Framework 16 Paint Chipping

Hey, is anyone noticing their paint chipping during regular normal use where you aren’t scratching the laptop at all? Only place I know where my 16 would be scratched is the TP module due to my watch, but there’s no scratches. Yet looking at the corners and some areas where the display makes contact with the frame when closed, there’s these marks that like, wont go away. Anyone else experiencing this? Is this normal?

Pictures perhaps?

1 Like

I am pretty sure the F16 is just aluminum and plastic with no paint present. I have a small bit of what I think you are reporting on one side, a black smudge on the aluminum next to the caps lock key. I assume it is just plastic from the monitor bezel.

3 Likes

Ditto, I also have paint chipping. Not a particular issue but it does nothing to alleviate the other “first generation issues” I’m having with mine.

Sorry, forgot to check this for a while. let me get some pictures up

Sorry, my phone isnt focussing so the photos might take some time :sob::sob:

@Flex4249 I had a similar problem Bottom Cover on 16" - Started to "fade" where I rest my hand

The top and bottom of the Laptop 16 are different metals: the bottom is magnesium for strength, while the top is aluminium for lightness. One of those is painted to match the color of the other, but I don’t recall which.

Magnesium is darker and less uniform-looking, so normally it gets painted.

I also remember from MS Surface days that they said that even though magnesium is denser, it still provides better rigidity for the same weight of material than aluminum. I think, aluminum is easier to work with than magnesium (you have to cast magnesium as it is brittle and wouldn’t survive a sheet form), plus maybe aliminum can hold itself easier at thicknesses lower than some threshold, although the latter is my pure conjecture, I am in no way an expert.

Sorry about the delays, my old phone just didn’t have the storage to take pics… I got these though if anyone still cares.

ive had that happen to me as well. the smaller chip in the left corner (that is closest to the latch) looks like one that came in manufacturing (i got two of those on the right of my laptop. they are now the least noticeable)

i personally find the whole issue slightly annoying but tolerable.

After couple months it seems mine is also starting a small chip going.

But it is not visible with a naked eye. Let’s see how it looks in half a year :slight_smile: