Bottom Cover on 16" - Started to "fade" where I rest my hand

This is a strange one for me, as before the framework laptop I had my 7+ years MacBook Pro (2015) and never had anything similar.

Somehow, the bottom cover started to “fade” in the area where I keep my hand.

Photo

Did anyone have similar issues with the cover/trackpad?

Other than that, I love this laptop :slightly_smiling_face:

So what laptop is that ?

Not a 13"

EDIT: update

OK so that’s a 16" Maybe edit the title
Done that for you :slight_smile:

We crafted the Framework Laptop 16 chassis from high performance materials like thixomolded magnesium alloy and machined aluminum.

As the chassis is metal I can only think you have salt from sweaty hands that acts as a corrosive. You ‘should’ be able to clean it; I can’t imagine it’s dirt or dye.

See this topic maybe too

Hi,
Thanks for updating the title.

Unfortunately, I don’t think that’s the same as is quite smooth and I couldn’t clean it.
Also, that’s the only area, so is not where I keep my hand while typing.

The only other laptop I can compare with is my old MacBook, and I didn’t have anything similar on that one.

I believe the bottom cover on the 16" is painted magnesium, so it sounds like the paint may be wearing off in that spot.

That makes sense then.

A bit strange, as that’s the only spot and I haven’t used the laptop too much.

Almost all the newer MacBooks are a machined basically straight aluminum; no painting, coatings, etc. The primary function was the conduction of heat to keep the noise from fans to a minimum. Other benefits are:

• Lightweight
  • Recyclable
  • Easily alloyed
  • Stronger than plastics
  • Easy to machine precisely
  • Quite resistant to stains/corrosion

That spot in your picture does look like paint worn away, or maybe it was anodized and reacted with something (skin oils, etc.) starting on the edge. :mag_right: :person_shrugging: