

I think you are onto something. I did infact install fedora40 in basic driver configuration since the live usb wasn’t booting otherwise and I indeed have nomodeset in the kernel command line in my grub config. I had noticed that earlier and I did try to remove the nomodeset but the system isn’t booting if I do so (stuck on black screen). I thought nomodeset simply meant that the driver would be loaded later during the boot process? Are you saying that they aren’t loaded at all?Aren’t those drivers included in the kernel already?

Thanks everyone for the help. FYI I did disable sleep entirely as a workaround temporarely so I don’t need to hard reset the machine everytime I leave it unattended but I would for sure like to find a real fix for these various issues.

You can’t use all the features of the graphics with nomodeset.

You’ll need to remove that.

Are you using KDE? If so there is a good chance you’re hitting a race condition at boot up with SDDM: SDDM races with DRM GPU drivers · Issue #1917 · sddm/sddm · GitHub

No I am not using KDE. Default stock fedora installation from the fedora live usb which is using gnome

Ok here is what I did so far :

1. I Updated my WD770 to the latest firmware since it was not. Will need to see if it solves sleep issues or not.

2. Removed all expansion cards.

3. Reset BIOS to default

4. Tried to remove nomodeset. If I remove it the system doesn’t boot at all. I think this is my main problem at the moment. Should I open a support ticket with Framework?

I don’t see what else I can do on my side. Seems to be a hardware issue. Only other thing I could think of is that my RAM might cause an issue but I don’t see what it would have to do with graphics issue I’m experimenting.

Just for information here is the ram in the system:

Crucial 32GB (2 x 16GB) 262-Pin DDR5 SO-DIMM DDR5 5600 Laptop Memory Model CT2K16G56C46S5

Can you share the journal from a black screen boot to a gist or pastebin?

You can get it from journalctl -b-1 for the previous boot.