Framework Laptop 13 Ryzen 7040 BIOS 3.05 Release and Driver Bundle

This Happened to me too, laptop shut down, stayed on black screen for ~3h. first time till i force restarted and said decompress failed. second time it shutdown because it ran out of battery, upgrade started on 100%.

My FW 13 Ryzen came with 3.03, so I’ve never done a bios update before. I see the simplest approach is this:

fwupdmgr --force refresh

I’m on Ubuntu 22.04.3; do I need to follow the instructions here:

to switch to the snap of fwupd first?

The longer description of how to do the update using a USB key seems more complicated; when would you need to do that? Is that for distros that don’t have the latest fwupd available?

All help appreciated,
Martin

@Martin_David_Holmes Yes, please follow the instructions in the article you’ve linked. I have scripted those instructions as follows (to make it a one-shot update):

#!/usr/bin/env bash

set -xe

fwupdmgr refresh --force
fwupdmgr get-updates
fwupdmgr update

Since you’re on Ubuntu 22.04, you’d also need to update fwupd before updating firmware:

sudo apt remove fwupd
snap install fwupd

Thank you!

1 Like

That worked perfectly, although the update took a long time to complete. The fingerprint reader is working now too.

1 Like

After upgrading to 3.05, experienced serious issues with Fedora KDE. I tried reinstalling and also tried installing OpenSUSE. Both experienced the same problems. Periodically all apps would force close and the whole Plasma shell would crash - the screen would be completely black except for my cursor. Only option would be a hard reset.

After downgrading back to 3.03, I haven’t experienced the problem. Just wanted to warn others, maybe it only affects KDE.

2 Likes

Works fine here. Where those clean installs or did you retain some configuration (e.g home partition)? Sometimes configuration in ~/.config or ~/.cache can mess with KDE.

Could also be a memory incompatibility issue due to the many changes in the bios.

1 Like

These were fresh installs so there was nothing in config or cache to mess with things. My only bios change was disabling secure boot. My memory came from Framework.

framewwork laptop 13 ryzen bios 3.05 successfully updated yesterday via linux and fwupdmgr. the actual boot/POST with the update flashing process took quite a while but finished without errors. back into linux with 3.05 uefi firmware showing and present. thanks.

1 Like

I updated my Ryzen 7040 FW 13 to 3.05 (running Ubuntu 22.04) this weekend and it went well, but my system no longer stays asleep. Today I tried restarting the laptop, and without starting any programs I put it to sleep. It woke up by itself within 15 minutes. It is connected to a Dell monitor that provides power and USB connections to my mouse and keyboard, but this that’s how it was before 3.05 too. This issue seems to have been introduced by the upgrade to the 3.05 BIOS.

Is anyone else experiencing this?

Hey,
thanks for the update and support. I have updated the BIOS using fwupdmgr on Fedora 39 and there was no issue during the process. However, on Windows 11 I noticed that the Device Encryption option has vanished. I have so far checked the following things:

System Information
Device Encryption Support: Reasons for failed automatic device encryption: PCR7 binding is not supported, Un-allowed DMA-capable bus/device(s) detected, WinRE is not configured

PCR7 Configuration: Binding Not Possible

Secure Boot State: On

BIOS Mode: UEFI

powercfg /a
As far as I understand, PCR7 requires S0 to be supported, which is the case, confirmed by powercfg /a.

tpm.msc
Reports the TPM to be available.

BIOS settings
Secure Boot is enforced
TPM 1.1 is enabled and set to available

I have read that e.g. Lenove firmware updates disable Secure Boot during updating and sometimes do not re-enable it, but both the BIOS and Windows report Secure Boot to be enabled.

Has anyone else ran into this issue?

This sounds like the IRQ1 issue very likely. You can use a udev rule to turn off keyboard wakeup for now.

Thanks to you both for posting these. Worked well for me.

Btw: I’m on Ubuntu 22.04.4 and didn’t need to replace apt’s fwupd with a snap.

Apt shows its version as:
fwupd/jammy-updates,now 1.7.9-1~22.04.3 amd64 [installed]

Snap does show a newer version available:
$ snap find fwupd

Name Version Publisher Notes Summary
fwupd 1.9.16 richard-hughes - Firmware updates for Linux

Thought this may help other’s not sold on snap packages.

1 Like

@druneau thanks for posting this! What method did you use to collect your data and graph it?

I also perceived some sluggish fan ramp up after upgrading to bios 3.05.

This kind of thing is precisely why I like to benchmark my systems.

Running the same test again with the new bios appears to indicate lower CPU Temp at a cost of < 3% reduced throughput for both tests.

For anyone else experiencing this recently it doesn’t appear to be a result of the 3.05 BIOS. I reverted to the 3.03 BIOS and continue to have this problem.

I believe it must be a linux-kernel (6.8) or linux-firmware issue and I have filed a bug report with my distro for the problem Bug #2063143 “Frequent boot to black display” : Bugs : linux-meta package : Ubuntu

Might be worth booting with a prior kernel to see if that an acceptable workaround?

I have tried but unfortunately booting a prior kernel version just hangs even after downgrading linux-firmware to an (what I think is) acceptable version.

Not really sure what my next steps would be besides just wait and see what Ubuntu responds with and hope that some users here begin to see the issues I am having once Ubuntu Noble releases very very soon.

I used an ectool binary from the fw-fanctrl (never used those scripts) in order to run the command

ectool pwmgetfanrpm

in a 1 sec loop. Also gathered average cpu clock speeds with this command (thanks chat gpt lol)

awk '{ sum += $0 } END { print int((sum / NR) / 1000 + 0.5) }' /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu*/cpufreq/scaling_cur_freq

Then just used google sheet to create a chart. A chart with bad tickers on x axis… not very usefull.

It looks like you were right! The udev rule described here seemed to do the trick for me: Framework Laptop 13 Ryzen 7040 BIOS 3.05 Release and Driver Bundle - #14 by dimitris.

Thanks for the suggestion, @Mario_Limonciello!

2 Likes

That’s rough. Hope you find a tenable solution pronto.

Not sure if this is your daily driver. I’ve booted from an usb drive to have a running system and access my files while dealing with issues.

I’ve found this line is a good balance of performance/cost/space/size.