Framework 13 Ryzen - Intune Compliance Issue (Pluton?)

Hi, we’re running into the same problem with the device we just added to our AAD & Intune. As a workaround we excluded the device from the policies, but do appreciate a solution. Is there any update?

Thanks, Tobias

@Kieran_Levin any update? Would really like to know if I’ll be able to use the laptop for its intended purpose soon (BYOD at work) or if I need to try and sell it and get something that is compatible with one of the largest/most popular device management tools…

Hi Everyone,
Update on this is we have been able to reproduce this on our system with AMD, and the reference design, so we have this escalated with Microsoft.

There are two TPMs that can be used, the Pluton TPM and an AMD PSP firmware TPM. The issue only reproduces on the Pluton TPM which is what we have enabled.

Switching from the Pluton TPM to the PSP firmware TPM is not something we want to enable at the moment, as it cannot be done seamlessly during the BIOS update process. We are going to track this with Microsoft.

3 Likes

Thanks for the update @Kieran_Levin love the machine and hope to be able to use it soon for the 10+ hours a day that I need a work machine :slight_smile:

Could you post your windows version?
Eg from intune → device ->Hardware:
We did some more experimenting and want to double check your are running the latest version of windows.

Screenshot 2024-01-09 085951

We are still debugging this with AMD/MSFT. However I ran into an issue that you might be able to help with me.

I was previously using a trial of Intune+Entra P2. But our trial expired. I migrated to Office 365 Business pro license which also includes Intune+Entra P1. From what I can find regarding licensing, this should have the same features we need to test.

However now I get a new error, that I was not seeing before: Do any of you think this could be related to licensing?

hi @Kieran_Levin, thats not related to the license.
Thats one of the issues we are facing here in the topic.

Same erros in Intune in my environment (E5 License)

@Kieran_Levin - I also have the same issue and just sent in my logfiles via ticket named “Submission from Service Request Form: Cannot get FW13 Compliant in InTune - known Pluto issue?”

I am happy to support, please DM me any time.

(Also happy to provide you guys a fully licensed E5 testuser if that helps).

Andreas

So I just had a call with an Intune Support Engineer. He will further analysed but shared the following with me:

The more I think about it, the more critical it gets.

Basically, like it is now, this chipset cannot be used for Business use if Intune should be used - this is something which Framework should clearly put on their website until the issue is fixed.

Also, I would kindly ask the Framework team to come up with a timeline if/when this is going to be fixed. We have several devices we would like to order but obviously won’t until we know this is fixed. If it cannot be fixed without replacing the hardware, this is a different discussion but knowing would help, because customers then either decide to go Intel or buy a different platform.

Andreas

After further debugging with both AMD and Microsoft, Microsoft has confirmed the issue is on the Windows end and they have escalated it internally to the relevant team. This means we don’t currently expect that any BIOS update will be needed to resolve Intune support. We don’t yet have feedback from Microsoft on the schedule on their end.

2 Likes

Alright, thank you @nrp!

Is there any news on this? As we have already commented on this thread this issue makes the AMD version of the Framework 13 (and the 16?) unusable in a business environment. At the very least it needs to be made very clear on the “Framework for Business” website that the AMD variant will not be functional if the customer employs Intune Compliance Policies for Encryption

4 Likes

Another user strobert linked me to this thread as we’re having similar issues with our own new AMD units:
AMD 13 & 16 - SecureBoot, CodeIntegrity & BitLocker erroneous reporting - Community Support - Framework Community

I’ve kicked off cases with our own MS contacts - will post to here if I unearth anything of substance.

We are still working with MSFT to get this resolved, but we do not have a resolution yet.
One thing that would be helpful for us at this point is to consolidate the different Microsoft case numbers.
If you are willing to do so, it would be helpful for us to get the case numbers through support. And mention in your subject:
Intune autopilot issue: Casenumber.

And mention to escalate this to Kieran.

Thanks!

3 Likes

Done!

Just noting two items here from trying to debug this:

Windows has an optional feature that you can install called tpmdiagnostics.exe

Which has some commands for attestation debug.

There is also a more advanced utility as part of the HLK, tpmutil.exe which has some more options, but some options look unsafe to use with attestation, (it looks like you can clear/reset/load attestation).

Switching from the Pluton TPM to the PSP firmware TPM is not something we want to enable at the moment, as it cannot be done seamlessly during the BIOS update process. We are going to track this with Microsoft.

is tpmutil.exe in reference to that earlier, if yes where do I find it, if not, how is that coming along so far? (I’d really prefer not using pluton)

@Kieran_Levin - cross posting from my other thread for visibility. I’ll message separately with case ref.

After some back and forth with our MS contacts and some support/diagnostic sessions - current opinion is that InTune IS in fact reading in the device status correctly, the fault is within InTune’s own reporting functions.

Latest I have right now is, and I quote:

“This is a Reporting issue from InTune end, this should be fixed by next InTune release.”

What I don’t have yet (I’m pressing for it) is a confirmation of that from the InTune engineering team, or visbility of it in the InTune development board.

Will update again as and when I get more.